CVS making cashiers/techs pay (literally!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just worked today and can confirm this is 100% true. It is really humiliating. Also if anyone wants the dollar you have to give it to them. I lost 12 dollars today alone!

What did your techs say about that? I can't imagine they like having to giveaway an hours pay every shift.

Well...I guess if I need a dollar for my sandwich from the dollar menu, I will just go to CVS to get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did your techs say about that? I can't imagine they like having to giveaway an hours pay every shift.

Oh they hate it. Not as much as the pharmacist. She really hates having to give up her dollars. She works hard for the money!

Is it a union store?

Last edited:
It is required for all employees to address a customer by name when are picking up their prescriptions. If they does not want to do that, they have the option of working some where else.

The action plan however is stupid. I do not need a scheme that takes dollars from my employees to drive that metric. This is something that was probably intiated on a district level. I would file a complaint to HR.

Last edited:
I just worked today and can confirm this is 100% true. It is really humiliating. Also if anyone wants the dollar you have to give it to them. I lost 12 dollars today alone!

Wait... someone can just say that they want the dollar, and you have to give it to them? Even if you don't know their name and can't call them a name? And you have to keep supplying the dollars?

Where do all these dollars come from? Does the store have a way to take it out of your paycheck? If not, the easiest fix for this is to not have any cash or a debit card with you when you come to work.

This is awful and should be illegal. I'd make a call to the Board of Pharmacy ASAP. Or a lawyer.

I have tried and avoided CVS as much as possible. They aren't in my state yet. I'm sometimes trapped when I travel, but the more I hear about them, the more convinced I will do everything in my power that CVS never gets a single cent of my money.

One of my friends in an intern at CVS and she said she has lost her dollar so many times she's stopped counting. It's so much that her last paycheck was deducted to cover the loss. And she still owed $13 after all the paycheck deductions. Security collected it from her last night and wouldn't let her leave the store without paying! :eek:

I really hope this is not true.

I will say this again. Thank god I don't work for CVS

It is required for all employees to address a customer by name when are picking up their prescriptions. If they does not want to do that, they have the option of working some where else.

The action plan however is stupid. I do not need a scheme that takes dollars from my employees to drive that metric. This is something that was probably intiated on a district level. I would file a complaint to HR.
So how do you know the person's name when they show up? Do you just wait for them to say it, and then parrot it? What if they're picking up for their child, mother, spouse, etc? How will you know what their name is?

So how do you know the person's name when they show up? Do you just wait for them to say it, and then parrot it? What if they're picking up for their child, mother, spouse, etc? How will you know what their name is?

I will tell you the same thing I tell my interns. When they are picking up their prescriptions, address them with the last name given. Mr or Mrs. X. If you do not know them, get to know them. If independent pharmacies can do it, why cant we?

If you address them the wrong way, they will correct you. Most people do not care. However you addressed them and followed company policy. More important to me is that my staff build a relationship with the customer, treat them like a person instead of somebody picking up medications, and make the customer happy in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope this is not true.

I will say this again. Thank god I don't work for CVS

It is always greener on the other side. However, CVS focus is customer service. This year, we do not have to focus on any metric but customer service. My easiest year ever. Other years, we always have a new program coming out like PCQ, Readyfill, CSI, pharmacy advisor that drives me nuts. This year, all I have to focus on is acknowledge, smile, greet, offer help, and thank them for coming by. I do that already.

One of my friends in an intern at CVS and she said she has lost her dollar so many times she's stopped counting. It's so much that her last paycheck was deducted to cover the loss. And she still owed $13 after all the paycheck deductions. Security collected it from her last night and wouldn't let her leave the store without paying! :eek:

my troll meter is going off :laugh:

Two Pharmacy Calls

Hi, I got a call saying my medication's ready.... Is my medication ready?

Hi, I got a call that said my med is ready, can I pick it up.
Well, the call was asking if you wanted to have your past due medication filled...Did you want us to fill that?
When will you have it ready?
I can have it ready in an hour.
Can you make it faster than that?
Comes in next day...

