CVS or Walmart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmk011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the topic of retail chains has been discussed over and over and over again.. so sorry to do this.. but I'm kind of stuck between the 2 stores. I had my 2nd interview with Walmart today and have also been offered a job with CVS. On here, it seems like people have nothing but negative things to say about CVS (mainly with the stress placed on numbers). I know it varies from store to store.. but are most peoples' experiences with CVS bad? Also, I can't find much info on working as a Walmart tech. I really liked the pharmacy manager I interviewed with and from the way she described it, it seems like a good place to work... but I just wanted to get some opinions from people who have actually worked at Walmart (or CVS).
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I know the topic of retail chains has been discussed over and over and over again.. so sorry to do this.. but I'm kind of stuck between the 2 stores. I had my 2nd interview with Walmart today and have also been offered a job with CVS. On here, it seems like people have nothing but negative things to say about CVS (mainly with the stress placed on numbers). I know it varies from store to store.. but are most peoples' experiences with CVS bad? Also, I can't find much info on working as a Walmart tech. I really liked the pharmacy manager I interviewed with and from the way she described it, it seems like a good place to work... but I just wanted to get some opinions from people who have actually worked at Walmart (or CVS).
Thanks!!

Search.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok ok no need to keep replying! i take back what i said...

beatdeadhorsemw1.jpg

you'll probably learn more stuff at cvs because they are busier..whereas at walmart, u might have to deal with otc stuff if the pharmacist on duty wants u to...goodluck...

you'll probably learn more stuff at cvs because they are busier..whereas at walmart, u might have to deal with otc stuff if the pharmacist on duty wants u to...goodluck...

thanks for your help!

I work at Walmart. The shifts during the week are 12 hours for the supercenters and 13 hours for the neighborhood markets. Saturday and Sunday is 10 and 8 hours respectively. No drive thru either at the Supercenters :)

If you all weren't so busy looking at the horses, you'd see that she is asking about an intern job, not as a pharmacist.

My 2 cents - I work for CVS but have also shadowed a Wal-Mart pharmacist. I personally would not work for Wal-Mart because I found the whole atmosphere to be less than professional - the stores are very loud, constant voices on the loudspeaker, too many people coming by to yell at the pharmacy staff as to where xyz product is, etc.

However, I do think that their computer system is MUCH better than CVS.

There has also been a lot of impact on the Wal-Mart pharmacists workload due to the whole $4 Rx thing. I talked to a W-M pharmacist not too long ago who told me that the uninsured patients are "coming out of the woodwork". That might be a good thing if it reduces all the insurance hassles, I guess but it is driving up volume.

Used to be Sav-on in Southern California and now CVS owns all the stand alone Sav-on. Things haven't been the same since we converted. Customers left, employees frustrated, employee benefits reduced (a stinky 20% off their over-priced products vs cost + 13% when we were Sav-on). I would say stay away from the evil CVS. Lots of OT opportunities though if you're a pharmacist as many previous Sav-on pharmacists quitted.