CVS PTO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farmgurl20

Reaction score
Does cvs gives PTO to their new hires? I didnt see it any where in my offer letter. I heard from someone that you had to work for them for 5 years to get 3 weeks PTO. I thought PTO was standard for any decent full time job?

Members don't see this ad.

You can use vacation time 6 months after your start date. It's 2 weeks per year to start out, then it goes up over time.

From the HR web portal:

Full-time Employees are eligible to begin accruing vacation on the first day of the first full month following 6 months of continuous employment.

Newly eligible employees (whether new hires or employee's changing from part-time to full-time status) will be eligible for vacation time according to the following schedule:

Month Hired6-Month AnniversaryVacation Time FactorVacation Hours*
JuneJanuary 112/210080
JulyFebruary 111/12.91666673
AugustMarch 110/12.83333367
SeptemberApril 19/12.75000060
OctoberMay 18/12.66666653
NovemberJune 17/12.58333347
DecemberJuly 16/12.50000040
JanuaryAugust 15/12.41666633
FebruarySeptember 14/12.33333327
MarchOctober 13/12.25000020
AprilNovember 12/12.16666613
MayDecember 11/12.0833337
*Hours represents 2 weeks of vacation using a 40-hour workweek. Actual allocation will be based on the employees scheduled hours worked or average hours, as applicable.

Reactions: 1 user
My pto at CVS showed up 1 year after I started and it was 79 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
You accumulate 3.08 vacation hours per pay period which equates to 2 work weeks (80 hours) per year. After 5 years you get 120 hours per year. Don't know what happens after that, I didn't last that long. I heard you have to be there 15 years to get 4 weeks.

• Wow
2 weeks vacation as a new hired pharmacist for CVS? That's a joke right?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
It's been 2 weeks to start (and it's prorated based on your start date IIRC) since I started w/ them in 2014. It hasn't changed.

2 weeks vacation as a new hired pharmacist for CVS? That's a joke right?

That's pretty standard across US, not just in pharmacy. Your typical office worker in marketing, admin, accounting, finance, civil engineering, etc get two weeks to start.

If you start as a tech before school, that counts towards the five year mark though. So some new pharmacists have 3 weeks cause they've been with the company for a long time as a tech. Not sure if you have to be full time or part time or if it's just based on hire date.

That's pretty standard across US, not just in pharmacy. Your typical office worker in marketing, admin, accounting, finance, civil engineering, etc get two weeks to start.

If you start as a tech before school, that counts towards the five year mark though. So some new pharmacists have 3 weeks cause they've been with the company for a long time as a tech. Not sure if you have to be full time or part time or if it's just based on hire date.
That's exactly what happened with me. I was a part time tech/ intern (though almost always worked full time hours) and started with 3 weeks because they kept my original hire date for benefits.

Though that's with a different chain.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

It's based on hired date. The clock starts ticking from to moment you're hired. I believe 2 weeks to start, 3 weeks after 5 years with the company, and 4 weeks after 15 years (?). I could be wrong on the last one. I think it use to be 10 years but they changed it.

CVS used to prorate your time as an intern. Every hour you worked as an intern counts as one hour towards full time employment. It was better than nothing but most interns don’t even end up with one year worth of hours.

It's been 2 weeks to start (and it's prorated based on your start date IIRC) since I started w/ them in 2014. It hasn't changed.

when i signed with them in 16 it was 3 weeks plus the 7-10 (forget exact ones) holidays. It was a tuff to hire spot and only had to mention it once in the interview.

Reckon WM starts with 1 week for new hires..

since when? I thought it was close to 4 weeks pto including holiday for new salaried rph

No it's not. Who is telling you this?

Members don't see this ad :)
No it's not. Who is telling you this?

Myself, former co-workers, friends, family. I used to work in an office building with the types of workers I mentioned and that was standard.

Oh and something called the BLS:
"According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 76 percent of private industry workers (who make up 84.7 percent of all workers) receive paid vacation days. After one year of employment, these workers were granted 10 days of paid vacation, on average."

