CVS buys Target pharmacies!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CVS buys entire target pharmacy services for 1.9 billion. Facebook pays 19 billion for WhatsApp messenger. Whats wrong with this picture???

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
CVS buys entire target pharmacy services for 1.9 billion. Facebook pays 19 billion for WhatsApp messenger. Whats wrong with this picture???

The tech industry can get investors to throw money at startups with questionable (or nonexistent) business models, whereas no one wants to pay pharmacists to do MTM and other services under "provider status." It's also one of the reasons why it's a great time to be a software engineer but not a pharmacist.

Reactions: 1 users
So does this mean that CVS is where all of the hipsters will apply to now?

That Cafe Mocha lifestyle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tbe problem is that Target pharmacy is losing money! So CVS is not going to leave them alone. If the pharmacy doesn't make money then CVS will close it down. It doesn't cost them that much money to close down a pharmacy inside of a Target. They just have to move the inventory to another pharmacy and turn off the light.
I hope and PRAY that CVS will close down the Pharmacy DEPT inside of the Target near the town I reside in; I'd sacrifice your left testicle to get the opportunity to lease a pharmacy space inside of Target.

Are you SERIOUS with your interpretation of this?

I'm a student, but I definitely understand what is going on here. You're a ***** if you're really a pharmacist....

The author is linking the publicly available CMS data (claim count, total claim cost, # of unique members, # of distinct doctors) with an INDEPENDENT PHARMACY's data to extrapolate what the author assumes is the spread and pharmacy profit.

For the same drugs and time period reported by Medicare, prescription claims for Part D plans for a midsize independent pharmacy were examined, and the Pharmacy Reimbursement (also known as the adjudicated amount) and cost basis of the drug product were extracted. From these values, the following were calculated:
  • Cost/Claim minus Pharmacy Reimbursement = PBM Spread
  • Pharmacy Reimbursement minus cost basis = Pharmacy profit
Don't even PRETEND you know what is going on here...this is comparing apples (GOVERNMENT COMPILED DATA ACROSS ALL PART D DISPENSING PHARMACIES) to oranges (ONE - I EMPHASIZE, ONE INDEPENDENT PHARMACY). Obviously, the acquistion cost of one independent pharmacy's drugs is going to be much lower than the NATIONAL average of ALL pharmacies. This deflates the pharmacy profit value shown in the table.

The reason Revlimid is EXCLUDED IS BECAUSE IT'S A LIMITED DISTRIBUTION DRUG. Google that - you'll discover the manufacturer only awards pharmacy networks to specialty pharmacies that are proven to drive adherence and patient support programs.

Did you flunk journal club at school? This is ridiculous you go on a rant but can't understand what's going on.

What is your level of reading comprehension?

I'm sorry, did you say something?

"Obviously, the acquistion cost of one independent pharmacy's drugs is going to be much lower than the NATIONAL average of ALL pharmacies"

"The reason Revlimid is EXCLUDED IS BECAUSE IT'S A LIMITED DISTRIBUTION DRUG. Google that - you'll discover the manufacturer only awards pharmacy networks to specialty pharmacies that are proven to drive adherence and patient support programs"

Young grasshoppa', you have much to learn.

For the young-ins: Pets.com

Of Target pharmacy and WhatsApp, only one is properly valued. I'll let you guess which is which.

Totally called it 3 years ago! I also called Safeway who sold to the private equity group that owns Albertson's. I'm a genius.

You and BMB have been fortune tellers for quite some time now. Not sure who has a better track record ;).

"And having contributed to that digression I offer this. Target pharmacists will be fine. Cvs has ZERO incentive to go full kpi nazi. The CEOs just started a new relationship and neither one is going to rock the boat. Cvs will assume for the first few years that their buying power and leverage in the PBM game will provide plenty of improvemets to keep shareholders happy. This isn't a buy out but a marriage. And cvs doesn't want to come in and upset employees and customers that creates problems for the target CEO."

Stage 1/5 in the Five Stages of Grief: Denial.

Here it is...

http://www.drugchannels.net/2015/06/alex-gourlay-shakes-off-walgreens-old.html

Alex Gourlay, the former Alliance Boots executive who is now president of Walgreens concedes that Walgreens faces challenges, outlines his strategic priorities, and hints at the company’s plans to acquire or partner with a pharmacy benefit manager (PBM).

