CVS PIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hulkbuster333

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated this year and I was able to get a floater position at CVS in the area that I wanted. I would really like a permanent store and 2 PIC positions opened up in my area, one right down the street from where I live. I've only been with the company since June. Is it worth it to apply?

I'm not sure I'd even be considered for the position. Furthermore, I'm not sure that I'm interested in being PIC with all of the extra stress. But I really don't want to be a floater.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't do it, trust me. Been there. All you need is a pulse and an active pharmacist license to get the PIC position. I gave mine up to a new grad that floated for two months and I don't regret doing it at all. Work as a floater for a couple of years and then decide if you want to do it. Or, just search these forums and read what others like me have said about their experience. And once you're a PIC, it's hard to step down and be a staff pharmacist with CVS. Just my 2 cents..

PS: Some of the reasons not to be PIC include:

a. you don't get much of a raise and the extra pay & stock option/bonus is usually not worth the extra responsibilities you have as PIC
b. you are responsible for the success or failure of the metrics and CVS has way too many metrics
c. you are responsible for meeting flu shot goals which year after year seem to become harder to meet
d. you are responsible if the Board comes in and finds any issues, even if you didn't necessarily cause them

As a floater, you are FREE. You're not held accountable for the pharmacy meeting all the metric goals. You go in and do your job and then leave and you can sleep at night without worrying about anything. Just be good at your job and the floater position is easy. Pick up a few extra shifts each month and your pay will come closer to what the PIC makes.

PS: This advice comes from me as PIC of the #1 store in my district, #4 in the region for mCE. Top 5 in WeCARE. And the store I most recently got as PIC was second to last in the district in WeCARE and mCE before I took over.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
catalyzt - thanks for the advice! I've seen the posts on here which is what makes me not want to even apply. I also have spoken with the last 2 PICs and know the reason they left. Let's just say, it wasn't a pretty situation which has deterred me also.

WVUPharm2007 - lol you should go for it :p

I'd just be patient and wait for a staff job to open up at a desireable location, or even keep floating if you like it.

Would you rather have the added stress of being PIC or work an extra 1-2 shifts a month and make the same amount as a PIC? I'd rather just work the extra day or two than deal with all the extra stuff to be honest.

Hell most PICs I've worked with work enough time off the clock they aren't really making any more per hour than the floaters. Always coming in 30 minutes early and staying 10 minutes late.

Go to one of your state's Board of Pharmacy meetings and observe the stuff PICs get in trouble for before you take it. Think of the worst floater in your district and decide if you are comfortable getting held accountable for everything they do on your day off. You are also getting disciplined if a tech steals something.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to one of your state's Board of Pharmacy meetings and observe the stuff PICs get in trouble for before you take it. Think of the worst floater in your district and decide if you are comfortable getting held accountable for everything they do on your day off. You are also getting disciplined if a tech steals something.

Never saw anything like that at any BOP meeting I have attended.

I do know a pic that got discipled for "failing to safeguard" controls after tech stole from the pharmacy.

He's right. My previous PIC was disciplined for this.

Unless you are doing something outright illegal or against the rules (i.e. Ce reporting), My state really only fines pharmacists for errors reported to them (like $250) or actual pharmacies when they are failing to meet some standard like record keeping.

As pic I make like 4K more/year and my potential bonus is 1500$ higher (not cvs) I guess it really depends on the actual pharmacy though. Easier being pic doing 800/week vs 2300