CVS vs Walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snickersbar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the long run, do you feel it is more beneficial to be working for CVS or Walgreens? What are the pros and cons of each?

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if there are any people who worked at both. To me they seem mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:

I have worked at one and done an unpaid rotation at the other. They are overall very similiar. Mostly have the same environment/outcome with slightly different ways to get to the final goal of patient out the door.

There are much greater differences to grocery store pharmacy compared to Walgreens or CVS, at least in my area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many threads are titled just like this? I bet in the last few years there are a 100. I suppose if someone did a search before posting they would know.

I recommend we place all these threads in the same sticky so they would be easy to find and people would stop asking "Which is better Walgreens, CVS or getting run over by a tank." Hmmm.... I am thinking....

It's like asking which eye do you want poked...left or right.

today is not equivalent to yesterday, *******es.

Guess what??? Neither one perhaps is the best employer for some...but you won't be the best employer for either if you use name calling...particularly when you don't know who you're referring to.

Go do a search on this topic before you come back for more information. Then...try using the information availability on previous posts on a particular poster before you start insulting posters who have significant experience in the field.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you're new....but, you've just pissed off 2 very experienced pharmacists. Back off & be nice!

ps - I agree on the comment - both eyes hurt just to think about either!!!

4018c2859f7e6a86f8df1c25ee18dcf7.gif

That post was completely irrelevant! Try staying within the thread, and not in outer space, and you might get positive feedback ;)

The more i read your posts the funnier (is this a word?) they get. That was good!:laugh: Anyway, Name calling if uncalled for in this forum. You just called 2 potential future preceptors *******es? Why? Anyway, Snickerbars, do a search and stop name calling!

Having lived a few different places - I believe that Walgreens is more spread throughout the country than CVS if you ever want to transfer to a different location. At least that's what I've gathered from finding pharmacies.

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh: I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything just then.

So, do you guys think that PharmDs should be called Dr? I did a search for a thread about it, but I couldn't find anything:confused:

So, do you guys think that PharmDs should be called Dr? I did a search for a thread about it, but I couldn't find anything:confused:

Great and refreshing topic. And intereting. I really will have to give it some thought. Not sure why it hasn't been discussed before.

You did a search concerning this topic and found nothing? I think someone needs remedial search function training. Its a tie as to the most posted thread topic, CVS/Walgreens/hit in the head with a hammer, which is better and should PharmD's be called Dr.....:sleep::sleep::sleep:

You really did a search and found nothing? Were you typing in English? Just trying to help.

You did a search concerning this topic and found nothing? I think someone needs remedial search function training. Its a tie as to the most posted thread topic, CVS/Walgreens/hit in the head with a hammer, which is better and should PharmD's be called Dr.....:sleep::sleep::sleep:

You really did a search and found nothing? Were you typing in English? Just trying to help.

Spacecowgirl has been here forever. I guess you missed the sarcasm in her post.

I wonder how many threads are titled just like this? I bet in the last few years there are a 100. I suppose if someone did a search before posting they would know.

I recommend we place all these threads in the same sticky so they would be easy to find and people would stop asking "Which is better Walgreens, CVS or getting run over by a tank." Hmmm.... I am thinking....

Speaking from experience..? ;)

You did a search concerning this topic and found nothing? I think someone needs remedial search function training.

Judging by my post count and join date, you need some remedial sarcasm training.

Judging by my post count and join date, you need some remedial sarcasm training.

You know its hard to pick up on sarcasm when you are reading something. I am usally pretty good at but I guess I missed that one. Hey, Z-pack just informed me there are dates on the threads! I guess I need to get up tp speed on how things work around here.:cool:

My apologies and I will review my book "How to detect sarecasm in an online forums". The mistake will not happen again.:thumbup:

You know its hard to pick up on sarcasm when you are reading something. I am usally pretty good at but I guess I missed that one. Hey, Z-pack just informed me there are dates on the threads! I guess I need to get up tp speed on how things work around here.:cool:

My apologies and I will review my book "How to detect sarecasm in an online forums". The mistake will not happen again.:thumbup:

You is just slow.. that all.

I know my pharmacists at my Walgreens were salaried so overtime wouldn't matter?

I know my pharmacists at my Walgreens were salaried so overtime wouldn't matter?

It does matter. Full-time pharmacists at Wags are salaried for 80 hours per pay period. Anything over that is time and a half.

I guess that is per week so why would walgreen go over that unless it is a necessity?

I guess that is per week so why would walgreen go over that unless it is a necessity?

I don't understand your question here.

I will say it again:

Fulltime wags pharmacists are salaried for 80 hours per pay period (two weeks). If they choose to work more than that picking up extra shifts, they do get paid overtime, time and a half, on all those hours over 80 per pay perioed (two weeks).

Are we on the same page now?

My question was that why would walgreens want to give extra hours when it costs them $$$$? I think that was plain enough..

It is like I could get overtime if I worked more than 40 hours a week at Walgreens but my managers made sure that I didn't [christmas maybe..]. You could get in trouble if I remember it correctly..

My question was that why would walgreens want to give extra hours when it costs them $$$$? I think that was plain enough..

It is like I could get overtime if I worked more than 40 hours a week at Walgreens but my managers made sure that I didn't [christmas maybe..]. You could get in trouble if I remember it correctly..

When I look at my schedule, it also lists all the sites available in the state of Florida for extra shifts. There's not enough pharmacists to cover all the shifts, so they pay time and a half if you pick up one of these shifts. You also get extra pay for working holidays, or an extra day off that doesn't count towards vacations. I already signed up for Christmas.

I will say it again:

Fulltime wags pharmacists are salaried for 80 hours per pay period (two weeks). If they choose to work more than that picking up extra shifts, they do get paid overtime, time and a half, on all those hours over 80 per pay perioed (two weeks).

I am lost.....What page are we on?

I will say it again:

What are you trying to say....what page are you on now?? :smuggrin:

While working as a pharmacy tech in southern florida (for walgreens), several of the pharmacists had previously worked for CVS. All concluded they liked walgreens better, though i guess its kinda of a bias crowd (afterall if they had liked CVS better they wouldn't be working at walgreens). Even the store manager had worked briefly for CVS after they bought out Eckerds and had quit shortly after the change over due his percieved mismangement by CVS.