CVS changing pay rate after contract signed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squeakapotomus

Rad Dude
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently signed a contract to work for CVS after I graduate in June of 2017. The contract says I will get $22.50 as my P4 intern rate and $34.50 as a grad intern.

I am supposed to start the on-boarding process soon.They just sent me an email saying my pay rate will be different than the contract. Has this happened to anyone else?

How can they just change your pay rate? This seems extremely unprofessional and possibly illegal.

The reason they gave for the pay rate change is that the salary for interns in this market is lower. Sounds like a circular argument because they set the rate!

Members don't see this ad.

I recently signed a contract to work for CVS after I graduate in June of 2017. The contract says I will get $22.50 as my P4 intern rate and $34.50 as a grad intern.

I am supposed to start the on-boarding process soon.They just sent me an email saying my pay rate will be different than the contract. Has this happened to anyone else?

How can they just change your pay rate? This seems extremely unprofessional and possibly illegal.

The reason they gave for the pay rate change is that the salary for interns in this market is lower. Sounds like a circular argument because they set the rate!
Does the offer specify a geographic region?

it might be more of a formality than a contract

Members don't see this ad :)
There's usually some sort of clause that says they can modify or rescind the offer. You can get a pay cut, lose hours or laid off at any time. Nothing is set in stone. This applies to all jobs in all fields.

You guys can stop quoting me I don't really care how much you guys made as interns. I was just telling OP that his rate seems good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There's usually some sort of clause that says they can modify or rescind the offer. You can get a pay cut, lose hours or laid off at any time. Nothing is set in stone. This applies to all jobs in all fields.

If you get close to $22/hr as a P4 more power to you. I only got $15 3 years ago.

$22 as P4 seems low. I am P1 and some of my classmates make $18-19/ hour with pay raise every 9 months at a grocery chain. Even Walgreens start their interns at $ 17/ hour.

Last edited:
I don't think what CVS has you sign is considered a contract. And they have plenty of lawyers on their payroll to make sure it is not illegal. It is definitely unprofessional but you are getting a glimpse of how CVS operates.

I would not worry about it much because CVS pushes you to get licensed very quickly. These days you might only be a grad intern for 2-3 months unless you fail your exam. I would raise a bigger stink if your starting salary is lower than promised or you are not getting base/hours you were 'promised.' Since your grad intern rate is 1/2 of your starting salary, you can figure that out now.

Does the offer specify a geographic region?

Yes, it specifies the region I will be working in after graduation. It does not specify a region for my P4 year. They put my address on the offer letter (out of state).

If you get close to $22/hr as a P4 more power to you. I only got $15 3 years ago.

I was getting paid more than $15 as a technician before I even started pharmacy school.

I would send an email to the intern coordinator, and only communicate via email. Some people at CVS will make any verbal promises to appease you because there is no paper trail. Get your regional human resources person's email address from them if they can't fix it. Just go up the chain and always in writing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You didn't sign a contract you accepted an offer that they can back out of at will. Typical of CVS but the only thing I would worry about is your pay as a pharmacist, who cares if you make a dollar more as a grad intern for a few months anyways.

How you guys make so much is still a mystery to me I'm getting 13 dollars as a P3

You guys can stop quoting me I don't really care how much you made as interns. I was just trying to tell OP that he has it good compared to a lot of people in other parts of the country. The difference in pay for a student working part time or seasonal is negligible in the long run.

Most retail chains are paying p1-p3 anywhere from $11/hr-$15/hr...

That money OP said is very good across the board during pharmacy school.

I got a similar email about wages being different than the offer letter. This thread is making me nervous!

Most retail chains are paying p1-p3 anywhere from $11/hr-$15/hr...

That money OP said is very good across the board during pharmacy school.

I think it depends on state. My classmates are starting at $ 17 as P1.