CVS RxConnect Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePharmStu2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My store just got the new RxConnect system and I just started not long ago, and I don't get to work much since I am in college. I want to ask some questions, before I go back to work so I know what I am doing. I have been doing training online, but it does not explain some stuff.

Lets say for a transfer prescription, if a patients wants to get it transferred from a walgreens, do we have to call the walgreens or should we tell them to have walgreens call us? Or lets say if he is transferring from a different cvs, there are two options on RxConnect CVS TRANSFER and TRANSFER IN or TRANSFER OUT? What is the difference?

Also if it is a in store transfer, do we just need the prescription number and store #, and we dont even need to call the store and enter the patients profile in our system? Will it be automatically transferred to our system? What if its transfer from different store, what's the procedure, do we use TRANSFER IN?

Thanks for your help, I just dont want to look like an idiot when I go to work. I am trying hard to learn it.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: Policies may vary slightly at your store

Situation #1: Customer comes in with, say, a walgreens bottle, says, "I want to transfer this rx to CVS."

CVS RPh makes a phone call to Wags RPh, gets necessary info. You, as tech, use the TI function to enter the info about which Wags it was, what the Wags rx number was, how many refills were left, etc. Then, on the next screen, you type the drug, sig, and other info as for a regular rx.

PROTIP: If you have multiple rx's to transfer, be careful when you get to the last screen, as you can re-use the transfer info. If you X out, you have to re-type all of that stuff.

Situation #2: CVS to CVS transfer:

You do not need to call if: It's an active rx with refills left You can just try to fill it, and the system will ask, "Do you want to perform a transfer in?" Answer yes.

You do need to call if: It was already filled over at another store, so you need them to "back it out" (return to stock) and then have them fax you the hard copy. This can happen because they're on ready fill and didn't realize it, or tried to refill online or by phone, and didn't understand to which store the refill request was being sent to.

OR

The rx was placed on hold and never filled.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: Policies may vary slightly at your store

Situation #1: Customer comes in with, say, a walgreens bottle, says, "I want to transfer this rx to CVS."

CVS RPh makes a phone call to Wags RPh, gets necessary info. You, as tech, use the TI function to enter the info about which Wags it was, what the Wags rx number was, how many refills were left, etc. Then, on the next screen, you type the drug, sig, and other info as for a regular rx.

PROTIP: If you have multiple rx's to transfer, be careful when you get to the last screen, as you can re-use the transfer info. If you X out, you have to re-type all of that stuff.

Situation #2: CVS to CVS transfer:

You do not need to call if: It's an active rx with refills left You can just try to fill it, and the system will ask, "Do you want to perform a transfer in?" Answer yes.

You do need to call if: It was already filled over at another store, so you need them to "back it out" (return to stock) and then have them fax you the hard copy. This can happen because they're on ready fill and didn't realize it, or tried to refill online or by phone, and didn't understand to which store the refill request was being sent to.

OR

The rx was placed on hold and never filled.

Hope this helps!
Hey,
Thank you so much for helping me. Do you guys also use Rx Connect?

1. So what is the TRANSFER OUT button for? If a Walgreen calls us, because a customer wants RX transferred from our CVS to Walgreens. What do I Do? Do I tell the patient to tell Walgreens to call us? Do I just the fax them the prescription and delete it form our system? And to "back it out" do I need to do RETURN TO BATCH button or DELETE the prescription?

2. If it is a CVS store to store transfer, do I just scan the bottle for TI option or click on CVS TRANSFER button and enter the store and RX number, How do you tell from the computer if it was filled at another store, besides trying to fill it, insurance rejecting it, and then realizing that it did not go through?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

1. So what is the TRANSFER OUT button for? If a Walgreen calls us, because a customer wants RX transferred from our CVS to Walgreens. What do I Do? Do I tell the patient to tell Walgreens to call us? Do I just the fax them the prescription and delete it form our system? And to "back it out" do I need to do RETURN TO BATCH button or DELETE the prescription?

