CVS inside Target vs Walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exousia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few discussions of CVS vs WG but haven't found anything specific comparing CVS/Target with WG. I thought I would spark a discussion as well as seek advice for the current situation I am in.

I've been working for CVS/Target for just over half a year now as a floater and have recently been offered a staff position for one of the stores I go to. This has got me thinking about where I really want to be, especially with the flood of pharmacists that have left in the last few months(most of which went to a PBM for a paycut and contract work possibly leading to salary).

The store I've been offered usually does between 250-350 scripts on weekdays and operates on 2 pharmacists(all stores do now afaik) with little overlap(30 mins-2hrs two to three days of the week). My issue is that 3/4 days I feel very stressed and overworked by the end of the day. I stay past my shift almost everytime to make sure my double-checks are done(which I heard are going electronic soon so maybe will be easier?) so the other pharmacist doesn't have to pick up what seems to be my slack. I've been paying attention to how many scripts we have been doing and it seems anything over 250 on a day with no overlap and minimum amount of phonecalls is my limit. We were mostly in the upper 300's during November and December and it really took a toll on me. Recently I've noticed our numbers have gone down and I've been completely fine, but I don't want to fool myself into thinking things will be fine just because I have a good day or two during the week. I understand I am still on a learning curve here as I haven't even worked for 1 year and got minimal training starting out, but will things get better?

This brings me to Walgreens. I'm wondering if it's worth the switch if things are pretty much going to be the same. The store with CVS/Target I'm offered currently has a great team I get along with that have supported me since I started. I'm worried I may end up in a worse situation than I am now, especially with the added aspect of drive-thru.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice is appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a few discussions of CVS vs WG but haven't found anything specific comparing CVS/Target with WG. I thought I would spark a discussion as well as seek advice for the current situation I am in.

I've been working for CVS/Target for just over half a year now as a floater and have recently been offered a staff position for one of the stores I go to. This has got me thinking about where I really want to be, especially with the flood of pharmacists that have left in the last few months(most of which went to a PBM for a paycut and contract work possibly leading to salary).

The store I've been offered usually does between 250-350 scripts on weekdays and operates on 2 pharmacists(all stores do now afaik) with little overlap(30 mins-2hrs two to three days of the week). My issue is that 3/4 days I feel very stressed and overworked by the end of the day. I stay past my shift almost everytime to make sure my double-checks are done(which I heard are going electronic soon so maybe will be easier?) so the other pharmacist doesn't have to pick up what seems to be my slack. I've been paying attention to how many scripts we have been doing and it seems anything over 250 on a day with no overlap and minimum amount of phonecalls is my limit. We were mostly in the upper 300's during November and December and it really took a toll on me. Recently I've noticed our numbers have gone down and I've been completely fine, but I don't want to fool myself into thinking things will be fine just because I have a good day or two during the week. I understand I am still on a learning curve here as I haven't even worked for 1 year and got minimal training starting out, but will things get better?

This brings me to Walgreens. I'm wondering if it's worth the switch if things are pretty much going to be the same. The store with CVS/Target I'm offered currently has a great team I get along with that have supported me since I started. I'm worried I may end up in a worse situation than I am now, especially with the added aspect of drive-thru.

IF double-checks are going to incorporated into the system as a queue, then stay. That will make a huge difference in your day. One of the states that I am licensed in requires double checks. Only Walmart has them set up in the system as an additional queue. It's fantastic. There's no paper. There is no folding. Everything you have to check is right there on the screen. There's no need to reprint the sticker if there was a change in product and someone forgot to replace the sticker with the updated one. None of that. You will catch errors as you work. It's way more organized.

How soon is that happening>?

Members don't see this ad :)

I know it is tempting to want to be at one place and accept that position. However, consider that when you float, there are no strings attached. You do not get involved in any politics or drama that's going on at that pharmacy. Techs won't involve you in it, either. Downside is, of course, sometimes techs think that they're above the law and above your authority and somehow believe they do not have to follow your direction because you are a float and not a staff pharmacist. They often forget the only reason they're able to be inside the pharmacy is BECAUSE OF YOUR PHARMACIST LICENSE. I like reminding them of that fact.

If you like the CVS system, there is a good chance that you will hate the Walgreens system. The queue just prints on its own and the system prioritizes in ways I did not always understand. It makes you work on items that aren't due now. I think it might be because often times people leave their stations and do not log off. The system prioritizes the items in the queue taking into consideration that user that is idle. The system thinks that user is just staring at the screen and it starts cluttering the queue with nonnsense. The moment you have 3 people who leave their stations unattended, that really messes everything up.

