CVS--Is there anything GOOD about them?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiopharmacist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been offered a position as a overnight pharmacist in CVS. I did research on the forum and everyone seems to just DESPISE them. I have worked retail as an intern for 5 years and know it ain't easy. I am just happy that I can move from a PDX comp. system to a better one lol

But is there anything GOOD about CVS since I educated myself with their downsides,thanks to the forum?!

Just name ONE,if you can,Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just one? Easy...They sell candy bars, so you wont ever go hungry.

Kidding aside, they do pay well, and you can still actually get a job with them, considering places like target are not hiring..in pa/nj/md/de/east coast area any way.

8 pack of rice krispy treats were only $1.67 today

Members don't see this ad :)
dpogiudhfj.gif

honestly...i think its based on your attitudes

i take a positive approach with the company...
i'm cheerful and joke around a lot so it makes
the work environment fun

so i actually like working for the company
it will be 10 years in september for me

Okay, personally I liked CVS better 3 years ago before any of these initiatives came out. Back then, the front store and pharmacy were treated as separate entities.

Also, I definitely liked working with a pharmacist who was NOT on board with CVS's plans. The last pharmacist I worked with didn't care at all about PCI calls, Extracare cards, generic substitutions, readyfill, flavorrx, etc. That guy was ****ing awesome to work with.

Now I'm working with a pharmacist who believes throughly in CVS's philosophy and plans, and I am miserable with this pharmacist.

:nono:
Also, I definitely liked working with a pharmacist who was NOT on board with CVS's plans. The last pharmacist I worked with didn't care at all about PCI calls, Extracare cards, generic substitutions, readyfill, flavorrx, etc. That guy was ****ing awesome to work with.

Now I'm working with a pharmacist who believes throughly in CVS's philosophy and plans, and I am miserable with this pharmacist.

Spot on!! :thumbup::thumbup:

The customers and insurance are enough to deal with besides all teh corporate :bullcrap:

I still do what the hell I want as long as I get the drugs out correctly.....I dont care.

MY soul is not for sale...

J Dub: Those are inspiring words. I think we've all worked for the man at one time or another. I am totally serious. Let's all think CCR here...hopefully someone gets that.

Proud Mary, please.

Okay, personally I liked CVS better 3 years ago before any of these initiatives came out. Back then, the front store and pharmacy were treated as separate entities.

is there a reason as to why the 'last pharmacist' is past tense?

is there a reason as to why the 'last pharmacist' is past tense?

He's at a different CVS location now. We pretty much went from being one of the worst stores in terms of metrics like PCI, FlavorRx, Readyfill, Extracare, to the #1 store in all of those metrics with the new pharmacist.

This is really what it's all about. Any company will be good to work for if the environment is right. I don't claim to know much about working in a community pharmacy (4 hour shadow at CVS), but talking with the pharmacist and the techs there, they all loved it. The management that you will be working for and the other people you'll be working with will ultimately determine whether or not you will enjoy it. All the big chain stores probably have the same issues.

He's at a different CVS location now. We pretty much went from being one of the worst stores in terms of metrics like PCI, FlavorRx, Readyfill, Extracare, to the #1 store in all of those metrics with the new pharmacist.

And you are miserable because he does things the way it is suppose to be? It is better you learn now than later that a well runned store means less stress for everybody.

When I pick up extra shifts, nothing annoys me than a pharmacy that is not runned the CVS way. I have no idea where things are. One guy just dumps everything such as "on holds" in one big box. Techs run around without any directions and fight with each other on who does register because they do not know how to follow the red board.

I was at one store last week where a guy prints out the entire queue (4-5 pages worth including readyfills), fixes a guys drive thru problem that took 10 minutes without asking him to pull around, and when "given advice" tells me well thats how "frank does it". Another thing that annoys me is automatic enrollments in readyfill instead of asking (and thus return to stock takes an hour).

Concerning PCI, it sucks. However if you go into any tasks complaining, you are not going to survive. You are already defeated before you begin. As an intern, use that opportunity to talk to your patients (30 seconds) instead of asking them about old refills. The company only tracks if you make the call or not, not what you talk about. Be creative with what you have. Personally as a pharmacist, PCI shouldnt even concern you (with the exception of new fills).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I usually print 2-3 pages of the queue at a time, then I pull and scan all of the printed material, then someone else counts all of the stuff, then the pharmacist checks it all. Works faster that way.