2. If it is a CVS store to store transfer, do I just scan the bottle for TI option or click on CVS TRANSFER button and enter the store and RX number, How do you tell from the computer if it was filled at another store, besides trying to fill it, insurance rejecting it, and then realizing that it did not go through?

I've been at my store since April. It has been an RxConnect store the entire time I've been there. I don't know when the switch was made.

In my time, I've never had to use Transfer Out. If a Walgreens calls and wants to "steal" an RX from us, (I'm assuming you're a tech), you put them on hold and get the RPh. It is my understanding that those conversations need to take place between pharmacists. (like I said before, policies may vary at your store. I don't know if this is a fed/state LAW, a CVS RULE, or just the PREFERENCE of the RPh's at my store)

I also don't see "transfer outs" as requests all that much. Picture this: You're a customer. You're transferring a prescription out. Chances are it's for 1 of 2 reasons. You're either moving (or something like that) or pissed off at the old pharmacy. In either case, are you going to trust the pharmacy you're pissed off at or moving away from, or the pharmacy you're moving to or hope to NOT be pissed off at to handle the legwork?

As far as how to tell if a rx was NOT filled at your store: From the main screen, search for the patient by last,first,(maybe dob). Hit P for profile. There's lots of info on that screen. Name of drug, last fill date, number of refills left, rx number, prescriber name, etc. One of those things is the store #. If it was filled at your store, the store number will show up in blue. If not, the store number will show up in black (and, obviously, be different from your store #). You can hit F11 to get info on any store by typing in their store number or city and state.

Protip: Always remember to remind patients that there is a limit to how many times controls can be transferred.

Also if it is a in store transfer, do we just need the prescription number and store #, and we dont even need to call the store and enter the patients profile in our system?

You don't need to re-enter the patient's profile if they've filled at ANY CVS store before. Try to get into the habit, from the main screen, of searching by last name, first name, DOB. It helps eliminate errors.

Example, John Smith, DOB August 15, 1987, from the main screen type:

smi,joh,081587

Exact matches from your store will show up in yellow, matches from other stores in blue, close matches will be un-highlighted.

And to “back it out” do I need to do RETURN TO BATCH button or DELETE the prescription?

"Back it out" = hit R on the main screen, scan the bottle, and return to stock. If the system asks if you want to put the rx on hold, answer NO if it's a transfer situation. If it's a regular customer who has just slacked off and not picked up their meds in 2 weeks, answer YES unless otherwise directed. There is also a way to "deactivate" all future refills, which I have only had to use once, when I found out via making those stupid PCQ calls that one of our patients had died. But I don't remember which key that is.

You don't need to re-enter the patient's profile if they've filled at ANY CVS store before. Try to get into the habit, from the main screen, of searching by last name, first name, DOB. It helps eliminate errors.

Example, John Smith, DOB August 15, 1987, from the main screen type:

smi,joh,081587

Exact matches from your store will show up in yellow, matches from other stores in blue, close matches will be un-highlighted.

This! Multiple profiles for the same people used to drive me nuts! It's so much more work.

"Back it out" = hit R on the main screen, scan the bottle, and return to stock. If the system asks if you want to put the rx on hold, answer NO if it's a transfer situation. If it's a regular customer who has just slacked off and not picked up their meds in 2 weeks, answer YES unless otherwise directed. There is also a way to "deactivate" all future refills, which I have only had to use once, when I found out via making those stupid PCQ calls that one of our patients had died. But I don't remember which key that is.

Anouther situation to use inactivate refills is when a patient tells you that their doctor told them to stop taking a particular medication. I had that happen a few times while making PCQ calls.

Hey if you fill a prescription or refill, but it did not go through, How do you delete the refill only without deleting the entire prescription ?. I really appreciate you answering these questions for me, I am just trying to learn it and get better at my job.