Most Wall Street analysts expect a partnership with Express Scripts or UnitedHealth Group’s OptumRx PBM. Though a partnership is the obvious next step, it’s also fun to speculate on whom WBA could buy. Many speculate that it could be Express Scripts, but I’m skeptical about M&A with the PBM’s current management team.

Name one Medicare Part D plan that is managed in house by a health plan/insurance company.

Kaiser which is HUGE in California and growing though the health exchange. But it's combined with medicare part a and b, so I am not sure if this what you are asking.

Name one Medicare Part D plan that is managed in house by a health plan/insurance company.

ALL of the local Independence Blue Cross Plans are self managed but they hire a PBM to process the claims. One they own and they don't. The Federal Blue Cross Plan is run by the feds and just administered by Caremark... But for the most part, the people that are left in Part D world can be divided into three categories:

PDM run (Silverscript)
Plan run and PBM administered. (IBC)
Organization run and PBM administered (AARP)

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaiser which is HUGE in California and growing though the health exchange. But it's combined with medicare part a and b, so I am not sure if this what you are asking.

No, that's Medicare Part C or whats commonly referred to as a Medicare Advantage Plan.

There are no stand alone Medicare Part D plans that are not run and/or managed by a PBM.

No, that's Medicare Part C or whats commonly referred to as a Medicare Advantage Plan.

There are no stand alone Medicare Part D plans that are not run and/or managed by a PBM.

Define run........

OT, I'll be quite honest with you I lost track of why we were even talking about this. Something about quality measures...

We were talking about this because you said the only ones benefitting from quality performance bonuses were PBMs and drug manufacturers.

I don't get independent pharmacists. You know this is how the PBMs play the game but yet, you still went into independent pharmacy. Here you are. Complaining about how this and that is not fair.

The PBMs, the chains, your neighborhood pharmacies are using every opportunity to get rid of you. That is how it works in business. It is never fair. If you can't handle it then get out.

I don't get independent pharmacists. You know this is how the PBMs play the game but yet, you still went into independent pharmacy. Here you are. Complaining about how this and that is not fair.

The PBMs, the chains, your neighborhood pharmacies are using every opportunity to get rid of you. That is how it works in business. It is never fair. If you can't handle it then get out.

Again, you've never clarified to this board EXACTLY what you do in the realm of Pharmacy or if you even practice Pharmacy.

Your stance in the quote above is absolutely SHAMEFUL and Anti-American. Independent Pharmacy is PURE pharmacy practice where the important professional AND business decisions are made by a Pharmacist. Non-Pharmacists should never be profiteering more than Pharmacists from the practice of Pharmacy but that's not an opinion that you apparently share.

Again, you've never clarified to this board EXACTLY what you do in the realm of Pharmacy or if you even practice Pharmacy.

Your stance in the quote above is absolutely SHAMEFUL and Anti-American. Independent Pharmacy is PURE pharmacy practice where the important professional AND business decisions are made by a Pharmacist. Non-Pharmacists should never be profiteering more than Pharmacists from the practice of Pharmacy but that's not an opinion that you apparently share.
Managed care I believe

Yes, anyone who doesn't support your view point is anti-American? Give me a break.

Look, I am for independent pharmacies. It is good for everyone. But it is YOU who chose to go head on with the 800 pound gorilla. This is the life and work you have chosen. The more risk you take the more reward right? So please don't give me your tears and your whining. You have other things to worry about.

Managed care I believe

that would explain a lot, including his anti-independent Pharmacy (and therefore ANTI-PHARMACIST) positions and his online boasting of "leaving by 5pm everyday with all the rest of his colleagues."

Like a "good" German soldier who was "just doing their job" during WWII, he is aiding and abetting the marginalization of the very profession that he spent 6-8 years in school and tuition to become a part of.

Yes, anyone who doesn't support your view point is anti-American? Give me a break.

Look, I am for independent pharmacies. It is good for everyone. But it is YOU who chose to go head on with the 800 pound gorilla. This is the life and work you have chosen. The more risk you take the more reward right? So please don't give me your tears and your whining. You have other things to worry about.

