CVS DURant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Heads up, there's a major DUR computer system update to take place soon.

Filled with mandatory DUR comment entry for completely irrelevant issues (day supply rounding, insurance limits, no allergy info, out-of date meds filled more than a year ago, etc.). There will be even more alert fatigue to sift through but on the plus side, there will be mandatory documentation for relevant drug issues.

Feel free to express any opinions, pent up rage, & frustration.
On the bright side, I don't think this update is nearly as bad as the On-Hold Verification update.

Members don't see this ad.

ridic......I'm having to type a dur resolution comment for every rx the patient gets when a patient got mucinex 2 years and every other pointless dur review....at least I think it saves the dur comment so next month we won't have to retype dur comments on refills

Only so many ways to type out "false alarm"...

Members don't see this ad :)
While not cvs my fav our
Triptans contraindicated in vascular disease which migraines are a type of

Ace-I/hctz combo pill interacting with itself

Reactions: 3 users
How much work can they add while simultaneously reducing hours before everything just falls apart?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Sumatriptan succinate 100mg
9 tabs 25 days
Low dose DUR....

Sounds like it's going to take a few more years before the robots take over our jobs...

We like to complain about how CVS has the worst IT department in the United States...but the job security again AI is real. Those bozos won't ever make a piece of software that actually works.

Reactions: 1 user
My favorite was folic acid interacting with alcohol prep pads .....

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure? I don't think so, it just gave you couldn't do a DUR against the alcohol preps....

Well, yes. I was checking a prescription for folic acid and it asked me to screen for an interaction with alcohol preps.

As someone who has worked in IT I can tell you that the best programming was done when they shadowed the end user for a period of time and then reported back to development. Not all the work flow made the cut but it beat getting some bs report and then implementing something you didn't know much about. I don't understand in this time of six sigma and plethora of work flow processes why this is so hard

All the buzz about the warriors in trouble is typical media hype. Once Durant comes back from injury (earlier than predicted, before the season ends) , everyone is going to hop on the Warrior's bandwagon again. GO DUBS!

Well, yes. I was checking a prescription for folic acid and it asked me to screen for an interaction with alcohol preps.

Did it give you the interaction? I think it was just it couldn't screen it since it has no idea what alcohol pads are.

Did it give you the interaction? I think it was just it couldn't screen it since it has no idea what alcohol pads are.
The point is you still have to write a comment about it...

Can CVS send custom electronic faxes yet? Or still just refill requests?
Also I noticed at some places if you clarify a script or something gets changed you can just type a note over the hard-copy image; at CVS you have to pull the script, re-scan, and refile. Glad I left there; they can't even make the most basic quality of life updates. The ironic part about all of this is that their new business plan is to "leverage technology to save on labor costs".

You just write the minimum @=# of characters and move on....
Found my minimum number of characters- "reviewed"
Just another waste of time. CVS really doesn't get that we barely have time to do anything now. I'm averaging 30 seconds to verify a new script and probably 15 on a refill but yet stuff is still going red

Reactions: 1 users
Can CVS send custom electronic faxes yet? Or still just refill requests?
Also I noticed at some places if you clarify a script or something gets changed you can just type a note over the hard-copy image; at CVS you have to pull the script, re-scan, and refile. Glad I left there; they can't even make the most basic quality of life updates. The ironic part about all of this is that their new business plan is to "leverage technology to save on labor costs".
Yes this drives me crazy that I can't annotate anything on the e-script that comes in. I get two directions on e-scripts all the time and instead of taking 10 minutes to delete that one, print hard copy, writing it correctly, retyping it in ... I write the correct SIG then put "(confirmed with MD new dose)" and hope that's good enough. I hate having to do that but when you're crunched for every minute in there....

Also, no you can't send custom faxes. Extremely irritating. I have to manually fax something if it's not a refill request. No clue why they don't think of improving these things. Pointless updates and more metrics instead seem to be More important

Found my minimum number of characters- "reviewed"
Just another waste of time. CVS really doesn't get that we barely have time to do anything now. I'm averaging 30 seconds to verify a new script and probably 15 on a refill but yet stuff is still going red

I'd try to leverage QT in the morning. When I worked at CVS all of the good pharmacists were jumping in and out of triage every 10-15 minutes and typing a few escripts. If QT is behind than everyone else is automatically behind too. So it's not that you are too slow, it's that everyone else gets a bit behind and the scripts are coming to you too late to begin with. Don't take this the wrong way because I agree that CVS doesn't give you enough help but that's my best suggestion.

It's crazy at a 400 script/day CVS you get one pharmacist who must do all of the verifying and leverage QT on top of that just to stay caught up. At a Walmart filling 400/day you have 2 pharmacists and on top of that neither of them even has to worry about typing either because they have more techs too.

Last edited:
I'd try to leverage QT in the morning. When I worked at CVS all of the good pharmacists were jumping in and out of triage every 10-15 minutes and typing a few escripts. If QT is behind than everyone else is automatically behind too. So it's not that you are too slow, it's that everyone else gets a bit behind and the scripts are coming to you too late to begin with. Don't take this the wrong way because I agree that CVS doesn't give you enough help but that's my best suggestion.

