CVS Minute Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jas15

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A new one of these opened in my area recently. NPs work them. Prices for some things interesting. Obesity screening (BMI and waist circumference) $30. Glucose screening $40. $60 to be seen for minor sunburn. Nice selection of vaccines, though.
http://www.minuteclinic.com/en/USA/Treatment-and-Cost.aspx

Anyone know someone who has been to one of these? I am all about affordable care but how useful are these places?

Members don't see this ad.

REALLY USEFUL. I work in the NYC area and they have already opened a couple with plans to open a lot more. I always had to deal with people who come in for simple stuff, ie tourists, who can use this service. How many of you had a guy come in on the weekend but you cant do anything for him yet it is not an emergency. He can not go to the ER because it is costly, he can not get a doctor because doctor's office is close, etc.

A new one of these opened in my area recently. NPs work them. Prices for some things interesting. Obesity screening (BMI and waist circumference) $30. Glucose screening $40. $60 to be seen for minor sunburn. Nice selection of vaccines, though.
http://www.minuteclinic.com/en/USA/Treatment-and-Cost.aspx

Anyone know someone who has been to one of these? I am all about affordable care but how useful are these places?

I have used them once for my daughter (they will not do very small babies, but will see older pediatric patients). Disclaimer - I work for CVS, although not normally in a store with a Minute Clinic. Anyway, they accepted our insurance so I only had to pay the co-pay. This was a situation where I had already pretty much diagnosed what was wrong with her (impetigo), and it was the weekend so I couldn't see her regular physician. I was very satisfied in this situation, and I think that most other people I've talked to that have used them have been pleased.

Not, however, useful in my opinion for complicated patients, patients already on a lot of medication, or general physical type appointments. The NPs do provide a list of physicians in the immediate area that could see patients on a more long-term basis if they need to establish a relationship with a provider and not just one time treatment.

I have worked some in a store that has the Minute Clinic - seemed like the most popular thing to treat was UTI, skin rashes, and upper respiratory infections.

Members don't see this ad :)
we all know a major reason people come to us for advice...its fast and most important its free. no other profession gives as many freebies as we do.

what happens when someone walks up to you and wants advice for a minor sunburn but wont pay the $60 to be seen by a nurse? do you still give the free advice or refer them to the nurse? does the nurse get mad for doing her job for free?

I can hear the complaints already..."he wont give free advice anymore...now I have to pay for it!!"

I had my flu vaccine done there while I was on rotation and had a friend with cellulitis go to get an antibiotic. Overall I'd say they are decent for the mild things that come up.