Are the artificial price ceilings that PBMs set (MAC prices out of thin air) while data-mining their competition and limiting access to patient lives aspects of what you'd deem a free and openly competitive market.... IE American principles?

Here are my thoughts on this...

This was exciting for me and my co workers because we were always jealous of our Target classmates

Target pharmacists will find themselves with comparable pay, and if anything, increased compensation especially via benefits. They will also get to keep their seniority. (That goes in hand with CVS acquisition policy, and us paying for "the best" to retain talent and keep customers and if the pharmacist is not good, manage them out).

What they will get in return is a can of ass whooping in terms of what they have to do, and what they have to deal with. If they know how to manage stress, prioritize ****, and quickly understand what is important; urgent, they might do okay.

Their volume sucks to begin with and the customers are not too bad like another poster said. So Target pharmacists might win in the sense that CVS don't expect you to grow your business like Target does, but they might get more pressure with metrics such as PCQ calls or flu shots.

For CVS, this is all about winning market and customer share to prop up their PBM, Minute clinic and specialty side. The opportunity to open clinics and then get it filled by a RPH at Target is just cherry on the topping. They also gain a lot of customers overnight which lets them sell more contracts to PBM, and specialty drugs. Because they are such a big player, they can negotiate further discounts with wholesalers and especially specialty drug companies. They can easily buy drugs like Harvoni for steep discounts bc they own Omnicare and Target pharmacies, then win more employer contracts for their PBM plans from "savings", and still make lots of money from all three players.

It is a cycle that keeps on perpetuating.

Also, CVS does not give a rat **** about independent pharmacies bc... frankly, they have bigger things to worry about. If anything, independent pharmacies are victims of a drive by shooting. bang bang bang...

PS.. the 90 day supply thing is similar to mandatory Mail Order... except they can go to CVS if they choose to. I don't think that should make CVS the bad guy. I cant fill any Medco refills either.

I also do not agree with mandatory mail order/pharmacy fill but just saying...

that would explain a lot, including his anti-independent Pharmacy (and therefore ANTI-PHARMACIST) positions and his online boasting of "leaving by 5pm everyday with all the rest of his colleagues."

Like a "good" German soldier who was "just doing their job" during WWII, he is aiding and abetting the marginalization of the very profession that he spent 6-8 years in school and tuition to become a part of.

It's so funny to see you get so worked up when someone says anything bad about independents.I think you just make more of us dislike independent pharmacies, you dont act that much different than the "evil" corporations.

Here are my thoughts on this...

This was exciting for me and my co workers because we were always jealous of our Target classmates

Target pharmacists will find themselves with comparable pay, and if anything, increased compensation especially via benefits. They will also get to keep their seniority. (That goes in hand with CVS acquisition policy, and us paying for "the best" to retain talent and keep customers and if the pharmacist is not good, manage them out).

What they will get in return is a can of ass whooping in terms of what they have to do, and what they have to deal with. If they know how to manage stress, prioritize ****, and quickly understand what is important; urgent, they might do okay.

Their volume sucks to begin with and the customers are not too bad like another poster said. So Target pharmacists might win in the sense that CVS don't expect you to grow your business like Target does, but they might get more pressure with metrics such as PCQ calls or flu shots.

For CVS, this is all about winning market and customer share to prop up their PBM, Minute clinic and specialty side. The opportunity to open clinics and then get it filled by a RPH at Target is just cherry on the topping. They also gain a lot of customers overnight which lets them sell more contracts to PBM, and specialty drugs. Because they are such a big player, they can negotiate further discounts with wholesalers and especially specialty drug companies. They can easily buy drugs like Harvoni for steep discounts bc they own Omnicare and Target pharmacies, then win more employer contracts for their PBM plans from "savings", and still make lots of money from all three players.

Also, CVS does not give a rat **** about independent pharmacies bc... frankly, they have bigger things to worry about. If anything, independent pharmacies are victims of a drive by shooting. bang bang bang...

PS.. the 90 day supply thing is similar to mandatory Mail Order... except they can go to CVS if they choose to. I don't think that should make CVS the bad guy. I cant fill any Medco refills either.

I also do not agree with mandatory mail order/pharmacy fill but just saying...