You do not want to deal with drive-thru. Two lanes??? In my state, people will queue up in one lane until sure enough, there is someone who is too cool for school and will drive up to lane two and skip the line of 5 cars. Then the tech or pharmacist is put in the awkward position of telling that person to not be a douche-b@g and go to the end of the line.

Are they giving 40 hours?

Reactions: 1 user
I've been told by March/April

I'd say hang in there. It makes a hell of a difference. When you are able to do double checks as soon as the law permits, it gives you peace of mind. I've caught errors that are still sitting in the waiting bin. You grab it, fix it, done.

I know it is tempting to want to be at one place and accept that position. However, consider that when you float, there are no strings attached. You do not get involved in any politics or drama that's going on at that pharmacy. Techs won't involve you in it, either. Downside is, of course, sometimes techs think that they're above the law and above your authority and somehow believe they do not have to follow your direction because you are a float and not a staff pharmacist. They often forget the only reason they're able to be inside the pharmacy is BECAUSE OF YOUR PHARMACIST LICENSE. I like reminding them of that fact.

If you like the CVS system, there is a good chance that you will hate the Walgreens system. The queue just prints on its own and the system prioritizes in ways I did not always understand. It makes you work on items that aren't due now. I think it might be because often times people leave their stations and do not log off. The system prioritizes the items in the queue taking into consideration that user that is idle. The system thinks that user is just staring at the screen and it starts cluttering the queue with nonnsense. The moment you have 3 people who leave their stations unattended, that really messes everything up.

You do not want to deal with drive-thru. Two lanes??? In my state, people will queue up in one lane until sure enough, there is someone who is too cool for school and will drive up to lane two and skip the line of 5 cars. Then the tech or pharmacist is put in the awkward position of telling that person to not be a douche-b@g and go to the end of the line.

Are they giving 40 hours?

I've been at this store pretty steady for a few months now as my supervisor wanted to see how I would do as well as because one of the pharmacists had left. I've always gotten along with the techs and they respect me. The feedback from them is that they would love it if I would take the position.

As a floater I was hired on with a minimum of 36hrs. It's been upwards to 42ish depending on if they pull me to go somewhere else or If I pick up another shift. I personally like the extra day off every now and then from it. If I were to take the staff, my base hours would go up. I'm assuming to 40hrs.

I've been at this store pretty steady for a few months now as my supervisor wanted to see how I would do as well as because one of the pharmacists had left. I've always gotten along with the techs and they respect me. The feedback from them is that they would love it if I would take the position.

As a floater I was hired on with a minimum of 36hrs. It's been upwards to 42ish depending on if they pull me to go somewhere else or If I pick up another shift. I personally like the extra day off every now and then from it. If I were to take the staff, my base hours would go up. I'm assuming to 40hrs.

Ok, so if your base is 36 hours, how long are your shifts? When you take a staff position, you're then responsible for metrics and everything else that comes with the store. As you know, expectations for floaters are much lower if any at all. Make sure you discuss getting longer shifts and getting all your hours in fewer shifts.

Ok, so if your base is 36 hours, how long are your shifts? When you take a staff position, you're then responsible for metrics and everything else that comes with the store. As you know, expectations for floaters are much lower if any at all. Make sure you discuss getting longer shifts and getting all your hours in fewer shifts.
Usually 6 or 7 hr shifts if overlap. Otherwise weekends are 9 hrs and 1 day/wk is a 12hr.

Usually 6 or 7 hr shifts if overlap. Otherwise weekends are 9 hrs and 1 day/wk is a 12hr.

I am all for longer shifts. Try doing double checks as you go. It's possible. Either grab them yourself. Or tell the tech at drop off to bring them to you periodically. There is no need to wait until the end of your shift.

Mind if I ask what these double-checks are?

I don't mind at all. Some states require that you do a second quality assurance check of prescription input, product dispensed, prescriber, directions, strength. This quality assurance check must occur between two to 72 hours after the prescription has been initially certified, unless a different pharmacist does the check. Due to conformational bias, a second check done within two hours, by the same pharmacist, may result in an error going undetected. So in plain English, when a prescription is verified, the system prints the image of the prescription verified by pharmacist along with an image of the label. By comparing those two you are able to detect input errors, input verification errors, fill errors, product verification errors. Both should have the same information in them.
It's actually a nice tool to catch errors. The issue is that all that paper has to be filed in california files, bound and numbered and kept in order and stored and all of that takes time; a LOT OF TIME. So it's nice when the double check is incorporated into the system as an additional queue that you have to keep up with. There is no printing, no putting them in order, no folding, no filing.