Hey if you fill a prescription or refill, but it did not go through, How do you delete the refill only without deleting the entire prescription ?. I really appreciate you answering these questions for me, I am just trying to learn it and get better at my job.

I assume you mean a 3rd party reject? Select the Rx from QE -> 'E' for Edit -> 'DE' for delete, which will delete the refill.

Only if it's the first fill will it as you to put it on hold or delete the prescription.

Also, I think learnet has a bunch of tutorials that actually allow you to practice on a simulation of RxConnect.

Hey,

1. So what is the TRANSFER OUT button for? If a Walgreen calls us, because a customer wants RX transferred from our CVS to Walgreens. What do I Do? Do I tell the patient to tell Walgreens to call us? Do I just the fax them the prescription and delete it form our system? And to “back it out” do I need to do RETURN TO BATCH button or DELETE the prescription?

1. Transfer Out is to be used when you are transferring a prescription to another pharmacy. This is only to be used if there has already been a fill against that particular prescription with refills remaining. If there has yet to be a fill against the prescription, just pull the hard copy, fax it to the other pharmacy, and inactivate or delete the prescription from the system. TO's need to be confirmed by the pharmacist at the end when the pharmacist enters their credentials for the day. Are you an intern? It varies by PIC, but my PIC's allow me to do all TI's and TO's and they verify TO's at the end. Typically, the new pharmacy will call you to request a transfer in.

2. If you look at the patient's profile, there is a column for store number. This will tell you where the prescription was dropped of, faxed, or e-scribed to. If you see that it is at another store, you can check their status by typing in "S" from the profile screen. If it shows up as being in the waiting bin, you need to call that store and have them "back it out", otherwise the patient will lose a fill in the system. If it has yet to be filled, you can just transfer it in.

1. Transfer Out is to be used when you are transferring a prescription to another pharmacy. This is only to be used if there has already been a fill against that particular prescription with refills remaining. If there has yet to be a fill against the prescription, just pull the hard copy, fax it to the other pharmacy, and inactivate or delete the prescription from the system. TO's need to be confirmed by the pharmacist at the end when the pharmacist enters their credentials for the day. Are you an intern? It varies by PIC, but my PIC's allow me to do all TI's and TO's and they verify TO's at the end. Typically, the new pharmacy will call you to request a transfer in.

2. If you look at the patient's profile, there is a column for store number. This will tell you where the prescription was dropped of, faxed, or e-scribed to. If you see that it is at another store, you can check their status by typing in "S" from the profile screen. If it shows up as being in the waiting bin, you need to call that store and have them "back it out", otherwise the patient will lose a fill in the system. If it has yet to be filled, you can just transfer it in.
I appreciate all of you guys help. I had another question as I get ready to go back to work again. How do you tell by looking at the patient screen whether the prescription is new or its a refill?

There is a fill number column on the patient profile. An 00 will mean an original, 01 and higher will indicate a refill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I had a situation where the script was on hold from store #111111. When I tried to refill the script to my store, it asked if I wanted to Transfer-In. I answered yes! The refilled failed. My senior tech told me that it needed to be verify. Why?

Today I had a situation where the script was on hold from store #111111. When I tried to refill the script to my store, it asked if I wanted to Transfer-In. I answered yes! The refilled failed. My senior tech told me that it needed to be verify. Why?
The pharmacist at that store hasn't verified that the script was typed correctly yet. CVS recently implemented the ability to transfer prescriptions on "Hold" between stores by requiring pharmacists to first verify it was typed correctly. Before that we couldn't transfer prescriptions on "Hold" at all without calling the other store and having them fax it to us manually. The prescription you were trying to transfer was probably older and put on hold way before CVS changed its policy where pharmacists are required to verify it.

Thank you for replying. Is it the sending Store Pharmacist or the receiving Store Pharmacist who must do the verify. Thank you Unsured90. May I ask you more questions in the future as I am just starting out at CVS as a Rx Pharmacy Tech Trainee? Thank you!