I'll summarize your post:

"CVS is AWFUL; now my better qualified classmates that were hired by Target get to suffer just as much as I DO!"--followed by a James Bond villain laugh

" Yeah, CVS has an entirely anti-competitive business policy driven entirely by corporate greed by mandating the use of pharmacies that it has a financial stake in, but Express Scripts also engages in this anti-competitive practice so why does that make CVS the bad guy? I mean really, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' ".....

It's so funny to see you get so worked up when someone says anything bad about independents.I think you just make more of us dislike independent pharmacies, you dont act that much different than the "evil" corporations.

It's entirely ironic that a Pharmacy student (per your profile) professes to "disliking independent Pharmacies" when Independent Pharmacy is the practice of PHARMACY in it's purest form as I stated in a previous post.

You're like a pre-med student who writes " I don't want to practice with autonomy, I want to have my clinical expertise and business decisions dictated entirely to me by a corporation/ Insurer". .......except that you'll NEVER see a Pre-med student write that. And that's likely the underlying issue with our profession; it's full of PU$$IE$.

It's entirely ironic that a Pharmacy student (per your profile) professes to "disliking independent Pharmacies" when Independent Pharmacy is the practice of PHARMACY in it's purest form as I stated in a previous post.

You're like a pre-med student who writes " I don't want to practice with autonomy, I want to have my clinical expertise and business decisions dictated entirely to me by a corporation/ Insurer". .......except that you'll NEVER see a Pre-med student write that. And that's likely the underlying issue with our profession; it's full of PU$$IE$.

Would I rather be over-worked and underpaid at an independent pharmacy? No, thanks. I have interned and done rotations at independents, they are no different than corporations except they make less money. However, maybe you can explain to me what "real pharmacy" is. Pharmacy as you know it has only been around for a very very short amount of time. If you arent going out and grabbing berries and weeds and making your own drugs (which is illegal) then all you are doing is the same as everyone else.

So, please, get off your high horse and realize you are no better than the evil corporations you hate....someone has to make the decisions.

Would I rather be over-worked and underpaid at an independent pharmacy? No, thanks. I have interned and done rotations at independents, they are no different than corporations except they make less money. However, maybe you can explain to me what "real pharmacy" is. Pharmacy as you know it has only been around for a very very short amount of time. If you arent going out and grabbing berries and weeds and making your own drugs (which is illegal) then all you are doing is the same as everyone else.

So, please, get off your high horse and realize you are no better than the evil corporations you hate....someone has to make the decisions.

For emphasis:

For emphasis:

See, you have it wrong, I don't want that, but unlike you, I understand why it is needed. There is no way independents would be able to handle the workflow of all the chains without incorporating all the problems that come along with a chain. There really is no need for independents these days unless they have some specialty niche like HRT.

See, you have it wrong, I don't want that, but unlike you, I understand why it is needed. There is no way independents would be able to handle the workflow of all the chains without incorporating all the problems that come along with a chain. There really is no need for independents these days unless they have some specialty niche like HRT.

No need for an independent? Talk to our current patients IE. FORMER patients of chain stores.

Look at the number of independent pharmacies vs chain pharmacies that got disciplined by the board of pharmacy (starting on page 35):

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/15_winter_script.pdf

You may say that the chain pharmacies have better lawyers. That may be true but it is also true that there is not much incentive for a chain pharmacist to cheat the system since the money would go to the chain. High risk and low reward.

On the other hand as an independent pharmacist, you keep every dollar you cheat from the system. Same risk but much greater reward. Many of them think they can get away with it because there isn't much oversight. Who is going to know right?

I used to work at an independent pharmacy and I would have seriously considered it if everyone played by the same rules. In this business, if you are not cheating the system, you are at a major disadvantage. You play by the rules and your competitors are going to eat your lunch.

Look at the number of independent pharmacies vs chain pharmacies that got disciplined by the board of pharmacy (starting on page 35):

You may say that the chain pharmacies have better lawyers. That may be true but it is also true that there is not much incentive for a chain pharmacist to cheat the system since the money would go to the chain. High risk and low reward.

On the other hand as an independent pharmacist, you keep every dollar you cheat from the system. Same risk but much greater reward. Many of them think they can get away with it because there isn't much oversight. Who is going to know right?

