CVS to offer $2 generics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard through the grapevine that CVS will soon be offering certain generics for $2 plus a 10% discount in the store.

If this is true CVS climbs to the top of the crap heap of retail pharmacy as being the absolute worst. I did not think it could get any worse than Wal-Mart...Way to go CVS for finding a way to further devalue the profession...One step closer to asking if they want fries with that prescription.....

$4.00 genrics...now $2.00.......Whats next?....Give everything away for free, prostitiuting the pharmacists on the corner to make an extra buck?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats next?

Getting rid of pharmacists in retail pharmacies in lieu of people with two year associates degrees. Yay, capitalism!

That's why I'm at a hospital stuck in a part of the country that's still 20 years behind. In 20 years I'll still have what you have now no matter what happens with the fancy cutting edge types.

Getting rid of pharmacists in retail pharmacies in lieu of people with two year associates degrees. Yay, capitalism!

That's why I'm at a hospital stuck in a part of the country that's still 20 years behind. In 20 years I'll still have what you have now no matter what happens with the fancy cutting edge types.

I know you don't want to admit it... but you're sounding like me more and more everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...so by your logic, higher prescription price = higher valued profession?

Most of my old pt's were paying ZERO w/ tax-payer paid insurance/assistance.

Business as usual, IMO. Kind of like 8 minute abs...I'm telling you, it'll be 2 minute abs soon.

I don't know....I like retail for what it could be. Everyday it gets farther and farther away. I wonder when its time to bail on retail and try something different.

I am quite sure if CVS and Walgreens had their way they would staff their pharmacies with no pharmacists. I am sure this is in there master corporate plans.

Hmm...so by your logic, higher prescription price = higher valued profession?

Most of my old pt's were paying ZERO w/ tax-payer paid insurance/assistance.

Business as usual, IMO. Kind of like 8 minute abs...I'm telling you, it'll be 2 minute abs soon.

Dude if I have to explain it to you than you wouldn't get it....

I still think that the #1 problem in retail today are Drive-Thru windows. At least $2 generics are helping some people in addition to bastardizing the profession.

I am quite sure if CVS and Walgreens had their way they would staff their pharmacies with no pharmacists. I am sure this is in there master corporate plans.

That IS their master plan. They kinda sorta freely admit it in a roundabout way. They've all kinda pushed the idea around of a "supertechnician" that can do a final check.

That IS their master plan. They kinda sorta freely admit it in a roundabout way. They've all kinda pushed the idea around of a "supertechnician" that can do a final check.

We are one regulation away from having retail pharmacy profession go to chits.. and that's exactly it... supertechs in the pharmacy supervised by 1 remote pharmacist. It won't affect inpatient much...but if retail is all you know how to do... good luck.

I have seen the new Walgreens program called 'POWER' - Yeah - the pharmacist doesn't 'HAVE' to do the final check anymore... the system is so accurate - its error rate is lower without the error-prone humans looking at the drug after the technician uses the 'RIDCULOUSLY SIMILAR TO FINAL VERIFICATION' screen w/ scale support...

It may be an awesome improvement for retail pharmacy - but the implications may be further reaching than what is currently being let on.

~above~

Dude if I have to explain it to you than you wouldn't get it....

I'm just saying, lots of people already pay $0 and the list of $2 generics would be so limited. I don't believe in the "oh no the sky is falling generics are $2" thing.

If anything, it drives pt's to your store and let's those on the financial brink be more compliant w/ their cheap maintenance meds. Plus, since tech hours are by set by script count, maybe you can hire a few more techs/clerks.

I just don't like the notion that discounted anything devalues the person behind it. It's kind of elitist and ignores how the "other half" lives.

We are one regulation away from having retail pharmacy profession go to chits.. and that's exactly it... supertechs in the pharmacy supervised by 1 remote pharmacist. It won't affect inpatient much...but if retail is all you know how to do... good luck.

Sounds like a sky is falling type of claim to me. Similar to those saying the shortage is over no one will be able to find a job. Remember each state has their own board of pharmacy. The state board of pharmacy is run by pharmacists. Essentially each state would have to change the law and there is no way the state pharmacist association or board would allow this to happen.

If this were to happen don't think for a second hospital pharmacy would be spared. Instead of 20 pharmacists you would have 4 who would be responsible for supervising the "super techs" as you call them. If the laws were to change we are all in trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard through the grapevine that CVS will soon be offering certain generics for $2 plus a 10% discount in the store.

If this is true CVS climbs to the top of the crap heap of retail pharmacy as being the absolute worst. I did not think it could get any worse than Wal-Mart...Way to go CVS for finding a way to further devalue the profession...One step closer to asking if they want fries with that prescription.....

$4.00 genrics...now $2.00.......Whats next?....Give everything away for free, prostitiuting the pharmacists on the corner to make an extra buck?

I doubt it.

1.Pharmacy is 75 percent of CVS's business. CVS is not using pharmacy as a loss leader.

2.If CVS doesnt offer or price match 4 doller RX, why would it do 2?

3. At 2 dollar a prescription even for most generics, you will be operating at a loss. Any independent or pharmacy manager can tell you that. The waste alone in label (30 cents), Vial (20-50 cents), paper, reciept, etc. . . is 2 dollars. Remember. . .we dont reuse bottles, we love to throw away paper, etc.

I can't imagine that stores would risk the liability from having techs verify prescriptions (not to mention the legal hurdles). I think ATM's for pills are going to be pushed through the legislation before any tech will be allowed to QA a script.

I have seen the new Walgreens program called 'POWER' - Yeah - the pharmacist doesn't 'HAVE' to do the final check anymore... the system is so accurate - its error rate is lower without the error-prone humans looking at the drug after the technician uses the 'RIDCULOUSLY SIMILAR TO FINAL VERIFICATION' screen w/ scale support...

It may be an awesome improvement for retail pharmacy - but the implications may be further reaching than what is currently being let on.

~above~

Walgreens and Wal-mart are doing alot of sneeky things. Remote verification for one. Where the slower stores verify scripts for busy stores.

Sounds like a sky is falling type of claim to me. Similar to those saying the shortage is over no one will be able to find a job. Remember each state has their own board of pharmacy. The state board of pharmacy is run by pharmacists. Essentially each state would have to change the law and there is no way the state pharmacist association or board would allow this to happen.

If this were to happen don't think for a second hospital pharmacy would be spared. Instead of 20 pharmacists you would have 4 who would be responsible for supervising the "super techs" as you call them. If the laws were to change we are all in trouble.

Here is the deal... retail corporate don't like pharmacists and would do away with us if they could. Successful Health Systems usually understand the value of pharmacist. And no, I'm not making any claims but I believe it was Wags who wanted to propose the "Supertech" idea and retail is always trying to increase efficiency... more scripts per pharmacist while hospitals are constantly creating different roles for pharmacists.

I can't imagine that stores would risk the liability from having techs verify prescriptions (not to mention the legal hurdles). I think ATM's for pills are going to be pushed through the legislation before any tech will be allowed to QA a script.

Imagine the unimaginable. Because it happens.

CVS, RiteAide, Wags, etc can combine their lobbying efforts to put in a 2 year supertech to manage a pharmacy......in the name of further discounts provided to senior citizens and voters because of a significant reduction in pharmacy salaries due to elimination of licensed RPh... your congressmen will eat that a live...and support it to buy more votes.

Interesting scenario...don't you think?

Here is the deal... retail corporate don't like pharmacists and would do away with us if they could. Successful Health Systems usually understand the value of pharmacist. And no, I'm not making any claims but I believe it was Wags who wanted to propose the "Supertech" idea and retail is always trying to increase efficiency... more scripts per pharmacist while hospitals are constantly creating different roles for pharmacists.

There are far more roles for a pharmacist at the retail level. Medication therapy management, immunizations, patient counseling ect. Retail chains focus on the easy money and thats prescriptions....The more you do the more you make. This has turned us into a bunch of money loving drones who are more than willing to fill, fill, fill as long as I get my paycheck.

A pharmacist has a very limited role at a hospital. There are doctors, phycisian assistants, nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists, physical therapist, nurses and then your pharmacist. Those people know alot about their specific area and the drugs used. Often times they know more than the pharmacist who has to cover the whole hospital. I would guess nation wide 80% of all hospital pharmacists spend the majority of thier time doing tasks sure as order entry, checking cart fill and IV's ect. Thesew are all things that your "super techs" could easily do.

Trust me...if the "super tech" were to ever happen we are all in trouble.....

A pharmacist has a very limited role at a hospital. There are doctors, phycisian assistants, nurse practitioners, respiratory therapists, physical therapist, nurses and then your pharmacist. Those people know alot about their specific area and the drugs used. Often times they know more than the pharmacist who has to cover the whole hospital. I would guess nation wide 80% of all hospital pharmacists spend the majority of thier time doing tasks sure as order entry, checking cart fill and IV's ect. Thesew are all things that your "super techs" could easily do.

Thanks for the lesson in health systems pharmacy practice. I really didn't know.

Thanks for the lesson in health systems pharmacy practice. I really didn't know.

Dude you know thats not what I meant.....I know you are the hospital man.

With all the of the health professionals in a hospital a pharmacist is just one small part...In retail I am the only healthcare professional therefore I have a far greater opportunity to affect my patients lives IF I am allowed to.

My real point was to say that the "super tech" would effect us all not just retail.

You have to look at the scope of healthcare delivery between retail pharmacy vs hospital. Retail pharmacy provides medications to patients who are mostly much more stable than the hospitalized patients where hospital requires a team of healthcare professionals to provide death defying treatments...daily. We are talking about critical care index differences of night and day.

How is this affected by supertech?

Very differently. The level of competency to deliver pharmacy care between retail and hospital can be significantly different where a supertech's competency will not be met with 2 years of education for hospital.

Providing a prescription for amoxicillin vs argatroban titrating protocol for HIT are different. Supertech can do one....but not the other.

Supertech is a hypothetical idea that's real in Retail excutive's minds. Hospital administration doesn't see it as big cost savings.. simple analogy is that you see more PA and NP in community clinic settings dealing with less ill patients but rarely do you see them in a full scope of practice at a hospital setting taking care of critically ill patients. Unless it's rural hospital.

Unless it's rural hospital.

I swear to God...we have a PA, ~ 23 years old (body waaaay to tight to be any older)...on the floor doing rounds. :eek:

And they get to wear the long coats, too. We don't. I was pissed for a few minutes. Then I realized that I get to wear cargo pants and golf shirts to work and stopped caring.

I swear to God...we have a PA, ~ 23 years old (body waaaay to tight to be any older)...on the floor doing rounds. :eek:

And they get to wear the long coats, too. We don't. I was pissed for a few minutes. Then I realized that I get to wear cargo pants and golf shirts to work and stopped caring.

aren't you in semi rural area? I mean...yeah you'll see PA and NP everywhere even in big cities... but they comprise of a very small percentage of providers.

Well run to the federal government or military and get employed, unmatched job security.

aren't you in semi rural area? I mean...yeah you'll see PA and NP everywhere even in big cities... but they comprise of a very small percentage of providers.

Yeah, the county is rather rural. It's sandwiched in between two rather urban counties, however. You can be in Pittsburgh in an hour...it's a tweener community.

I gave this mid-level pharmacist...or super tech some thought. It could be the best opportunity to bring back independents.

Me..as a retail pharmacy owner can own multiple retail pharmacy outlets employing strictly super techs to dispense while contracting with a central mail order facility to handle refills. Now, not having to employ registered pharmacists at $120,000 per year, the salary overhead can be significantly reduced thereby increasing a chance at competing with retails giants. Of course chains will do the same but I would think it makes it more feasible for independents to survive.

Despite ever decreasing reimbursement, if you can make it up with volume while not having to pay 2 to 3 FTE pharmacist salary but 30 to 40% to Supertechs, I really believe it can work.

How long can this fad of patients flocking to to Wags and CVS last? Can independently owned retail pharmacy provide additional service that can draw more patients. I think so.

Tell me 10 reasons why it can't work....I will tell you 1 reason why it has to. Because we have to take our profession back. It's time. Let Wags pass Supertech idea... it will be the beginning to an end for giant chain pharmacies.

Almost all of the top management at CVS are pharmacists and while I am not privy to what goes on Rhode Island until it filters down to me at the store level, it's not the culture of CVS to push for something like this....

$2 generic or super tech?

Supertech.

I think they are really trying to resist the low $$ generic thing, which by the way, there is no evidence except for the rabid rantings of MountainPharmD who can't resist bashing CVS like a dog that can't help pissing on a fire hydrant.

They have really been hurt in the Philadelphia market (and I sssume nationwide) by Walmart's $4.00 generic program. We are loosing scripts daily. I fear they may break down on this one, though I certainly hope not....

It's pretty funny to see you all complaining about supertechs. Welcome to the world of midlevels who'll cut you out from underneath! We have our NP/PA/DNP's, and soon you'll have your supertechs with an associates degree doing final verification.

Do all you can to resist, but methinks it's way too late.

Supertech.

I think they are really trying to resist the low $$ generic thing, which by the way, there is no evidence except for the rabid rantings of MountainPharmD who can't resist bashing CVS like a dog that can't help pissing on a fire hydrant.

They have really been hurt in the Philadelphia market (and I sssume nationwide) by Walmart's $4.00 generic program. We are loosing scripts daily. I fear they may break down on this one, though I certainly hope not....

CVS execs may not be thinking supertech but I wonder if it will make the shareholders happy with an increased EBITDA with a lower overhead in salaries?

It's pretty funny to see you all complaining about supertechs. Welcome to the world of midlevels who'll cut you out from underneath! We have our NP/PA/DNP's, and soon you'll have your supertechs with an associates degree doing final verification.

Do all you can to resist, but methinks it's way too late.

youthinks wrong...who's complaining? Difference between complaining and douting. Bookmark this and come back if supertechs happen and mock me. You could be waiting for a life time.

I welcome the day of supertechs! I don't think it will happen...but if it did, it will be a good day. Some enterprising physicians are utilizing midlevels to increase business. Some see opportunities and some don't.

Hmmm the way the military and California (purportedly) use Super Techs, it's a great idea. To double check the pill, str, count, etc, things ultimately able to be done by a robot, faster, cheaper and better. Pharmacist don't need to be the one doing the final check, especially on refills. They should be involved in evaluation of the drug upon entry and to meet with patients/customers/person paying (don't want to offend any lurkers that might get ruffled feathers yelling about our nonpatients).

That being said, are $4 generics a loss leader? I've heard yes and no on this, due to Wal Mart's volume purchasing, that skews the number, but for other stores are they able to break even on them? I know the couple of places I worked at over the summon couldn't break even on all of them, but these are small/fading pharmacies.

Lol...I invented a word..."supertech"...hahaha.

no dood... we've been using the term supertech from the beginning... we were using it in 1991... and I'm sure some old farts like old timer was using the word even befor I was born...

So how many retail pharmacists do you think would just take the pay cut and become a "supertech" with a PharmD? I know of more than one person who couldn't handle anything that isn't retail. I fear for them, honestly. I hope they don't get dinosaured.

You're just bitter.

Back when I was 17, I thought I invent existentialism until I got internet access and realized that some walleyed French ******* name Jean-Paul Sarte came up with all of my ideas about 50 years before I was born. I am bitter about that. If I was born 100 years soon, I'd have been famous...