It's crazy at a 400 script/day CVS you get one pharmacist who must do all of the verifying and leverage QT on top of that just to stay caught up. At a Walmart filling 400/day you have 2 pharmacists and on top of that neither of them even has to worry about typing either because they have more techs too.
Yes I usually knock out QT in the morning then as soon as there are scripts in the 0-15 minutes window in QT I'll jump in and type those. It's a hard balance trying to figure out how much to jump in without letting yourself get behind in QV

Oh god...the training on this is so stupid. In one of the examples, they have the pharmacist stopping to warn a patient about taking minocycline with birth control. It's been beyond proven that rifampin is the only real concern in that whole "antibiotics affect birth control" arena. They had that **** figured out damn near 20 years ago, to boot. But according to the training...it's a soft stop...which NEEDS to be reviewed and discussed with the patient!

If I stopped everything for every stupid soft stop I wouldn't have the time to get my job done.

Oh god...the training on this is so stupid. In one of the examples, they have the pharmacist stopping to warn a patient about taking minocycline with birth control. It's been beyond proven that rifampin is the only real concern in that whole "antibiotics affect birth control" arena. They had that **** figured out damn near 20 years ago, to boot. But according to the training...it's a soft stop...which NEEDS to be reviewed and discussed with the patient!

If I stopped everything for every stupid soft stop I wouldn't have the time to get my job done.
If do everything in this training, i would not have time time to finish my job. That ishow it is supposed to be . But cvs emphasizes too much on speed and metrics.

If you did everything in their training you would actually get fired.

It just makes it easier to minimize liability and put the blame on you if something goes wrong. They don't expect you to actually do those things. When you get terminated and sued for a serious error they will be more than happy you recorded a bunch of random characters in the system instead of doing that mandatory counseling. Makes it look more like your negligence, protects them.

Reactions: 5 users
It just makes it easier to minimize liability and put the blame on you if something goes wrong. They don't expect you to actually do those things. When you get terminated and sued for a serious error they will be more than happy you recorded a bunch of random characters in the system instead of doing that mandatory counseling. Makes it look more like your negligence, protects them.

Except that the pharmacist's negligence doesn't protect them. Recall the HIPAA violation at Walgreens where the RPh admitted that he knowingly violated the law and company policy but Walgreens still had to pay a huge fine. Just because CVS could prove that the pharmacist didn't follow policy doesn't mean they can protect themselves from lawsuits.

Exactly what I thought. Protecting themselves

OMG, spironolactone + K chloride is killing me...you think a prescriber would have enough sense to have baseline K+ and monitor regularly. Automatic hard stop must talk to patient or consult prescriber on these.

On the plus side though, this upgrade did help prevent a future insurance issue for a guy titrating up a med after switching from a drug in the same class (was a poor choice in him wanting the new drug as ready fill...).

At WAG we can create a DUR exception (hard stop) or flag an rx for consultation (soft stop) that blocks you at register but you can still fill rx.

Quick tip, if you clarify a script with the doctor you can add a fill note to the script from data entry without having to pull/rescan.

At WAG we can create a DUR exception (hard stop) or flag an rx for consultation (soft stop) that blocks you at register but you can still fill rx.

where do u think cvs technology comes from? for example. a few years ago cvs cash register does not show all the scripts a customer has ready for pickup. the techs always had to ask the customer how many scripts they are picking up today? then they notice walgreens cash register shows a list of all scripts that's ready for the customer to pick up, and voila, cvs copied the technology. this and many others are direct copied from walgreens.

Quick tip, if you clarify a script with the doctor you can add a fill note to the script from data entry without having to pull/rescan.
How do you do this?

Amoxil allergy triggering alert for third gen ceph.

LOL.

At my LTC we make the nurse write a clarification order for all PCN "cross-sensitivity" warning for cephs. It drives me nuts but I can't convince the powers that be that we are wasting everyone's time doing so. Well, I sort of got my boss to agree that it was stupid but he says we still need to follow the process and get the "clarification". The good news is, if someone ever happens to be allergic to both medications at least we will have the all-important clarification. *eyeroll*

I like how we can send a custom message to the register. I don't know if this is new or from the update.

First thing in the morning...... Mrs Jones Gaps in Care. Pt is diabetic. Call the MD to get Rx for statin

Last thing at Night........ MD Called in Statin. DUR Call Dr. Jones, use statins with caution in diabetes......

Reactions: 7 users
First thing in the morning...... Mrs Jones Gaps in Care. Pt is diabetic. Call the MD to get Rx for statin

Last thing at Night........ MD Called in Statin. DUR Call Dr. Jones, use statins with caution in diabetes......
Haha this is perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

My sup came in the other day and helped me verified for an hour to catch up to talk to me. He just put "222222222" in the DUR comment. Beast mode!