Thank you for replying. Is it the sending Store Pharmacist or the receiving Store Pharmacist who must do the verify. Thank you Unsured90. May I ask you more questions in the future as I am just starting out at CVS as a Rx Pharmacy Tech Trainee? Thank you!
Sending store

Thank you for your reply. The ON HOLD status.....does it means just that. It need to be verify by the Pharmacist at the store in which the hard copy as transcribe? Thank you!

Thank you for your reply. The ON HOLD status.....does it means just that. It need to be verify by the Pharmacist at the store in which the hard copy as transcribe? Thank you!

it is hard to say what exactly is required without actually looking at the screen and the message. if you call cvs helpdesk, they can login to your work station and see what is needed to be done. it is their job to resolve all RxConnect issues. and they are more than happy to help you.

Thank you for replying. What you are saying is that there are more than one reason why a script would be put on hold. In my case it look like the script need to be verify by the pharmacist. Do you know the other scenerio(s) why a script would be put on hold? Here is the other question, if the script is on auto-fill and someone put it on hold, what will happen? Will it go to QT until it get resolve?

Let say Medicine A start with 10 fills. The first fill was done a month ago, leaving 9 fills left. This month a fill was done and is sitting in the waiting bin, leaving 8 left. For CVS Rx System (at this point in time) what does the refill remaining number shown at this time? Does this number on the screen get reduce when the refill goes to the waiting bin or when the customer actually pay for it at pick up?? Thank you!

Thank you for replying. What you are saying is that there are more than one reason why a script would be put on hold. In my case it look like the script need to be verify by the pharmacist. Do you know the other scenerio(s) why a script would be put on hold? Here is the other question, if the script is on auto-fill and someone put it on hold, what will happen? Will it go to QT until it get resolve?
No it won't go to QT. Only prescriptions being actively processed for fill are in any of the queues. Scripts are put on hold because you just want to leave it in the patient's profile. You don't want to delete it and the patient doesn't want to fill it right now (because maybe they have enough of that medication at home, maybe the price is too expensive, maybe it's too early and the insurance won't pay for it yet, etc).

Let say Medicine A start with 10 fills. The first fill was done a month ago, leaving 9 fills left. This month a fill was done and is sitting in the waiting bin, leaving 8 left. For CVS Rx System (at this point in time) what does the refill remaining number shown at this time? Does this number on the screen get reduce when the refill goes to the waiting bin or when the customer actually pay for it at pick up?? Thank you!
Prescriptions have A) an original fill and B) refills. A prescription with 10 refills can be filled a total of 11 times in its lifetime before it expires (original fill + 10 refills). If you look at the CVS labels/system, the first fill is the original fill and it's marked as "00". If you see "01" that means it's the first refill, "02" = second refill, and so forth. If a prescription is processed the CVS system will immediately deduct from the refill remaining number shown (even if the patient hasn't picked it up yet).
Keep in mind sometimes the refill number isn't accurate because patients don't fill the full quantity prescribed. Example: doctor prescribes #90 pills with 1 refill but insurance only pays for #30 at a time. You fill it as #30 because of the insurance. The screen will say 1 refill but the QUANTITY REMAINING should be #150. This is because the original prescription of #90 plus 1 refill = #180 pills in total and you only filled #30 so far.

It removes the refills once it goes into the waiting bin. But if another store transfers the script while it is in the waiting bin the computer will add the refills back on to the prescription and tell the store to return it from the waiting bin back to the shelf.

A script that says fill #00 in the profile has never been filled and is considered on-hold. It may be because the script it too early to fill or the patient didn't want it. The pharmacist still has to verify that the script was typed in correctly before it it can go on-hold even though it isn't being filled. Once it is verified by the pharmacist another store can transfer it. This is relatively new, before you had to call the other store and either transfer it on the phone or have them fax it. It was a pain in the ass because most CVS stores take 10 minutes to answer the phone because they are so busy and most of the pharmacists are either ass holes, idiots, or both.

