CVS or Walmart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

destinedforgreatness2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a newbie with a dilemma! I have accepted an full time staff offer with CVS and I have started with the company. However, Walmart is offering a floating position to me now and I don't know what to do. In need of advice! I don't want to burn bridges but I want to be a happy pharmacist!

Members don't see this ad.

How are you going to be "destined for greatness" if you are going to work for CVS or Walmart?

If you want a life you are going to hate, go into retail. I used to intern at a training store and I can tell you none of pharmacists I met actually like retail. Because of them, I told myself I would never do retail. On my last day as an intern, I told myself I will never step a foot in this door again. I was right (so far). I never did.

Find another job. Do it now while you are still young. Don't just settle.

Is dog poo better than cat poo? If you had to make a choice, I would go with Walmart because CVS is...literally...Hitler.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as an intern for CVS throughout pharmacy school and did a rotation at Walmart (in the same town with a very similar workload and clientele). I would say that I would prefer Walmart.

The CVS where I worked and the Walmart where I did my rotation both did about 500-600 scripts daily with the same hours of operation (9 to 9). In terms of staffing, CVS would start with 1 pharmacist and 2 techs whereas the Walmart started with 2 pharmacists and 4-5 techs. CVS had a 4 hour overlap between the 2 pharmacists scheduled for the day. Walmart also had about the same overlap time, but they scheduled the pharmacists so that there was a third pharmacist present so that all of them could actually take a lunch break.

I'm not sure what the Walmart compensation package is so that could play a part in the consideration. Also, since Walmart is having you float, I'm pretty sure their districts are bigger than CVS's so you may have to travel longer distances.

cvs is well known as a stepping stone. u step on it and move on. a friend work for cvs for 2 months after graduation, then moved on to Kaiser.

That's like asking which piece of turd smells better. Go independent or grocery if you want the retail pharmacy route

Does anyone know anyone who works for the chains and actually enjoys it? I have met one. I floated in over 60 stores for various chains while moonlighting, and met 1. One solitary pharmacists who enjoyed his job. All of the others would start by saying, well I get paid well. ugh.

Odd, most of the pharacists I work with at Kroger like their jobs.

Walmart for sure. Quit cvs and don't look back. Walmart can be a decent gig....even better if you get into Sams

I've rotated through all the big chains (minus walmart) and worked for one as well, as well as a grocery store pharmacy. Honestly from my experience he chain was better than the grocery store. The chain paid techs better and had less oversight since the pharmacy had both the general grocery store manager and their pharmacy district managers trying to micromanage them. Although, the chain pharmacy had less of a script count and also less staff so that could have been why. Working for either chain doesn't degrade you as a pharmacist, if you work hard and serve patients that is what matters. The only overkill stuff I saw was at CVS where they literally had techs calling doctor offices for refills nearly everyday (and I'm unsure if patients were requesting those refills) and they had to make attempts on the same refills everyday since they loaded in a queue and got dinged if they didn't try and document something. I haven't seen that anywhere else, but it's whatever. If CVS paid me a nice salary in a good location with good benefits I'd work for them if I don't go into hospital/clinical pharmacy. I'll work for any chain that provides me what I want and need, I can work around the metrics or policies they may have and just do my job with those goals in mind.

Your job is partially what you make of it. Rarely are any jobs going to be 100% what you are looking for. Part of work is that there are aspects you will hate and not enjoy, I think too many of our generation have an entitled mindset where they want the perfect job in the perfect company that caters to them as an employee. Reality is that all profitable businesses focus on the revenue, and nearly all are going to put pressure and metrics on their employees because they want them to make revenue, they really don't care about your well-being (well, they want you to be alive and not miss work/take sick days that cost them). They exist to make money and you generate revenue for them to earn a nice paycheck. It's corporate culture, unless you're at a small town mom and pop shop that views employees like family you're going to face metrics and borderline abusive employer actions through tech hour cuts, benefit cuts, metrics, hounding down pharmacists, etc. Just adapt and do the job, or open an independent where you call the shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The answer should be obvious, considering every third thread on this forum is started by a CVS employee who hates their job/life. Is this forum a skewed sampling of only CVS pharmacists? Probably not. So take everyone's advice and don't work for CVS.

I think too many of our generation have an entitled mindset where they want the perfect job in the perfect company that caters to them as an employee. Reality is that all profitable businesses focus on the revenue, and nearly all are going to put pressure and metrics on their employees because they want them to make revenue, they really don't care about your well-being (well, they want you to be alive and not miss work/take sick days that cost them.

Respectfully this attitude is what enables this corporate culture. Where on earth does someone develop this type of perspective before ever being out in the real workforce? Being treated with respect from your employer is an "entitlement"?

And no, not all corporate cultures are like this, not even close. To assume that is the case is some strange way of rationalizing your own individual acceptance of being treated in this manner. Apple, SC Johnson, SWA, General Mills, Target, many hospitals, none of these have the abusive culture that you claim is everywhere. I'm at a loss as to 1) Where you heard this is the case and 2) why such a defeatist attitude even if it was true?

The fact is employers can't function or survive without employees, but all employees can survive just fine without a single abusive employer. Move on and hold your head up high.

Reactions: 1 users
I work for CVS. They pay techs 5 cents over min wage in my area and despite the fact that techs are paid so little they still won't give you any tech hours. I'v never worked for Walmart but I'v observed their pharmacy and can say with 7-8 people back there, no drive-through, and only 1 customer at the counter it can't possibly be worse than CVS.

Respectfully this attitude is what enables this corporate culture. Where on earth does someone develop this type of perspective before ever being out in the real workforce? Being treated with respect from your employer is an "entitlement"?