Hi, I got a call saying my medication is ready. Which one is it?
It's your BP med.
Is my Norco ready?
No, we're still waiting on refill authorization.
Oh, well I don't need the BP med, can you call me when my Norco is ready?

Well, the call was asking if you wanted to have your past due medication filled...Did you want us to fill that?
Comes in next day...

It's your BP med.
Is my Norco ready?

What do you mean it's not ready, you called and said it was ready!
It was a refill reminder. You have to listen to what the robot says.
Well can you just get it ready I will wait. What do you mean it will take 15 minutes, how long does it take to count pills!?

Someone called and left a message. I didn't listen to the message. What were you calling about?

How much will the prescription that my doctor just gave me cost? No I have never been to your pharmacy before. What is this, 20 questions? I just want to know how much this prescription will be.

No I just looked EVERYWHERE for your prescription and I don't have it. Are you SURE you didn't drop it off at ACROSS THE STREET PHARMACY? <click>

Hi this is owlegrad calling from...<click>

No I just looked EVERYWHERE for your prescription and I don't have it. Are you SURE you didn't drop it off at ACROSS THE STREET PHARMACY? <click>

No, I'm sure I dropped it off here. You lost my prescription, what I'm I supposed to do now...
Oh, wait, here it is in my purse.

Hi, I'd like to refill my prescription.
It was filled at our location across town and doesn't have any refills.
No, there WERE refills on it.
Hi. Across town pharmacy, can you check out the original and see if there were refills on it....No, okay, thanks.
Sorry, no refills on the original.
Oh, here's the prescription.

I will tell you the same thing I tell my interns. When they are picking up their prescriptions, address them with the last name given. Mr or Mrs. X. If you do not know them, get to know them. If independent pharmacies can do it, why cant we?

Because most independent pharmacies deal with FAR fewer customers than a busy CVS. Huge difference between learning 50 regular customers names and 500 regular customers names.

My friend lost 30 dollars yesterday. He also got in trouble for addressing a tranny as Mr instead of Mrs.

Nobe mistake, at my store we avoid that by addressing everyone as Most Exalted Customer.

My friend lost 30 dollars yesterday. He also got in trouble for addressing a tranny as Mr instead of Mrs.

I don't believe all of these stories. Sounds too stupid to be true

I can definitely confirm that this is true. I had a dollar attached to my lab coat, and at drop off, a guy came to refill his medication. I asked for his last name and date of birth, and refilled his amlodipine. Then I said I'd have it out in 15 minutes. I forgot to mention his FIRST name, and he jokingly looked at my lab coat and inquired. The store manager was behind him putting Palmolive soap on the shelf, over heard this, and made me give him the dollar. The customer didn't even really want it, but he took it anyway and just laughed at me.

I'm a 6th year intern about to turn pharmacist. I cannot BELIEVE that this had to happen to me yesterday. It was HUMILIATING.

To make matters worse, I didn't have an extra dollar in my wallet. I was out of cash. The store manager looked at me and asked me to put another dollar up, and I told him I didn't have any. I asked if I could take it from the register and that I'd pay it back. He firmly said "No" and asked me if that was a serious question and if I just asked him If I could "steal" a dollar from the register?

Needless to say, he told me to go to the ATM across the street and withdraw money. I went across the street, in a HURRY, withdrew $20. I then ran back to the store, and realized I had to break the 20. It took me 10 minutes to find the manager (because the RPH was busy counseling a patient, and nobody was in the front. we have self checkout) and have him break my $20 into a $10, a $5, and 5 singles. Then I put a single on my lab coat and went back to work. When I went back to work, there were 4 people waiting at drop off, and I forgot to call that guy at drop off by his name as well because I was freaking exhausted and freaked out.

Needless to say, this program is INSANE.

I can definitely confirm that this is true. I had a dollar attached to my lab coat, and at drop off, a guy came to refill his medication. I asked for his last name and date of birth, and refilled his amlodipine. Then I said I'd have it out in 15 minutes. I forgot to mention his FIRST name, and he jokingly looked at my lab coat and inquired. The store manager was behind him putting Palmolive soap on the shelf, over heard this, and made me give him the dollar. The customer didn't even really want it, but he took it anyway and just laughed at me.

