CVS plans massive hiring surge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have seen me say it before. It is not a nurse problem, it is CVS. They hired pharmacists, who could do some billing and bench work, last year at $50 an hour. They let most of them go and they ones they 'kept' wouldn't get many hours. Then 2 months later they tried to hire pharmacists and data people again to do LTC Covid shots. If they are hiring nurses and paying them 1.5x and using agencies to do it. It is just typical cvs behavior. Lack of vision.

Edit. If they paid me $75, I would come back and provide a lot more than a nurse would and be a lot more flexible. For $50? They can keep that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No doubt that nursing is the best ROI for a career. Much more upward mobility as well. Students that are thinking of going to pharmacy school usually think nursing is a step down until I show them them the employment numbers and salary and mobility.

Reactions: 2 users
You can become an RN in two years for a fraction of the cost of pharmacy school. No one is stopping you.
You can become an RN in two years for a fraction of the cost of pharmacy school. No one is stopping you.
Amount of stress that nurses go through? No thanks haha
Ps as CA resident i have always skaggs to count on for 15k a year tuition

Members don't see this ad :)
Hells no. You try to teach them to do it and they are all "I'm here to give shots, not do billing." They were just hired and thrown at stores with no clear expectations set other than "you'll vaccinate people."

As with most CVS things, it was done in a reactionary way and with little to no planning.
Sounds a lot like a bunch of these new hire techs and "hybrid" store front employees...won't do any other work than assigned station (simple **** like cleaning up, taking out trash, replenishing supplies, answering the phone, learning how to do basic **** like billing or using a computer, etc.) but rather just eat, listen to music/have earbuds in 24/7, and/or play on cell phone in between customers. The desperation is ridiculous - resorting to entitled employees....having a job just seems like an inconvenience the them rather than an opportunity

Never worked with so many new hires who are so god damn casual about how much actual work gets done...better than nothing mentality. Only do what they feel like doing

Last edited:
Amount of stress that nurses go through? No thanks haha
Ps as CA resident i have always skaggs to count on for 15k a year tuition

Then don't complain about how much they're making?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You have seen me say it before. It is not a nurse problem, it is CVS. They hired pharmacists, who could do some billing and bench work, last year at $50 an hour. They let most of them go and they ones they 'kept' wouldn't get many hours. Then 2 months later they tried to hire pharmacists and data people again to do LTC Covid shots. If they are hiring nurses and paying them 1.5x and using agencies to do it. It is just typical cvs behavior. Lack of vision.

Edit. If they paid me $75, I would come back and provide a lot more than a nurse would and be a lot more flexible. For $50? They can keep that.

Are these nurses getting benefits? If not then $50 w/benefits is comparable to $75 w/out benefits.

I never said that flu shot or LTC short term hires were getting any benefits. It was strictly per diem, just like these nurses.

I can report that there is *one* nurse that not only learned to use the IronMan and kind of learned to do some billing, but also puts bags away in between shots.

A ****ing star she is.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I can report that there is *one* nurse that not only learned to use the IronMan and kind of learned to do some billing, but also puts bags away in between shots.

A ****ing star she is.
(brace yourself for the sarcasm)

Man, I just love having to pick up like dozens of vaccine adaptor pieces that just get tossed all over the god damn place without a care in the world along with the plethora of bandage and alcohol swab wrappers. Are they even trying/aiming for the garbage can I wonder? Or is the expectation for the world to clean up after them?

This is hearsay but I am told Wags and CVS are hiring part timers 32$ an hour ...no bennies...but new grads are desperate.....I know a long term CVS guy who hates it...

The nurses they are bringing in are... Interesting. One didn't know how a luer lock prefilled flu vaccine worked. She was over there trying to draw it up with a separate syringe and needle. None of them know how to do any insurance. Or work any of the computers. So literally all they do is give shots. A 30 second task that is the most straightforward and easy part of the process. It's 5 minutes of staring at us while doing nothing, then 1 minute of giving a vaccine. Rinse wash repeat.

And they are getting paid $75/hr to do it.

What a joke.

I already had a strong dislike for nurses and especially their God damned union from working at a hospital. They...aren't helping themselves with the effort shown here, either.
today I floated at a very understaffed store. They sent a nurse to do immunization . it was her first day , and she was not trained. she was just sitting down and took forever to do one shot. we were were struggling on the bench. It was me and 2 techs. what a day.

The idiots are finally starting to realize the problem. The general public effing sucks.
But where else are these entitled individuals going to get an ego trip & **** all over public restrooms like some kind of wild animal?

Some people need a place to safely be able to put down others & feel superior despite this whole human civilization thing treating others with decency and respect

ok, ok...sarcasm

The idiots are finally starting to realize the problem. The general public effing sucks.

"Business owners have accused workers of being lazy, or disincentivized by expanded federal unemployment benefits"

LoL of course they blame the employees instead of themselves

Reactions: 4 users
Well I thought I would take a stab at this and apply because I saw a position open up closer to home and it also had a sign on bonus to boot. Talked with recruiter and he is going on about how he desperately needs to hire several people but I still need to do their 'virtual tryout'. Well I must have flunked their personality test and am not CVS material. Oh well, it is always a learning experience I share with peers and undergrads about the real state of the market.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Well I thought I would take a stab at this and apply because I saw a position open up closer to home and it also had a sign on bonus to boot. Talked with recruiter and he is going on about how he desperately needs to hire several people but I still need to do their 'virtual tryout'. Well I must have flunked their personality test and am not CVS material. Oh well, it is always a learning experience I share with peers and undergrads about the real state of the market.
hmmm those personality tests are more about how consistent your answers are overall (many questions have repeated/overlapping responses). I'm guessing you changed your mind too much on what you told yourself what type of person you are.

hmmm those personality tests are more about how consistent your answers are overall (many questions have repeated/overlapping responses). I'm guessing you changed your mind too much on what you told yourself what type of person you are.
Perhaps. I still got a pretty good gig so no loss of sleep.