Cvs lost vacation hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxgirl87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I checked my hr and noticed my vacation hours decreased and I hadn't used any recently. Found out after calling HR that they decided to cut 8 hours of my vacation time since my store hours changed from 8a to 9am and they cut my base hours. It makes sense since I'm working less hours but a little frustrating but that's cvs for you to not inform you of anything.

Members don't see this ad.

It is probably written somewhere in your employee handbook. If you aren't working as many hours, it makes sense that you would accumulate less vacation.

It was clearly articulated to me when I was there that my vacation hours were tied to my base. I am sorry that wasn't explained to you clearly when you were highered but I can't say that I am surprised.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm a little confused. I thought CVS vacation pay was just by if you're full time and how long you've been with the company?

So I'm a little confused. I thought CVS vacation pay was just by if you're full time and how long you've been with the company?
The number of weeks is. But how many hours = 1 week depends on your base (but maybe not in California)

i lost 24 hrs PTO (paid time off) b/c the state where im relocating to does not offer PTO. im soso pst.

The number of weeks is. But how many hours = 1 week depends on your base (but maybe not in California)
I'll try to give hr a call and check CA. I'm close to 2 years with the company now and I get 80 hours of Vacation. My base is 40/week but I work more than that but from what I understand that doesn't matter?

They took back vacation time (earned PTO) that you had already accumulated, or do you mean you're accumulating PTO more slowly?? If the former, I would get after HR for a more detailed explanation. I was always under the impression that PTO is time/compensation that you've earned. Why would they garnish past compensation when your hours going forward are what changed?

He is lamenting over future lost PTO benefit once he moves from MD to TX.

One fun fact about CVS is that they will only adjust your benefits (like vacation) relative to your base like 2 times a year I was told. One time my base fluctuated several times, and they wouldn't give me more vacation time.

Yeah I just noticed the same. My base changed down 3 hours in March and as of July 1st I lost 9 hours of vacation time (3 hours x 3 weeks)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'll try to give hr a call and check CA. I'm close to 2 years with the company now and I get 80 hours of Vacation. My base is 40/week but I work more than that but from what I understand that doesn't matter?

Correct. Even if you average 60 hours/week, your vacation time will only be 80 hours (base 40 x 2). Retail sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct. Even if you average 60 hours/week, your vacation time will only be 80 hours (base 40 x 2). Retail sucks.
Thanks for the info! I just want to get to the sweet spot of 3 weeks and use 2 weeks of vacation and the third use it here or there like sick pay.

Thanks for the info! I just want to get to the sweet spot of 3 weeks and use 2 weeks of vacation and the third use it here or there like sick pay.

i was thinking the same. but when i asked for mini vacations here n there, i got rejected. u have to request full weeks vacation year prior, otherwise it'll be very difficult to ask for 1 or 2 days throughout the year. or maybe my district sup is just a jerk and yours has more brain.

i was thinking the same. but when i asked for mini vacations here n there, i got rejected. u have to request full weeks vacation year prior, otherwise it'll be very difficult to ask for 1 or 2 days throughout the year. or maybe my district sup is just a jerk and yours has more brain.

We are the opposite I get rejected for week long vacations and we are not allowed more than a week at a time.