I'm a 6th year intern about to turn pharmacist. I cannot BELIEVE that this had to happen to me yesterday. It was HUMILIATING.

To make matters worse, I didn't have an extra dollar in my wallet. I was out of cash. The store manager looked at me and asked me to put another dollar up, and I told him I didn't have any. I asked if I could take it from the register and that I'd pay it back. He firmly said "No" and asked me if that was a serious question and if I just asked him If I could "steal" a dollar from the register?

Needless to say, he told me to go to the ATM across the street and withdraw money. I went across the street, in a HURRY, withdrew $20. I then ran back to the store, and realized I had to break the 20. It took me 10 minutes to find the manager (because the RPH was busy counseling a patient, and nobody was in the front. we have self checkout) and have him break my $20 into a $10, a $5, and 5 singles. Then I put a single on my lab coat and went back to work. When I went back to work, there were 4 people waiting at drop off, and I forgot to call that guy at drop off by his name as well because I was freaking exhausted and freaked out.

Wonder if Thibodeu will bench you today..

I will never believe something that Lil Nate says.

I would have only said 2 words to the manager. "**** you."

This is starting to seem a little farfetched even for the stupid **** that CVS normally pulls. Can someone post an actual picture of a button?

At the CVS I intern they made me wear dollar signs all over my school lab coat, which I normally wear at work. I felt like a male stripper but instead of being thrown dollar at I had to give them back. I felt so comfortable doing it that after work I went to a male strip club to ask for a job putting on my resume "stripper" at CVS. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

This is the dumbest piece of sh** I ever heard of, someone needs to cocksmack the manager.

With all due respect, I think this whole thing is made up.

Until someone can tell us at least the city where this is taking place so we can doublecheck it, I consider this an entertaining urban legend. Thanks for the laughs.

OP posted the same thing in Aug 2012 in this thread CVS WeCare Upgrade:
What is aggravating is that we are currently being made to wear a dollar bill on our smocks with a button that says "play my game..did i say your name?" and if we don't say a patient's name, they get the dollar. I always say patient names, but it feels degrading to be made to wear a dollar.

I'm sick of the corporate bull. But I need health insurance. Arrghh.

il_570xN.125938634.jpg

I am laughing at this thread. When I graduated years ago, CVS was still a small company. Now, it is all over the place!

"one pharmacy call waiting" = /

OP....what state do you work in????

Glad to know that my district still isn't THAT strict. I am always polite, courteous adn friendly with customers/patients but the forced address by name thing really just seems very scripted and fake. Honestly when I'm a customer at places I really don't care about stuff like this as long as they are friendly and not rude with me I'm satisfied. Most of the customers in this area are very friendly and laidk back and don't really care. I always address someone by their name when I know it but what the OP is discussing in his/her post is really ridiculous and if anything reminds me of the "my pleasure" thing at Chick fil A which I feel is awkward, contrived, scripted and very fake whenever I go there. I go to Chick fil A because their food is good not because someone says my pleasure, or asks for my name when they take my order, or even because they take my tray from me.

When I go to a pharmacy I want them to have a sufficient inventory, to have a reasonable wait time and for things to be done correctly and accurately. I don't really care if I am addressed by name. The only way "custoemr service" can make a difference over price, convenience, wait time, accuracy is if someone is just openly rude or nasty to me for no reason which very rarely happens to me in a private sector business of any sort. The public sector is a whole different story, they can be rude and nasty to me and I don't have the option of taking my business elsewhere.

What region or District is this happening? I asked both my SUP and DM and both laughed hysterically on this B.S!

OP....what state do you work in????

Glad to know that my district still isn't THAT strict. I am always polite, courteous adn friendly with customers/patients but the forced address by name thing really just seems very scripted and fake. Honestly when I'm a customer at places I really don't care about stuff like this as long as they are friendly and not rude with me I'm satisfied. Most of the customers in this area are very friendly and laidk back and don't really care. I always address someone by their name when I know it but what the OP is discussing in his/her post is really ridiculous and if anything reminds me of the "my pleasure" thing at Chick fil A which I feel is awkward, contrived, scripted and very fake whenever I go there. I go to Chick fil A because their food is good not because someone says my pleasure, or asks for my name when they take my order, or even because they take my tray from me.

