CVF members?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spikey

penn vet 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just at the RL/RI at UPENN, and was wondering if anyone on here is a member of their school's chapter of Christian Veterinary Mission?

look forward to hearing from you!

Members don't see this ad.

well hello fellow CVF-er. I'm a leader for Auburn's cvf chapter. are you coming to scavma symposium next week? wasn't rl/ri awesome?! i went to nc state's a few weeks ago and i loved it. :love:
woohoo cvf!

I am not a member yet but I plan on joining when I start at Ohio State this fall.
My boss is big into CVM, last year he went on a mission trip to Russia and the year before Bolivia.

I would love to do something like that one of these days.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
well hello fellow CVF-er. I'm a leader for Auburn's cvf chapter. are you coming to scavma symposium next week? wasn't rl/ri awesome?! i went to nc state's a few weeks ago and i loved it. :love:
woohoo cvf!

awesome! i may end up leading Penn's chapter next year; we'll see. i'm not going to symposium, but let me know how it goes! rl/ri was VERY awesome! i'm definately going each year.

bovine: do join! you will love the support and fellowship.
i want to go with one of the rl/ri vets from CVM to Africa someday. :D

I am on our school's e-mail list and I've gone to a few events, but I'm not too involved unfortunately. :( But I would LOVE to do a mission trip! Especially since in so many other countries, their animals are often their livelihood even more so than here in the States.

Just wondering, would it be very strange for a non-religious person to join CVF in order to participate in some of the missions? Some of the opportunitites sound amazing and they seem much more organized than some of the secular volunteer groups. Can anyone recommend other groups that support international trips (I especially like the idea of the shorter term trips that CVM does that allow for more flexibility) that promote animal education but refrain from sharing the Gospel?

I think it is great that you want to be a part of mission trips. I would talk to your CVF leader/prez and tell them your story. However, because they are a christian based group and a big part of mission trips is sharing God's love, then I don't know how comfortable fellow CVF people on the trip will feel knowing you are just along for the vet part of the trip (we have churches and people donate to fund a big portion of our trip, too, so you also have to think about them). We have other mission trips at our school that are not a part of CVF.
I don't know your history and your level of faith, but if I were you I would just start going to the CVF meetings for a while and see how you like it. and like I said, talk to your leader and see how they feel. Being a Christian is such a big part of vet school for me. In all the ups and downs I know I can make it thru and survive because I've got the Big Man watching over me. I find such a huge comfort in that that sometimes I wonder how non-Christians or non-believers can sanely make it through vet school! :eek:

Thanks for the information, sofficat. I'm not going to be in vet school until this fall, so I will feel out my school's chapter when I get there.

Whether or not I participate, it sounds like a great organization with the ability to help a lot of people!

Thanks for the information, sofficat. I'm not going to be in vet school until this fall, so I will feel out my school's chapter when I get there.

Whether or not I participate, it sounds like a great organization with the ability to help a lot of people!

if you don't want to join CVF, i know IVSA does mission trips (costa rica and stuff). international veterinary student association or something like that. if chipster comes on here, she's in it and she can tell you.

I find such a huge comfort in that that sometimes I wonder how non-Christians or non-believers can sanely make it through vet school! :eek:

Beer... and lots of it.

Seriously though... as a "non-believer" that comment kinda rubbed me the wrong way.... Some people may need religion... the rest of us do just fine thanks.

JulieDVM: Try attending a Christian (Church of Christ at that) undergrad university and being non Christian.

Honestly, it has been a very positive experience for me. I've become far more accepting of Christian people. However, it has also given me infinite capacity for ignoring comments which may make me feel a bit....judged.
Just remember, they don't usually mean it cruelly. It's just that their religion doesn't really leave much room for people who aren't part of it to be "truly" happy.

I find such a huge comfort in that that sometimes I wonder how non-Christians or non-believers can sanely make it through vet school! :eek:

I'm a non-christian and I am doing just fine in vet school. How do I do it? Two words: Caffeine Addiction :laugh:

I agree with JulieDVM that this comment is a little close minded...

