CVS feeling the tricare loss?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's being done more in retail at independents to save money. Why would i hire more pharmacists when I can just have techs verify each other and save a ton of money. Just one more way pharmacy is going down the drain. I should have prob two pharmacists on payroll with how busy our store is ( ~400 scripts a day) but instead it's just me and 4 techs per a shift.

Does your state not have RPh:Tech ratio laws?

Members don't see this ad.

in stead of 4 pharmacists and 5 techs you have 2 pharmacists and 8 techs and teach the techs to peer check each other.

Give this guy the CEO position, he's figured everything out.

I haven't checked the laws in a while... but I was taught that peer check was only allowed in hospitals with protocols for it... in retail an rx has to be verified by a pharmacist or grad intern pharmacist in CA .. If this is still the case, I think the first step would require a change in laws... I do believe this was already done in another state, Virginia I believe

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your state not have RPh:Tech ratio laws?

My state has no tech to pharmacist ratio law. Kinda like having 5 techs on some days (but would prefer 2 pharmacists and 3-4 techs). I just want a tech who will answer the phones and do insurance all day, would make my life so much easier and it's work techs can do.

Wags is getting slammed with transfers in. CVS has apparently setup a system to fax transfers, or maybe just in FL. However, the number of refills for scripts on hold doesn't seem to show up correctly. For example you get this:

Quantity Prescribed: 30
Refills Prescribed: 0
Quantity Remaining: 60
Refills Remaining: 1

Pretty sure you can just go by the quantity remaining, refills remaining is referring to the number of refills that will be left after you dispense it, not the total number of fills. Probably because it was a new script that was never dispensed and the first fill isn't counted as a refill in their computer system.

Why refills prescribed says 0 is beyond me but obviously wrong in either case lol.

Last edited:
Cutting hours makes sense. Same number of patients will come in but it will cost less labor hours. Pharmacist are over paid anyway. My independent will take even more of CVS's lunch as I work 12 hours a day every day 7 days a week. This will make my store more competitive against CVS. Bad for new grads. Already it's a nearly unlimited amount of new grads fighting for limited hours of premium pharmacist pay.

And it's gonna get much much worse. Hopefully pharmacist pay reaches around 50,000 USD a year by 2020 to get more reasonable. I have 6 techs that do peer checks at my store which saves me a lot of money from hiring a new pharmacist(s)

I knew they should cut hours.

Who is the guy in the corner office who keeps being late to these decisions?
I'll take that office :cool:

Excuse the necro. And the poor pharmacists.

Btw, Humble's admission in this thread, if true, would explain why he's able to trivially hookup (and doesn't mind the seedy environs). Few hetero guys can do that. Disappointed. Almost thought we could be wingmen

Last edited: