CVS vacation payout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvsrph32013

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After 2 years being a PIC with CVS I am finally getting out! I have one question and am not sure if anyone can answer this. I am an RPh in PA and am wondering if I will get my 84 hours vacation for this year paid out? I know it is early in the year but am hoping this is the case so I won't be getting a bonus, etc. Just bought a house so money is a little tight just for the time being, but excited about the future and being gone from CVS!

Members don't see this ad.

Payout for unused vacation time from previous year comes sometime in Feb-April. I feel like every year it was different timing.

Payout for what they owe you after termination of employment came to me 2-3 months after official 'end' date. That ended up being 6+ months after my last shift because I was kicked out of the system due to inactivity.

But... do you think they would payout 84 weeks vacation I have yet to use since it hasn't been a full calendar year?

Members don't see this ad :)
But... do you think they would payout 84 weeks vacation I have yet to use since it hasn't been a full calendar year?

84 weeks of vacation would be really nice...

On topic though, you accrue vacation with each pay cycle so they would pay out the difference between what you used and what you accumulated.

So the answer to your question is, you will be paid for any unused vacation from 2016 sometime in February of 2017. For 2017, you earn your vacation as you go. While you are permitted to take the hours ahead of accruing them, you do will not get paid the 84 hours for the full year. So if you give notice now and leave at the end of January and assuming you have used no vacation in 2017, you will be paid 7 hours of vacation.

So the answer to your question is, you will be paid for any unused vacation from 2016 sometime in February of 2017. For 2017, you earn your vacation as you go. While you are permitted to take the hours ahead of accruing them, you do will not get paid the 84 hours for the full year. So if you give notice now and leave at the end of January and assuming you have used no vacation in 2017, you will be paid 7 hours of vacation.

So let's say you decide to quit at the end of March and you took 3 weeks off in Feb. Since you have not earned all of these vacation days, what would happen?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So let's say you decide to quit at the end of March and you took 3 weeks off in Feb. Since you have not earned all of these vacation days, what would happen?

Don't know for sure, but I would assume they would deduct from your last pay

Reactions: 1 user
No, they just write it off. You can screw them over on that if you want to. If it was done really egregiously they might make you ineligible for rehire.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't know for sure, but I would assume they would deduct from your last pay

You can't do that in California, at least.

So I have been hearing...if you don't give CVS 2 week notice then you are not eligible to be rehired. But CVS reserved the right to terminate your employment on the day you tell them you are planning to resign.

I don't know anyone who do not regret working for CVS. Most will leave within 2-3 years. When you are looking for a new job, you just have to say, "I am working for CVS and I am looking for a new job" and everybody would understand what you are saying. Sad but true.

Reactions: 3 users
You can't do that in California, at least.

So I have been hearing...if you don't give CVS 2 week notice then you are not eligible to be rehired. But CVS reserved the right to terminate your employment on the day you tell them you are planning to resign.

Companies don't want you sticking around after they terminate you. There is too much opportunity to sabotage them. Even the RIFs (layoffs) are done in such a way that they don't need to be reported in advance.

84 weeks of vacation would be really nice...

On topic though, you accrue vacation with each pay cycle so they would pay out the difference between what you used and what you accumulated.

You accrue vacation hours? Mine all popped in at once earlier this month. It doesn't even say anything on my paycheck about accruing vacation time.

You accrue vacation hours? Mine all popped in at once earlier this month. It doesn't even say anything on my paycheck about accruing vacation time.

It used to show on our pay stubs as it accrued. But now with these unreadable online pay stubs you need an advanced degree in accounting to even figure out how many hours you got paid for. CVS HR is a joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
u can get the readable paystub from the front store office. they stockpile them and never give to u for some reasons. even after u sign up for direct deposit they still send copies to the front store every 2 weeks.

u can get the readable paystub from the front store office. they stockpile them and never give to u for some reasons. even after u sign up for direct deposit they still send copies to the front store every 2 weeks.

They don't do these anymore. At least not in my area. Every employee must have direct deposit or else they get paid with a visa gift card. No more paper whatsoever.

They don't do these anymore. At least not in my area. Every employee must have direct deposit or else they get paid with a visa gift card. No more paper whatsoever.

You an have them mail you a copy of the check. I agree the HR site is something best viewed on acid. Even then I doubt anyone could understand it. Einstein maybe, or Fermi.

You an have them mail you a copy of the check. I agree the HR site is something best viewed on acid. Even then I doubt anyone could understand it. Einstein maybe, or Fermi.

Any idea how to sign up for a copy of the check by mail?

I should do that before I'm officially done. Last question and not sure if many will know... should I ask Walmart to match my current PIC salary? Going into the same position from a PIC now.

Go to the HR website or call HR

The myHR website had no option for me to request paper stubs. I called HR. Apparently, the state I live in does not require companies to make paper stubs available so I have zero option to receive them. Their solution if I need paper records was to print out the unreadable garbage they put on the myHR website.

I should do that before I'm officially done. Last question and not sure if many will know... should I ask Walmart to match my current PIC salary? Going into the same position from a PIC now.
YES, especially if going to a PIC position, I would ask for it to be matched as well as vacation time. The worst they can do is say no

I would also ask to get the 401(k) match right away too.

The myHR website had no option for me to request paper stubs. I called HR. Apparently, the state I live in does not require companies to make paper stubs available so I have zero option to receive them. Their solution if I need paper records was to print out the unreadable garbage they put on the myHR website.

That's really stupid, but not surprising. The company is too big. Not what it used to be......

That's really stupid, but not surprising. The company is too big. Not what it used to be......

Yep. After the last 10 years I wasn't even surprised. Just shook my head and hung up the phone.

When I quit they refused to pay out my vacation.

When I quit they refused to pay out my vacation.

Depends on your state. in PA, vacation is an earned benefit that cannot be taken back....

So my last question as I prepare to leave this week. 2 weeks ago, my car broke down on the way to work and needed a tow. I was still able to make it to work but not until about 2:30pm. Looking at my paystub, they took out vacation for this!! Is that even legal?

So my last question as I prepare to leave this week. 2 weeks ago, my car broke down on the way to work and needed a tow. I was still able to make it to work but not until about 2:30pm. Looking at my paystub, they took out vacation for this!! Is that even legal?

Depends on your state law. Probably not. But what lawyer is going to take a case for 6 hours of Pharmacist pay......

You should have just said you were sick, the 'unlimited' sick time is an awesome benefit at CVS.

FWIW, I never heard of anything like this happening and seems almost certainly against company policy, assuming you are salaried. Maybe call MyHR?

To be fair they shouldn't really have to pay if you aren't there so they could either subtract the hours or just take it out of your vacation. Maybe by taking it out of vacation time they are trying to keep your pay stub at 40 hours since you are full time? Maybe they want your pay stub at 40 for benefits or something in which case they may be doing you a favor. If you were only like an hour or two late I'm surprised they would even bother adjusting it in the first place, then again people are getting written up for using an extra 2 tech hours so who honestly knows with this company.

What is the paid time off accrual rate for cvs pharmacists?

You should have just said you were sick, the 'unlimited' sick time is an awesome benefit at CVS.

FWIW, I never heard of anything like this happening and seems almost certainly against company policy, assuming you are salaried. Maybe call MyHR?
That's bs. I work at cvs. I am salaried and no sick time. We have to use pto on sick days.

That's bs. I work at cvs. I am salaried and no sick time. We have to use pto on sick days.

The times, they are a'changing.

But seriously. That post is like two years old. At the time CVS did not require pharmacists to use PTO for sick days. I have literally no idea when that changed since I left them since then. :)

I don't know if the Retail side has the same or different policy than the PBM side, but for PBM, PTO covers both Vacation and Sick time. It is used for both and up to the employee to manage their time to cover themselves.

This is not true in my neck of the woods. Can you elaborate?

There is no sick time. When you apply for a sick day it deducts from PTO. Maybe you never noticed, but that is indeed the case and I believe has been for a while. I am a corporate employee though but i doubt its different for retail employees. We follow the same ****ty retail rules that are unheard of in a corporate environment. 90 days to start insurance, no sick days, no day off on black friday, etc.

There is no sick time. When you apply for a sick day it deducts from PTO. Maybe you never noticed, but that is indeed the case and I believe has been for a while. I am a corporate employee though but i doubt its different for retail employees. We follow the same ****ty retail rules that are unheard of in a corporate environment. 90 days to start insurance, no sick days, no day off on black friday, etc.
I guess sick time is different in retail. There’s 30 hours a year available for sick time.

I had to use sick time for the first time ever last week....my DL gave me 4 days worth (equaled to 36 hours). I can't complain. I'm someone who never gets sick so I'm just thankful I didn't have to use vacation.

Thanks
I guess sick time is different in retail. There’s 30 hours a year available for sick time.
That's still not great. Most non retail companies give unlimited.