Back when I was 17, I thought I invent existentialism until I got internet access and realized that some walleyed French ******* name Jean-Paul Sarte came up with all of my ideas about 50 years before I was born. I am bitter about that. If I was born 100 years soon, I'd have been famous...

didn't know your aspiration in life was to be famous.

didn't know your aspiration in life was to be famous.

No...but it would have worked out that way. I think philosophers made more money back then. If I got paid to sit and jot down all of the crazy things that stream from my brain, I'd have written 50 rambling, nonsensical books by now.

No...but it would have worked out that way. I think philosophers made more money back then. If I got paid to sit and jot down all of the crazy things that stream from my brain, I'd have written 50 rambling, nonsensical books by now.

Which in 500 years could become the new Nostradames books.

Hell yes, let's do it.

All hail the Sage of Dave and Buster.... and you're first topic... an MMA guy with a CondomDepot.com ad covering his *****. Surely you can wax supreme on that.

There are far more roles for a pharmacist at the retail level. Medication therapy management, immunizations, patient counseling ect. Retail chains focus on the easy money and thats prescriptions....The more you do the more you make. This has turned us into a bunch of money loving drones who are more than willing to fill, fill, fill as long as I get my paycheck.

You gotta be kidding me! Resp therapist, nurses, PA ...then pharmacist?:laugh:. And boy, if you work in hospital, you better know your drugs inside out. The resp therapist is only responsible for "giving" the breathing treatment for patients with the intervals ordered by MD or Pharm.D. I don't think they even know Atropine increases firing of SA node, conduction through AV node, opposes vagus nerve, blocks acetylcholine receptor sites, decreases bronchiole secretions. Nurses are also one the last people you wanna talk about drug therapy. While some are good, the majority can't even tell the difference between K-dur and Micro-K or SR, XL, for instance.

Certain things "super" tech can't do. Supertech won't be able to tell if a patient has PCN allergy can be on Ancef. Supertech won't be able to answer which level to monitor of Vancomycin for severe sepsis. Or more scenarios like this

Supertech "Pharmacy...how can i help you?"
MD: "My pt allergic to morphine...what can i give?"
Supertech: "Let me look up Dr. (which is dumb already...if it's a pharmacist, it should be a snap)....Oh you can give demerol"
MD: "What is the equivalent dose for Morphine 5mg IM q4h prn pain?"
Supertech: "Let me look up, Dr (dumb again)...."

or

MD: "I have a patient who has Hip surgery...what ABx u recommend for prophylaxis?"
Supertech "Let me look up...(10 mins)....Ancef, dr"
MD" What is the dosing?"
Supertech "let me look up... q8h"
MD: "Wait...my pt is allergic to PCN ...is it okay to give ancef? are they much related?"
Supertech: "....."
MD: "Oh....any alternative?"
Supertech fainting......

Usually everything is going smooth, then it's okay...now if something happens...pt goes to coding, etc...who to blame on? the supertech? The supertech then says, "well...i go to school for 2 yrs...sorry". Now, the congress has to revise and say, "Only pharmacists can do.....".

Kind of offtrack here, but the problem with our profession is that the respect in within ourselves are not even as strong as medicine or dentistry. I had a talk with a friend MD the other day and this is what he said, "You guys know why you guys are not called Dr?" I asked, " cuz we are not doctors of medicine". He smiled, and said, "NO...it's because you guys don't even call each other "Dr"...how can u expect others to ?" Good point.
$2 generic? Our profession will never grow with this kind of attitude and the level of respect from public will be down the toilet....very very soon. *Sighs*

Last edited:
That being said, are $4 generics a loss leader? I've heard yes and no on this, due to Wal Mart's volume purchasing, that skews the number, but for other stores are they able to break even on them? I know the couple of places I worked at over the summon couldn't break even on all of them, but these are small/fading pharmacies.

The many meds that are on that plan are less than $1 for a bottle of 100. If you buy the larger bottles (500, 1000) then you are getting an even better price. You're not losing money unless you are overstaffed.