Pharmacists have tunnel vision. Not everyone gets paid 6 figures with multiple weeks of vacation.

when i signed with them in 16 it was 3 weeks plus the 7-10 (forget exact ones) holidays. It was a tuff to hire spot and only had to mention it once in the interview.

since when? I thought it was close to 4 weeks pto including holiday for new salaried rph

4 weeks LOL! I was offered 2 weeks and this was 8 years ago.

4 weeks LOL! I was offered 2 weeks and this was 8 years ago.

not sure if you are still at wm but i dug up my copy on pto; for ft 40 hours its
hire-4 weeks 1 day (8 hour days)
2 yrs- 23 days
3 yrs-26 days
6 yrs -31 days

I know it was different 8 yrs ago though.

What do you think is standard?

3 weeks for high earning professionals. Every new grad pharmacist I know of gets 3 weeks. MSLs I used to deal with get 3 weeks. My attorney got 3 weeks when hired at his firm. My real estate partners all start at 3 weeks. CVS pharmacists don't know how bad they have it.

You can use vacation time 6 months after your start date. It's 2 weeks per year to start out, then it goes up over time.

From the HR web portal:
does It vary by state or is it companywide thing? I am in California.

3 weeks for high earning professionals. Every new grad pharmacist I know of gets 3 weeks. MSLs I used to deal with get 3 weeks. My attorney got 3 weeks when hired at his firm. My real estate partners all start at 3 weeks. CVS pharmacists don't know how bad they have it.

CVS doesn’t use a shared PTO bank though. Or at least it didn’t used to. So 2 weeks sounds bad but then consider that sick time and holidays doesn’t come out of that.

Like I said, tunnel vision. High earning professionals are not your average American.

Which company gives new grad pharmacists 3 weeks vacation? Hospitals generally give more than retail.

Just take an intermittent FMLA (After you are eligible) and use a few days in conjunction with your days off here and there. Yeah it's slimy, but so are they, make a few bucks and get out, thats the deal these days. no loyalty anymore.

Just take an intermittent FMLA (After you are eligible) and use a few days in conjunction with your days off here and there. Yeah it's slimy, but so are they, make a few bucks and get out, thats the deal these days. no loyalty anymore.
That’s the plan, paying off debt and get some experience for year or two and out!

Wow...I just started a new job in January, and started at 4 weeks PTO. I can't even imagine 2 weeks in the current environment being enough to have a healthy work-life balance!

Wow...I just started a new job in January, and started at 4 weeks PTO. I can't even imagine 2 weeks in the current environment being enough to have a healthy work-life balance!

Yeah it really sucks. Hard to get time off in retail. Where do you work?

20 days of PTO, but does include your holiday and sick days as part of it? I know one company that gives 22 PTO days but people have to use 8 of them for holidays.

good time off benefits are the best benefits of working at many hospitals. unfortunately many hospitals are cutting back on that

Yeah it really sucks. Hard to get time off in retail. Where do you work?

Home infusion pharmacy for a university health system.

20 days of PTO, but does include your holiday and sick days as part of it? I know one company that gives 22 PTO days but people have to use 8 of them for holidays.

good time off benefits are the best benefits of working at many hospitals. unfortunately many hospitals are cutting back on that

20 days include vacation and sick days. We also have 10 holidays that are paid, separate from PTO. At five years, you get 25 days. At 10 years, you get 30 days. Needless to say, I feel very lucky to work where I do.

Home infusion pharmacy for a university health system.

20 days include vacation and sick days. We also have 10 holidays that are paid, separate from PTO. At five years, you get 25 days. At 10 years, you get 30 days. Needless to say, I feel very lucky to work where I do.

That sounds similar then. CVS gives you 80 hours (10 days if you work 8 hour shifts) and the state gives another 80 hours sick time. Not sure how other states handle it. Of course you have to work holidays but I think 6 or 7 are an extra 8 hours of pay whether you work or not.