Reactions: 3 users
Our system requires all new orders be checked twice before being sent out. Ideally it’s done by two different pharmacist but that’s not always the case. It does catch a lot of errors although things manage to get out sometimes. Just today we had a wrong patient there error reported that had been double checked by two different pharmacists.

Our system requires all new orders be checked twice before being sent out. Ideally it’s done by two different pharmacist but that’s not always the case. It does catch a lot of errors although things manage to get out sometimes. Just today we had a wrong patient there error reported that had been double checked by two different pharmacists.

For sure. I am all for double checks. But then you hop across the bridge to my neighboring state with mandatory counseling on everything. They don't do double checks. To them the mandatory counseling is supposed catch any mistakes. Well, not really, if you are getting interrupted every 15 seconds while verifying input and product visual verification. So yes, you end up running into a lot of mistakes when counseling, but is it really because that is a better system OR because the pharmacist getting interrupted so often that mistakes are getting past the pharmacist at two key initial check points?
Try telling that board of pharmacy that and they will hang up on you. I won't be renewing that useless license.

Members don't see this ad :)

There are several things that you can do in order to keep your queue free of clutter and maximizing the efficiency of your workflow:

1. PCQ calls and Prescriber calls are time sucks. To keep PCQ calls under control, every patient needs to be on text message notifications, they need to have the app. It's not "would you like to get text notifications?" That sounds like spam and like you're trying to sell them something or like a virus might get into their phone.
Just say "Let's go ahead and set you up to get a text every time your prescriptions are ready. It's great. It also reminds you when you're due for a refill" DONE. "Let me show you how to download the app. It'll cut your time at the pickup window in half. You'll love it. You know better than they do and that's what we're doing.

Prescriber calls - teach your techs to not just send refill requests on everything. they should be thinking through this checklist:
- Double check if it's an ER doctor,
- is it for an ABX,
- is it for a prednisone taper?
- a short course of flexeril for neck pain?
- was the prescription even written with additional refills to begin with?
- is it for a starting dose of a stating or whatever? Of course, it won't have refills. The doctor for sure told them they would need to be seen in 3 months, but no, in one ear, straight through that empty Medicaid brain and out the other ear.
- does the prescription state "NO MORE REFILLS UNTIL SEEN IN CLINIC. NEEDS APPOINTMENT".
In all cases but the latter, do not send the fax. They have to see their provider. If it clearly states that the patient needs an appointment, sure, send the fax, but delete that thing off your queue or send it manually. You know you won't get a response anyway. So why let it clutter your queue? Tell the patient you're sending it as a courtesy but not expecting a response and will not follow up on it. They need to see their provider. Tell your techs to add that to the label. If adding that to the label is an issue with CVS or state law then, print an auxiliary label with "NO MORE REFILLS UNTIL SEEN IN CLINIC. NEEDS APPOINTMENT" and stick it on their bottle.

If you do these consistently, your life will be a lot easier.

Prior authorizations - take 15 minutes to educate your techs on the basics of prior authorization and to reason through rejections. Just because it says "requires PA" does not mean that is the best course of action.
They need to understand:
- Step therapy: if the rejection states tier 3, that means the patient has to try and fail a preferred tier 1, then tier 2 and then and only then will the insurance cover. Sometimes the prescriber is just writing for whatever brand name the drug rep just told them about over the free lunch they brought to the clinic. So there's no need to tie up resources and delay therapy by starting a PA process that will to the PA being denied and the prescriber realizing the patient needs to start with a preferred generic.
Medications like Qsymia (phentermine/topiramate) - that PA is never going to be approved. I worked for a PBM a while back and the criteria is impossible. Unless the patient has a free trial card, teach your techs to fax the prescriber back "prescribe phentermine & topiramate separately"

Another favorite is Epiduo Forte - I just want to smack sense into them every time I see this one cluttering the queue. Fax back for separate prescriptions foi adapalene and benzoyl peroxide.

You get the idea.

When patients pick up their meds, don't ask them if they're ok with getting reminder calls, push text messages or get them to decline getting the phone calls. You're in control of it all. Techs have to follow suit. They're inside the pharmacy because of YOUR license. Don't let them forget that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
There are several things that you can do in order to keep your queue free of clutter and maximizing the efficiency of your workflow:

1. PCQ calls and Prescriber calls are time sucks. To keep PCQ calls under control, every patient needs to be on text message notifications, they need to have the app. It's not "would you like to get text notifications?" That sounds like spam and like you're trying to sell them something or like a virus might get into their phone.
Just say "Let's go ahead and set you up to get a text every time your prescriptions are ready. It's great. It also reminds you when you're due for a refill" DONE. "Let me show you how to download the app. It'll cut your time at the pickup window in half. You'll love it. You know better than they do and that's what we're doing.