And no, not all corporate cultures are like this, not even close. To assume that is the case is some strange way of rationalizing your own individual acceptance of being treated in this manner. Apple, SC Johnson, SWA, General Mills, Target, many hospitals, none of these have the abusive culture that you claim is everywhere. I'm at a loss as to 1) Where you heard this is the case and 2) why such a defeatist attitude even if it was true?

The fact is employers can't function or survive without employees, but all employees can survive just fine without a single abusive employer. Move on and hold your head up high.

I didn't "enable" it, the drive for money and profits is what enables it. I feel that my attitude is just embracing the reality of a corporate workforce. If you go into a job with realistic expectations then you won't be disappointed when the truth hits. Things didn't develop this way because employees craved to be disrespected or to be abused/discarded. Companies need employees, but there is a massive pool to pull from thus people are expendable and because they are expendable and easily replaced they will likely be treated as such. Don't like what we ask of you to do? Well, you can quit and be replaced in a matter of days by someone who wants/needs the money. Heck, if you've been there for a while the company may be better off financially since the next person has a starting salary (not like yours that had some raises) and more than likely less vacation time (since they haven't accrued it like you have over the years being there). On the flip side, how many employees want to be hired on to a company with the goal in mind of being completely loyal to the company and wanting to actively serve it? People seek employers and companies because they want the salary and benefits that come with working there, not because they feel like they need a place to be loyal too (well, most people). Personally, I'd love to be somewhere that appreciates me, wants me to succeed, wants to reward my work ethic and performance and provides a higher standard of pay. But let's be honest, that isn't what brings shareholders and the higher ups more money, and if anything they lose it investing into you if the return isn't financially there.

A job is a transaction of sorts. You sell your time, skills, energy, and in some cases your mental health in order to be compensated with money.

Last edited:
I didn't "enable" it, the drive for money and profits is what enables it. I feel that my attitude is just embracing the reality of a corporate workforce. If you go into a job with realistic expectations then you won't be disappointed when the truth hits. Things didn't develop this way because employees craved to be disrespected or to be abused/discarded. Companies need employees, but there is a massive pool to pull from thus people are expendable and because they are expendable and easily replaced they will likely be treated as such. Don't like what we ask of you to do? Well, you can quit and be replaced in a matter of days by someone who wants/needs the money. Heck, if you've been there for a while the company may be better off financially since the next person has a starting salary (not like yours that had some raises) and more than likely less vacation time (since they haven't accrued it like you have over the years being there). On the flip side, how many employees want to be hired on to a company with the goal in mind of being completely loyal to the company and wanting to actively serve it? People seek employers and companies because they want the salary and benefits that come with working there, not because they feel like they need a place to be loyal too (well, most people). Personally, I'd love to be somewhere that appreciates me, wants me to succeed, wants to reward my work ethic and performance and provides a higher standard of pay. But let's be honest, that isn't what brings shareholders and the higher ups more money, and if anything they lose it investing into you if the return isn't financially there.

A job is a transaction of sorts. You sell your time, skills, energy, and in some cases your mental health in order to be compensated with money.
Retail pharmacists tend to be more expendable to corporate since the job itself is not specialized. New graduates can be quickly trained and put up to speed; seniority has little to no advantage.

I'd have to agree with N974 though. There are a multitude of corporations that don't treat their employees like dirt; it comes down to business philosophy. I currently work for a large corporation that doesn't micromanage and abuse its employees. The grocery store chain I work for also gives its pharmacists a good work-life balance (unlike your experience, the PIC in the few pharmacies I work at have a lot of control over day-to-day operations). Setting ethics and public relations aside, a happier employee = a more productive employee.

The mentality you have makes you far more prepared to deal with retail BS than the average person. On the flip side, you might end up selling yourself short.

To be honest, even supermarkets aren't all that great. Better than CVS, but at least half of the pharmacists and floaters I work with are, in a word... bored. Unfulfilled. When you're filling 75 scripts a day with 1 tech or 150 scripts with 2 techs staffed, there's a lot of down time to ruminate over the nothing you're doing. Maybe the overworked and underpaid would prefer this sort of job, but it instills a deep sense of malaise for some.

Last edited:
another big misconception, not all grocery store does that little. I can tell you that HEB and Krogers dominate CVS/WAG in my area. we are just properly staff compared to them

another big misconception, not all grocery store does that little. I can tell you that HEB and Krogers dominate CVS/WAG in my area. we are just properly staff compared to them
Seems like a nice setup, then. A happy medium. It's not really the norm for my area, unfortunately.

Go with Walmart...no cutting tech/clerk hours, plenty of help, good computer system, no drive through, etc. I left one of the chains to join walmart and am very glad I never looked back.

Just received the offer for walmart. My only concern is burning bridges with CVS if I decided to leave, especially since it seems as if CVS is buying everyone lol. Any advice on how to best approach leaving my current situation if I do decide to take the offer? Would you take a floater position at Walmart over a staff position at CVS? Also what about the error rate policy and Bentonville? Thanks for the advice everyone!

Go with Walmart, CVS would not even remember you worked there 2 months from now. No one cares believe me. Just do what's best for you

OP did you ever go with Walmart, and if so are you happy with your decision?

The grass is not always greener. Dog poo vs cat poo, indeed!

How are you going to be "destined for greatness" if you are going to work for CVS or Walmart?

If you want a life you are going to hate, go into retail. I used to intern at a training store and I can tell you none of pharmacists I met actually like retail. Because of them, I told myself I would never do retail. On my last day as an intern, I told myself I will never step a foot in this door again. I was right (so far). I never did.

Find another job. Do it now while you are still young. Don't just settle.

Yes, no one really enjoys retail. But retail pays the most. Not everyone went into pharmacy to "make a difference".

Wow. You are already a slave.