I heard some bull**** from some pharmacist that if the pharmacy supervisor or regional guy comes in, we can get in trouble if you print more than 3 families at a time and that I'm only supposed to "scan" the scan ready prescription right when I'm about to count it. Why would you only print 3 families at a time, and why wouldn't you scan it right when you pull it?

I usually print 2-3 pages of the queue at a time, then I pull and scan all of the printed material, then someone else counts all of the stuff, then the pharmacist checks it all. Works faster that way.

I heard some bull**** from some pharmacist that if the pharmacy supervisor or regional guy comes in, we can get in trouble if you print more than 3 families at a time and that I'm only supposed to "scan" the scan ready prescription right when I'm about to count it. Why would you only print 3 families at a time, and why wouldn't you scan it right when you pull it?

you and OldTimer are both right. it is MUCH faster to print 2 pages of Q at a time, rather than 3 families..but it is also dangerous.
I do it like you do, Sparda..I print about 10 labels, then scan them all, then count..and our pharmacy doesn't use baskets, so we have to be really careful..our pharmacist looks at all the pills to double check..and yes there have been times when labels got mixed up..not safe at all..
BUT we tried doing 3 families max at one time..and we never got the Q cleared..it got up to 12 pages..and the DM was on our case about why the Q wasn't clear for 3 nights in a row (we have to fax sheet at end of day with all the metrics, if the Q is clear, etc..) the bottom line is if we didn't have PCI, CSI, etc, we would still have to much work to do. So when you throw all that in the mix, we have way too much..

because you can kill someone......

Never heard of anyone making an error because of this, and never made an error myself with this. This is how it goes. I just don't see how anyone could mix up the labels.

Massive Printout --> Arrange in time order --> grab label --> pull drug --> toss both into a basket --> next label

Never heard of anyone making an error because of this, and never made an error myself with this. This is how it goes. I just don't see how anyone could mix up the labels.

Massive Printout --> Arrange in time order --> grab label --> pull drug --> toss both into a basket --> next label

You must scan right before you count or you run the risk of mixing up the labels. There have been numerous errors due to this failure to follow the proper procedure. You can't save time at the expense of lives. As for how many labels you print, I really don't care, just remember Kauffman's rule of pharmacy, a net counter is a safe counter.....

You must scan right before you count or you run the risk of mixing up the labels. There have been numerous errors due to this failure to follow the proper procedure. You can't save time at the expense of lives. As for how many labels you print, I really don't care, just remember Kauffman's rule of pharmacy, a net counter is a safe counter.....

Several friends posting on FB that CVS computer system is down. Is that a regional or national thing?

Several friends posting on FB that CVS computer system is down. Is that a regional or national thing?

There was some weird **** going on yesterday around the time I was leaving(2PM-3PM). Even the credit card and gift card transactions were not going through. I wonder if it's still happening today.

thank you guys for your help.

It seems like all the PCI and other stuff you guys talked about is more relevant with day pharmacists,I was wondering if anyone could help me find what they expect out of night pharmacists?? Cleaning,moppin the floors,re-stocking,inventory?? I think they are going to make me float for a while too.

I had a meeting,found out what they expect,it ain't bad. Mostly taking care of Rx autofills and other Rx initiatives programs they are working on.

I had a meeting,found out what they expect,it ain't bad. Mostly taking care of Rx autofills and other Rx initiatives programs they are working on.

Yah it doesn't sound bad. I had heard similar when I was offered a 7 on 7 off position as a night pharmacist for CVS. Unfortunately I may be turning it down for a position with Kroger because of location. The CVS offer I had was in a rural area.

7 on 7 off would be pretty sweet though. Working half the year..you wouldn't feel like you're working every day..because you get a week off. You get the possibility of having 3 weeks of vacation if you place a week of vacation between your weeks off. CVS was also paying a good amount more than the Kroger offer I had and that's not even including differential for working night shift. *Sigh*

However, I'll say that if the CVS offer wasn't for a night position I wouldn't have considered it.