CVS 7 straight working day settlement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CARph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got the letter on the final settlement. Did anyone else get it? Are you happy with your settlement amount? For those who don't know about it here's the information: http://falveylaw.com/cases/stark-v-cvs/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just more people complaining they want something they think they deserve. Pharmacists have been working 7 on 7 off in hospitals, retail, and LTC forever. You have 7 days off. And now you want to sue for it? American problems.

Reactions: 1 user
as much as I hate to say it - I gotta side with CVS on this one - you agreed to and signed up to do this (I did it for a year- I worked 7 x 10 hour days- got paid for 80 hours - if I went to my boss and bitched about overtime? sorry - you are reassigned/fired. It is one thing if they made you change your schedule to this after the face, but no, this is what you signed on to when you were hired.

If I was CVS, I would say, ok, sorry, you will work 4 on, 3 off overnight shifts and be happy with it, or they will cut your hours.

Damn, techs at our hospital work 8 on 6 off and are fighting for that shift with no overtime

Only in California! You also get 30 mins for lunch and two 15 mins break. Anything over 8 hours/day is OT. Anything over 40 hours/week is OT.

Only in California! You also get 30 mins for lunch and two 15 mins break. Anything over 8 hours/day is OT. Anything over 40 hours/week is OT.
Guess I should sue my job.

Within a 4 hour shift, you get a 15 mins break. You can do whatever you like. Go for a snack. 15 mins walk. Call your significant other. Whatever you like.

I know some pharmacists would rather work 11 hours straight without a lunch break but you have to think of your health and your youth. Once you loss it, you wont get it back

Within a 4 hour shift, you get a 15 mins break. You can do whatever you like. Go for a snack. 15 mins walk. Call your significant other. Whatever you like.

Sorry, I thought the quotes would imply enough sarcasm. Taking breaks is technically the law, but where I worked everyone pretty much "chose" to work through their breaks. Just when there were no phones ringing or customers in line/at drive thru people might go buy a snack or drink from the store. I remember feeling silly when I first started working asking when I could take my 15. Things were still busy around us and it was already almost lunch... The lead tech only half-sarcastically said "Break? What's a break?".

Few thoughts:

1) While I personally side with CVS on the idea of 7 on in general (since the usual set up is work 7 days, get paid for 80hrs, get 7 days off), that isn't the case being argued here, it seems.

2) The law is the law, work 7 days straight = 7th day is 1.5x OT. If you don't like the law, move out of California, or change it. There's 49 other states + PR, last I checked. And there's this thing called the initiative process in CA. Stop complaining.

3) This particular case here appears to involve floaters who stitch together 7 days straight, NOT regular 7-on-7-off people who are more than compensated for the OT with extra pay for hours not worked. It's an accounting issue that CVS wasn't set up to automatically figure out...still, not paying OT because of an accounting error = a big no no.

I don't even think CVS denied this, their argument was that this was one big ass violation and not a bunch of little ones (which would reduce their fine).

At least, this is what I gather from the website posted and the summary judgement.

As a side note, anyone read the judgement? The judge cites the bible (Genesis 2:2) and equates CVS to a child rapist.

http://falveylaw.com/assets/pdf/CVS/Stark-v.-CVS-Complaint-Conformed.pdf

The original complaint appears to cite many other violations, including your standard failure to pay OT for > 8hrs or > 40hrs. Topic of discussion remains 7 days = OT.

Another comment: this is a really old lawsuit from like 2008. I've received a handful of "failure to pay XXX" settlements over the years from my time with CVS. I thought all the pending lawsuits had already cleared by now.

As a side note, anyone read the judgement? The judge cites the bible (Genesis 2:2) and equates CVS to a child rapist.

I finally did read it. The judge issuing the ruling seems unique...perhaps grandiose?
And his/her writing skills are such that the sermon on grammar on pages 2-3 gave me some chuckles.