I used to work at an independent pharmacy and I would have seriously considered it if everyone played by the same rules. In this business, if you are not cheating the system, you are at a major disadvantage. You play by the rules and your competitors are going to eat your lunch.

Right on cue....BMB insults the integrity of Pharmacists while proclaiming that he is one of us and that if independent Pharmacies don't cheat, they can't compete. There are ~22,000 independent pharmacies and I firmly believe that if it was mandated by law that ONLY Pharmacists could directly own pharmacies, we'd be a much better position and we'd see much less of these sanctions...

I could show you an independent Pharmacy right in Dallas who should be shut down as they were essentially extorting the system by hiring telemarketers and sending patient's medication that they never ordered all the while billing a third party. (and it's owned by a pharmacy tech and her non Pharmacist husband)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/investigation-insurance-billed-18000-for-unwanted-pain-meds/

Right on cue....BMB insults the integrity of Pharmacists while proclaiming that he is one of us and that if independent Pharmacies don't cheat, they can't compete. There are ~22,000 independent pharmacies and I firmly believe that if it was mandated by law that ONLY Pharmacists could directly own pharmacies, we'd be a much better position and we'd see much less of these sanctions...

I could show you an independent Pharmacy right in Dallas who should be shut down as they were essentially extorting the system by hiring telemarketers and sending patient's medication that they never ordered all the while billing a third party. (and it's owned by a pharmacy tech and her non Pharmacist husband)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/investigation-insurance-billed-18000-for-unwanted-pain-meds/

Do we really need to cite all of the pharmacists who get arrested for stealing or fraud just to show you that no one is infallible? A pharmacy owned by a pharmacist isn't magically going to make it this perfect place. In fact, I would imagine it would be much much worse.

I'll summarize your post:

"CVS is AWFUL; now my better qualified classmates that were hired by Target get to suffer just as much as I DO!"--followed by a James Bond villain laugh

" Yeah, CVS has an entirely anti-competitive business policy driven entirely by corporate greed by mandating the use of pharmacies that it has a financial stake in, but Express Scripts also engages in this anti-competitive practice so why does that make CVS the bad guy? I mean really, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' ".....

If I'm not mistaken I believe that this poster made quite a sizable bonus from cvs last year. Nearly five figures if I remember right. I'm not saying that he is either better or worse qualified, like you did, simply because of what company he works for or the size of bonus that he got compared to his peers. However you insinuating that is really an ugly color.

This makes me wonder if they will pitch target their Caremark insurance now that they will all have a cvs pharmacy in their store. Target has been using catamaran for our prescription insurance for awhile now. What better time than to make a hell of an offer to get all of Targets employees into cvs Caremark.

This makes me wonder if they will pitch target their Caremark insurance now that they will all have a cvs pharmacy in their store. Target has been using catamaran for our prescription insurance for awhile now. What better time than to make a hell of an offer to get all of Targets employees into cvs Caremark.

That is a good point. CVS may have just gotten a huge PBM contract.

I am predicting Walgreens will form a partnership with Express Scripts or take over Kroger pharmacies or both. Walgreens and Express Scripts are still restructuring and CVS knows it. CVS is on the offensive. Its stock is at an all time high.

I
Do we really need to cite all of the pharmacists who get arrested for stealing or fraud just to show you that no one is infallible? A pharmacy owned by a pharmacist isn't magically going to make it this perfect place. In fact, I would imagine it would be much much worse.
If you don't believe that the average pharmacist has more integrity and is held to a higher standard than the average person, you've got one awful peer group of pharmacists that you associate with.

Can we leave the references to GENOCIDE out of this, please? It cheapens what happened- people were slaughtered. Thank you.

Can we leave the references to GENOCIDE out of this, please? It cheapens what happened- people were slaughtered. Thank you.
^^^another person who can't see the forest for the trees...

How about a reference towards Stockholm syndrome? Does that less affect your core sensibilities?

Edit: now I realize your underlying issue... You're in academia ( per your profile) . We will "MTM" our way to profitability, right?

Last edited:
First he called me anti-American. Now I am a "good" German soldier during WWII. Why? Because I didn't support his viewpoint?