Hello, i am a new technician at cvs, and i have difficulty with learning dropoff,
can anyone help me and tell me how to find the right insurance when i am entering the patient’s insurance informations,also what are the most common insurance rejections and how to solve them?
Thanks

Hello, i am a new technician at cvs, and i have difficulty with learning dropoff,
can anyone help me and tell me how to find the right insurance when i am entering the patient’s insurance informations,also what are the most common insurance rejections and how to solve them?
Thanks

Insurance processing is very regionalized. Different parts of the country have different plans. And each plan has it's own little idiosyncrasies. And then after that, each company has its own software. You are best off asking a coworker about this.

I'll give you an example. One of the local medicaid processors is Keystone Mercy. When you input their info into CVS' system, putting a person code in makes the claim reject. You have to leave it blank. This is just something you have to know. And only the people in the Philly region know this. And the Philly region is the only place where this info is relevant.

Consider that there are thousands and thousands of plans out there and you can see how little learning off of someone on the internet a thousand miles away can be helpful.

Last edited:
The problem is that i work in a busy store and my coworkers are busy all the time,so it is alwayes hard to ask questions and get the answers right away.
But thank you so much for your reply.

Is it okay for the pharmacist to criticize the tech for making mistakes

Hi, I’m a new at cvs and my store is really busy I’m just having hard time when I get a phone call and the person on the phone asks if I can make a refill on one of their med. I can can go on their profile but I can’t tell if the prescription they want has refills can you please help

Hi, I’m a new at cvs and my store is really busy I’m just having hard time when I get a phone call and the person on the phone asks if I can make a refill on one of their med. I can can go on their profile but I can’t tell if the prescription they want has refills can you please help

It's really easy. Just go to their profile and look for the medication. If there is a refill all you have to do is find the medication and select it and it will prompt you to a screen where you see the details of the medication(name, strength, day supply, quantity) and you have to wait for the pharmacist to review the refill. Sometime patients do not understand that their prescription expired and you have to tell them to contact the doctor and send a new prescription over. I do not enjoy calling the doctor office since they never get back to you so I like the patient to call so we can get a response. I use to do all this work for my specialty pharmacy. Also for refills if you see 0 refills then that means you cannot fill it. Did you have your drop off or production training yet? I totally understand working at a busy store and a pharmacist can't teach you. Find someone like a tech who can explain things to you.

Is it okay for the pharmacist to criticize the tech for making mistakes

No pharmacist should be teaching. My pharmacist is so nice. If they are then they shouldn't be a preceptor and you should transfer out. A pharmacist is not suppose to kick someone when they are down especially for making a mistake.

It's really easy. Just go to their profile and look for the medication. If there is a refill all you have to do is find the medication and select it and it will prompt you to a screen where you see the details of the medication(name, strength, day supply, quantity) and you have to wait for the pharmacist to review the refill. Sometime patients do not understand that their prescription expired and you have to tell them to contact the doctor and send a new prescription over. I do not enjoy calling the doctor office since they never get back to you so I like the patient to call so we can get a response. I use to do all this work for my specialty pharmacy. Also for refills if you see 0 refills then that means you cannot fill it. Did you have your drop off or production training yet? I totally understand working at a busy store and a pharmacist can't teach you. Find someone like a tech who can explain things to you.
[/QUOTE
No pharmacist should be teaching. My pharmacist is so nice. If they are then they shouldn't be a preceptor and you should transfer out. A pharmacist is not suppose to kick someone when they are down especially for making a mistake.
Thank you for your response . I was told by the pharmacy teams whenever she criticizes me for anything not to try to explain my self just say okay. I’ve been stressed out so much.

I didn’t get full or actual training for any station yet . I work on each station
thank you for answering my question. I been training for pickup and production. We don’t have a trainer in our store so I ask questions to other tech

I didn’t get full or actual training for any station yet . I work on each station

thank you for answering my question. I been training for pickup and production. We don’t have a trainer in our store so I ask questions to other tech.