This is so true. I used to tell my techs, "Do you know anyone who doesn't have a cell phone? Stop asking people if it is a home phone or a cell phone and just assume it is a cell phone. Do you know anyone who prefers phone calls or texts? No? Then stop asking if they want texts and just help them set it up." As an added bonus it saves the pharmacy what, 500 hours a week in phone calls?

The pickup app was just rolling out when I left but I made each of my techs use it for me on my scripts to show them how much time it saved and to convince them it was worth trying to get people on it. Sometimes people really do need to be treated like they are idiots and lead by the nose.

Reactions: 2 users

You'd think I'd be done after that long post.
Everyone gets switched to 90 days supply. Agnes does not need to stop by the pharmacy every other week, twice each week. Nonsense. Everytime you see a new script for 30 day supply and 11 refills, either change it to a 90 day supply if your state law allows you, too (and your company, of course) OR have your tech fax the prescriber right back asking for the ok on 90 day supply. Add a huge note that states:
TO ALL PRESCRIBERS AT YOUR FACILITY. WE GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR CHOOSING OUR PHARMACY. IN ORDER TO BETTER SERVE THE NEEDS OF YOUR/OUR PATIENTS, WE KINDLY ASK THAT WHENEVER CLINICALLY APPROPRIATE, PLEASE PRESCRIBE FOR 90 DAYS SUPPLY INSTEAD OF 30 DAYS SUPPLY. THANK YOU.

Fax that note to every clinic every day if you have to. Once you get everyone on text notifications, app express pay, and 90 day supply, and you keep your queue clutter free because your techs are actually reasoning through QT and not just pushing "send refill request" every time a patient doesn't feel like seeing their prescriber, your life at CVS will be a lot easier.

It will take some work and you might face some resistance, but they should jump on board once they realize their lives will be easier.

When someone gets a new script 45 days after filling their usual meds, try to get that person on scriptsync, and don't use that Spiel CVS tells you to sell it, just do the 45 day supply, explain the first copay will be X and then, the following prescriptions will be 90 day supply and the copay may change. Otherwise, try to sync it manually.

Reactions: 3 users
You'd think I'd be done after that long post.
Everyone gets switched to 90 days supply. Agnes does not need to stop by the pharmacy every other week, twice each week. Nonsense. Everytime you see a new script for 30 day supply and 11 refills, either change it to a 90 day supply if your state law allows you, too (and your company, of course) OR have your tech fax the prescriber right back asking for the ok on 90 day supply. Add a huge note that states:
TO ALL PRESCRIBERS AT YOUR FACILITY. WE GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR CHOOSING OUR PHARMACY. IN ORDER TO BETTER SERVE THE NEEDS OF YOUR/OUR PATIENTS, WE KINDLY ASK THAT WHENEVER CLINICALLY APPROPRIATE, PLEASE PRESCRIBE FOR 90 DAYS SUPPLY INSTEAD OF 30 DAYS SUPPLY. THANK YOU.

Fax that note to every clinic every day if you have to. Once you get everyone on text notifications, app express pay, and 90 day supply, and you keep your queue clutter free because your techs are actually reasoning through QT and not just pushing "send refill request" every time a patient doesn't feel like seeing their prescriber, your life at CVS will be a lot easier.

It will take some work and you might face some resistance, but they should jump on board once they realize their lives will be easier.

When someone gets a new script 45 days after filling their usual meds, try to get that person on scriptsync, and don't use that Spiel CVS tells you to sell it, just do the 45 day supply, explain the first copay will be X and then, the following prescriptions will be 90 day supply and the copay may change. Otherwise, try to sync it manually.

I've been looking for ways to improve my workflow and this is just what I needed! No one actually took the time to tell me most of these things, especially with detailed explanations for why it'll be helpful.