You were a "corporate tool" when you worked for Express Scripts/MedCo. If they didn't laid you off, you would probably be working there now. You needed to earn a living. You needed to make money. That is why you opened a pharmacy, not because you care so much about this profession. So don't think you are better than anyone here or you care more than anyone here.

I am sorry you got the axed. You are not the first on this forum. Don't let the bitterness get to you.

And yes, you may have the last word. You need to be right.

First he called me anti-American. Now I am a "good" German soldier during WWII. Why? Because I didn't support his viewpoint?

You were a "corporate tool" when you worked for Express Scripts/MedCo. If they didn't laid you off, you would probably be working there now. You needed to earn a living. You needed to make money. That is why you opened a pharmacy, not because you care so much about this profession. So don't think you are better than anyone here or you care more than anyone here.

I am sorry you got the axed. You are not the first on this forum. Don't let the bitterness get to you.

And yes, you may have the last word. You need to be right.

:)I actually have worked for TWO PBMs...alas, I was a mere 1 year and 4 years into my pharmacy career before working for each, but I then saw the light while working at various INDIES on weekends and became educated on the deleterious effects that corporate America, and particularly PBMs, have on our profession. I was working with a broker for almost 2 years before buying my store.The benefit of the severance from ESI after they closed the small PBM I worked for? It allowed me to purchase a more expensive store than I otherwise would have been able to and that has proven to be far more lucrative with me running it than it was when I bought it; and it was doing very well back then too.

But I wish for ALL Pharmacists to have the opportunity that I had, but the unfair market conditions that are created SOLELY by the PBMs don't allow for that to be our current reality. And despite me pointing this out to you (repeatedly) you continue to partake day in and day out, with every hour you give to that corporation, and you continue arguing that you are in fact not fostering( DAILY) the demise of our profession. But you ARE.

You should go get with a Pharmacy broker and save your Pharmacy soul.

"What will a CVS within a Target look like? CVS and Target are calling the arrangement a “store-within-a-store” design. From the Target call, it is specified that Target will still sell its own branded OTCs. Therefore, the CVS presence will be relegated to behind-the-counter space, counseling rooms and clinic space in the form of Minute Clinics. I wonder if Target will be returning any money to CVS for the time spent by CVS pharmacists over-the-counter in Target “territory” selling Target-branded OTCs."

INTERESTING....those Target Pharmacists are about to have Tech help cut down to NOTHING since those pharmacies are relegated to behind the counter ONLY profitability...

https://benurick.wordpress.com/2015...harmacies-a-pharmacists-perspective/#comments

I am predicting Walgreens will form a partnership with Express Scripts or take over Kroger pharmacies or both. Walgreens and Express Scripts are still restructuring and CVS knows it. CVS is on the offensive. Its stock is at an all time high.

You're a little late on that prediction...see my post above.

Kroger? Kroger is the strongest grocery store chain right now. They also own their own wholesaler. Look for Kroger to buy someone else if anything.

You also have to realize that any big corporation is a big target relative to a small business. Fight and win a bunch of little battles or fight and settle one big one? More money in the war chest means more money someone can try and steal from the war chest.

I keep waiting for "CVS declares bankruptcy" headlines but I guess we are a long ways off from that. Poor Target staff...

Just this afternoon was driving to an event about 45 minutes away in a relatively nice suburb when I pulled up to a Chase bank near the corner of a busy intersection. On one corner was a CVS. Kitty corner was a Target....what are they going to do, have two CVSs within 200 to 300 feet of each other? How this whole thing plays out will be seriously interesting. I have read all the articles by the "experts" who speak glowingly about this pseudo merger but I think it will not work out ultimately...I am calling it now. Two years from now will bump this post to see if my hunch was right.

You're a little late on that prediction...see my post above.

Kroger? Kroger is the strongest grocery store chain right now. They also own their own wholesaler. Look for Kroger to buy someone else if anything.

QUOTE ME ON THIS, Kroger is not being bought out by any competitors. MPD has quite of bit of experience with Krogers. he knows what he is talking about also.

I keep waiting for "CVS declares bankruptcy" headlines but I guess we are a long ways off from that. Poor Target staff...
hopeful wishful thinking but that ain't happening either