This is extremely off-putting and closed-minded. Though I have to believe that wasn’t your intention, you should be aware of how your comments may be interpreted.

I think it’s great that you’ve found a belief system that works for you. I hope that belief system includes a genuine respect for those who believe differently from you.

I wonder how non-Christians or non-believers can sanely make it through vet school! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel that is extremely rude and close minded to condemn Sofficat in such a manner for expressing her OPINION.

It seems that there if there is a lack of respect for any body's belief system, it is the lack of respect for what Sofficat expressed. To me that it appears that in no way was she disrespectful to anyone's beliefs.

By not allowing Sofficat's point of view those who condemn her are being close minded.

I feel that is extremely rude and close minded to condemn Sofficat in such a manner for expressing her OPINION.

It seems that there if there is a lack of respect for any body's belief system, it is the lack of respect for what Sofficat expressed. To me that it appears that in no way was she disrespectful to anyone's beliefs.

By not allowing Sofficat's point of view those who condemn her are being close minded.

It isn't that people are being close-minded, just that the comment came across kind of brash. I personally have no problem with it. But, I can see how people could take it the wrong way, especially if they are not Christian.

Thats a load of BS.

The use of that stupid "Oh My God!" face in conjunction with the insinuation that those of us who do not subscribe to a religion (or Christianity in this case) are somehow less able to cope with the stress of vet school can easily be interpreted as a slant or a jab at non-believers.

I am all for the freedom of choice and have no problem with people worshiping whatever god they see fit - but i do not need to tolerate snide comments from 'holier than thou' individuals.

Muslims and Jewish people find plenty of comfort in their religions too... the same or even more depending on the strength of their faith!

For example, look at Muslims who pray 5 times a day and have that strong relationship with God during each prayer. Or, before eating or driving or taking an exam or before doing anything, some say 'In the name of God, the most gracious, the most merciful.' Certainly this is comforting to them.

I realize this is a Christian thread, so I'll leave it go at that. You seem like a really nice girl. Please just try to be more respectful to those of other faiths, even if you think yours is the only or the best or the true one.

Thank you Remy for stating the point in a much kinder, more rational way.
I think some of us just felt so utterly attacked that we jumped on her back without realizing that she may not have realized how judgmental she sounded.

These days, people can't comment on the weather without being called judgmental, close minded, pushing their beliefs on people, blah blah blah. If your belief system of choice (or lack of belief) is so fragile that you are constantly offended by comments from people from other belief systems, perhaps it's not the best belief system to be? :rolleyes: Please everyone on all sides build a bridge and get over it and go on about your business. Pleaseandthanks. :cool:

Okay, back to CVF stuff!

So back to on topic...a couple months ago, a married team (the husband is an orthopedic surgeon and the wife is a radiologist) gave us a presentation during the monthly SCAVMA meeting about their two trips out to Rwanda for Habitat for Humanity. They mostly did building stuff, but as soon as folks found they were vets, they were asked to look at some cattle. Being small animal practitioners, they hadn't seen too many since vet school, but they obliged. That was really neat and inspiring! If I don't get a chance to do a similar mission trip through a church or CVF, Habitat For Humanity would be neat! Don't laugh, but ever since watching the latest Rambo movie (of all things!), I have had a lot of respect for missionaries who risk their lives in remote places in the world.

Hey guys (back from spring break, hence the absence in this thread)

I'm really sorry to those I offended. In no way did I mean that in a negative or 'mightier then thou' kind of way. I way hoping the "!" and weird smiley face guy made it light hearted. I was simply commenting on the stressful nature of vet school.

Muslims and Jewish people find plenty of comfort in their religions too... the same or even more depending on the strength of their faith!

As far as muslims and jews etc... that's why I added 'non-believers' with 'non-christians.' Like you said, their faith is strong as well.

Thank you to those whose stuck up for me. If you knew me personally I would hope that you wouldn't think I was judgmental or close minded. I'm far from it and again I apologize to those that I offended. Sometimes I don't think about how people take what I say (and that has gotten me in trouble before too ;)).

So... back to the thread. CVF/CVM had it's savma breakfast this morning and I LOVED it!! Dr. Givens had such a great presentation. What a great Easter message, especially for those that will be traveling tomorrow and miss their home church's easter service. And Gene did great on guitar. What a great morning. Did any of you guys go? What did you think?

Also, to those who are members of your CVF, what type of activites do you do? What do you have time for? I'm planning on getting our CVF more involved next semester and I was hoping you have ideas

Okay, back to CVF stuff!

yes, please. i didn't make this thread for arguing, so if you're not in CVF and have nothing CONSTRUCTIVE to say, please do not post.

so Penn's CVF is analyzing CS Lewis' Mere Christianity. It sparks really great disscussions, and keeps us all thinking about our faith a bit more critically. We also had done a Bible study on the book of James on how to live out our faith on a daily basis.

I think they want me to lead the group next year, and so I want to try and start a board game meeting, either at lunch or after school, to get more people involved. We are also trying to meet up with the other Christian graduate groups/fellowships so that we can coordinate some things and get to know more Christians on campus.

What are your groups doing?

...so Penn's CVF is analyzing CS Lewis' Mere Christianity. It sparks really great disscussions, and keeps us all thinking about our faith a bit more critically. We also had done a Bible study on the book of James on how to live out our faith on a daily basis...

That is a good book. There is a movie (which I have, of course, forgotten the name of) about C.S. Lewis's life that is fabulous as well.

I also recommend the book What's So Amazing About Grace? by Yancy. It's also a fabulous book.

I do apologize if I made anyone feel attacked earlier. I was actually just trying to reassure julieDVM that the comment which offended her was in no way meant to personally attack non Christians without minimizing her feelings. Having been in a Christian university for four years now as a non Christian, I've learned that often these comments are not meant to be hurtful, but encouraging. (I've also gained a lot of respect for Christians and a bit of jealousy because there is never a mission trip I can go on, but that is a completely different subject).

This is a really exciting thread for me to read. My passion for missions is one of the few things that compares to my passion for vet med! I am actually deferring vet school for a year to spend the year working at a Christian school for the deaf in a third world country. When I start vet school, though, I am really excited to be a part of CVF, build relationships and accountability with other Christians in the profession, and hopefully continuing doing missions works.

Funny, when people are shocked and ask me how I can get through vet school without getting wasted every weekend, no one calls them closed-minded or judgemental.

I'm very thankful for the CVF group here. I can actually go hang out with fellow vet students in an out of school environment without having alcohol shoved in my face or people shooting nasty looks at me just because I don't drink or party the way they do. I think the potlucks and Bible studies are some of the best times during vet school for me.

Funny, when people are shocked and ask me how I can get through vet school without getting wasted every weekend, no one calls them closed-minded or judgemental.

I'm very thankful for the CVF group here. I can actually go hang out with fellow vet students in an out of school environment without having alcohol shoved in my face or people shooting nasty looks at me just because I don't drink or party the way they do. I think the potlucks and Bible studies are some of the best times during vet school for me.

so absolutely true!

can i ask for prayers from you guys for me. i've been called to lead the group at Penn this coming year, and i want to make the most of my time for Christ. thanks guys!

any ideas for the group would be appreciated as well :]

That's awesome! Congrats. Our group here might be falling apart because no one wants to fill the leadership roles. I don't have much help with the ideas though we pretty much just have weekly prayer, potlucks, Bible studies and the general meeting.

That's awesome! Congrats. Our group here might be falling apart because no one wants to fill the leadership roles. I don't have much help with the ideas though we pretty much just have weekly prayer, potlucks, Bible studies and the general meeting.

i'll be praying for your group, Hearsong! i hope you can get some people to step up to the plate. potlucks are a good idea! i'll keep that in mind.