Prescriber calls - teach your techs to not just send refill requests on everything. they should be thinking through this checklist:
- Double check if it's an ER doctor,
- is it for an ABX,
- is it for a prednisone taper?
- a short course of flexeril for neck pain?
- was the prescription even written with additional refills to begin with?
- is it for a starting dose of a stating or whatever? Of course, it won't have refills. The doctor for sure told them they would need to be seen in 3 months, but no, in one ear, straight through that empty Medicaid brain and out the other ear.
- does the prescription state "NO MORE REFILLS UNTIL SEEN IN CLINIC. NEEDS APPOINTMENT".
In all cases but the latter, do not send the fax. They have to see their provider. If it clearly states that the patient needs an appointment, sure, send the fax, but delete that thing off your queue or send it manually. You know you won't get a response anyway. So why let it clutter your queue? Tell the patient you're sending it as a courtesy but not expecting a response and will not follow up on it. They need to see their provider. Tell your techs to add that to the label. If adding that to the label is an issue with CVS or state law then, print an auxiliary label with "NO MORE REFILLS UNTIL SEEN IN CLINIC. NEEDS APPOINTMENT" and stick it on their bottle.

If you do these consistently, your life will be a lot easier.

Prior authorizations - take 15 minutes to educate your techs on the basics of prior authorization and to reason through rejections. Just because it says "requires PA" does not mean that is the best course of action.
They need to understand:
- Step therapy: if the rejection states tier 3, that means the patient has to try and fail a preferred tier 1, then tier 2 and then and only then will the insurance cover. Sometimes the prescriber is just writing for whatever brand name the drug rep just told them about over the free lunch they brought to the clinic. So there's no need to tie up resources and delay therapy by starting a PA process that will to the PA being denied and the prescriber realizing the patient needs to start with a preferred generic.
Medications like Qsymia (phentermine/topiramate) - that PA is never going to be approved. I worked for a PBM a while back and the criteria is impossible. Unless the patient has a free trial card, teach your techs to fax the prescriber back "prescribe phentermine & topiramate separately"

Another favorite is Epiduo Forte - I just want to smack sense into them every time I see this one cluttering the queue. Fax back for separate prescriptions foi adapalene and benzoyl peroxide.

You get the idea.

When patients pick up their meds, ask them if they're ok with getting reminder calls, push text messages or get them to decline getting the phone calls. You're in control of it all. Techs have to follow suit. They're inside the pharmacy because of YOUR license. Don't let them forget that.
Why are pharmacists following up on refill requests? This should be a job for the techs. We send a follow up fax after 48 hours. If still no response (usually 48 more hours), techs place a follow up call and notify customer that 3 attempts were made to contact prescriber. If no response in one week, we "deny out" the request. WAG also has most prior auths automated. It'll send an initial fax automatically and keep trying daily for up to 10 days. I'll keep an eye out for any therapeutic alternatives prescribed later (ie, that Dymista that has a new rx for fluticasone and azelastine on profile), annotate image and store on profile

Why are pharmacists following up on refill requests?

Because at CVS, everything is a pharmacist's job. Pouring water into bottles using a machine that pours water into bottles is a pharmacist-only activity at CVS.

Reactions: 1 users
Because at CVS, everything is a pharmacist's job. Pouring water into bottles using a machine that pours water into bottles is a pharmacist-only activity at CVS.
I hope you're kidding that only pharmacists are allowed to reconstitute suspensions at CVS.

I hope you're kidding that only pharmacists are allowed to reconstitute suspensions at CVS.

Sure, of course, I am quite the kidder after all. I mean, that would be crazy, right?

CVS had a tech reconstitute with something (can't remember what) that wasn't water and the patient (a child) died. The solution was to make say that only pharmacists may reconstitute, even though CVS now uses a fill master system that would make it very difficult indeed to make that error.

Your lucky. If your store was a Walgreens you'd be working a 12h shift (8-8). Once you reach around 400-500 you get 2 pharmacists.

I was actually glad it was that way. I had ONE tech who I would trust to reconstitute if it was just the two of us and I was on the phone or something. I’d watch her from my station which was steps away.

At Walmart, I ask techs to show me how much water they’re using. SOP does not require that BUT the state does not mandate technicians to be certified.

Sure, of course, I am quite the kidder after all. I mean, that would be crazy, right?

CVS had a tech reconstitute with something (can't remember what) that wasn't water and the patient (a child) died. The solution was to make say that only pharmacists may reconstitute, even though CVS now uses a fill master system that would make it very difficult indeed to make that error.
I once had a fill Master go HAL 9000.

It sprayed about 2L onto the floor before we stopped it.

That was a bad day

Reactions: 1 users
I once had a fill Master go HAL 9000.

It sprayed about 2L onto the floor before we stopped it.

That was a bad day
OH,

by the way.

I challenge everyone to go and unplug the water source tube that feeds the fillmaster.

I guarantee you it's full of horrible green **** if your store is over 5 years old.

Keep that in mind next time you dispense something to an immunocompromised could