When I go to a pharmacy I want them to have a sufficient inventory, to have a reasonable wait time and for things to be done correctly and accurately. I don't really care if I am addressed by name. The only way "custoemr service" can make a difference over price, convenience, wait time, accuracy is if someone is just openly rude or nasty to me for no reason which very rarely happens to me in a private sector business of any sort. The public sector is a whole different story, they can be rude and nasty to me and I don't have the option of taking my business elsewhere.

:thumbup: I agree with everything you say.

I am not from the south but I went to Chick Fil A once and was highly impressed with their food and customer service. I always use that as a case example to my staff.

A customer comes into the store expecting many things such as being acknowledged immediately and greeted on, speed of service, in stock, accuracy, patient counseling, etc. They are not going to go nuts because I address them by name. I do advocate it because it personalizes the relationship. I have seen many transaction where it is one sided. I have seen techs ring up customers without looking at the customer or talking to them.

Starbucks do it. Apple store does it. My BMW dealership does it. Does it make a business? Yes, if done correctly along with other customer service elements that CVS requires. Why do I care? because it seperates me from my competitors and every script that I lose means less tech and pharmacist hours which puts my store on a down ward spiral.

What region or District is this happening? I asked both my SUP and DM and both laughed hysterically on this B.S!

I think the OP is trolling, which is weird since they are a senior member. I cant imagine this plan on a regional level since there is no way in hell HR business partner would approve this.

Comes in next day...

It's your BP med.
Is my Norco ready?

LMFAO you got that down to perfection!!!!!

CVS in our area is starting this new thing where techs and cashiers in the pharmacy have to wear a button that says "did I say your name?" and it has a dollar attached to it. The first dollar is given by the company, but if you don't say a customer's name and they call you on it, they get the $1 and you replace it WITH YOUR OWN MONEY. You have to have a button with $1 attached at all times.

you've gotta be kidding me. i'm pretty sure you're not cereal.

Last edited:
I think the OP is trolling, which is weird since they are a senior member. I cant imagine this plan on a regional level since there is no way in hell HR business partner would approve this.

Holy cow. You are drinking too much of the CVS kool aid. HR business partner wouldn't allow it? Haha. HR is just another instrument used to fire employees. They are the wolves in sheeps clothing. They give them a nice name like partner. You talk like you just got out of school.

This is starting to seem a little farfetched even for the stupid **** that CVS normally pulls. Can someone post an actual picture of a button?

I will send $10 to the first person who post a picture of their button. $20 to the first person to post a picture of an action shot of a CVS employee giving the dollar off the button to a customer!

I'll raise the stakes. The first person to send me a picture of a CVS employee wearing the badge gets a $25 Amazon gift card. PM me if you are scared to go public and I will verify it to everyone.

Holy cow. You are drinking too much of the CVS kool aid. HR business partner wouldn't allow it? Haha. HR is just another instrument used to fire employees. They are the wolves in sheeps clothing. They give them a nice name like partner. You talk like you just got out of school.

He/she talks like someone paid by CVS to scan internet forums/blogs/fb/etc. for negative comments, reviews, info leaking, blahblah on the company and counteract the effect :laugh:

I have sent the pic to someone who posted earlier on here and hopefully knows how to share it.
Or if there is an easier way to post a pic on here, I.e, without having to use a link? Copy/paste didn't work.

I am not a troll. This was actually in the SOS (stores own sales) plan. I mentioned that it sounded illegal, which is what someone on here advised me to do, and nobody has had to turn over their $1 yet..I'm not sure what will happen when someone does get their $1 taken.

Sorry for the delay in response, I have been busy studying, and also, it was hard to get a pic of the button when the pharmacist was out of the pharmacy and there were no customers to take care of.

Last edited: