CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmerOfAmerica

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is CVS as bad as they truly say? I just interviewed as a Technician and everyone has been telling me I made a mistake of a lifetime.
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Some are happy. Most are not. Those that are happy, or tolerate it, have a good sup and management team. Those that don't , don't. Many other reasons that one does or does not like CVS.

Sounds like you're new. For a any new person I always recommend to get out what you can, especially experience. Never be afraid to treat it like a stepping stone though. After six months or so, or once you've gotten good at what is necessary for your job, look for opportunities to build on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't unemployment pay similar to a CVS tech. I'd pick unemployment even if the checks were less than CVS. The b*tchiest pharmacist I ever met was CVS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I would really like to know about the system of CVS. Not necessarily about the employees, because I am VERY easy to get along with.

I worked front store cashier at CVS for over a year, and I've been a tech there for over 4 months. The system, RXConnect is easy enough to use once you figure it out. The register is also easy to figure out.
1. If this is your first tech job, just remember to TAKE NOTES. There's some things yo have to know that aren't really covered on the PTCB.
2. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Your crew would be happy to answer a question than you make a mistake. I've read on here that the rule of thumb is you shouldn't have to ask about something more than three times SO TAKE NOTES.
3. As everyone has mentioned, having a cranky, overwhelmed, or unhappy pharmacist can really make the job unattractive. I got lucky to have awesome techs and stellar pharmacist, and everyone is always happy.
4. On the same lines as #3, be super nice to everyone. Tech, Pharmacist, Patients, Front Store cashiers, EVERYONE. While you may feel like a bumbling idiot at first, these people are willing to help you along your way. Once you've learned the ropes a bit, you can form great relationships with all of them.
5. Work quickly, but never rush.
6. Listen to Feedback.
7. Overall, CVS has a good setup. Just to give you your bearings: The pharmacy will be organized in a few "bays" (shelve units) in alphabetical order. Generic name levothyroxine, and if you're looking for the Brand stock bottle, it will be under S for Synthroid (one of a few brand names). Also, since you're just starting, they'll probably have you at pickup (where patient's pick up their meds), and drive thru if your store has one like mine. Then, you might move to production (filling prescriptions) or drop off (typing and receiving prescriptions).
8. "Thank you for calling CVS Pharmacy this is ____ how can I help you?"
9. If you have any questions on how to do something or how to react to a situation, message me. Good Luck.

Three times?! Once. I hate repeating myself and if I have to explain things to you three times I would be looking for a replacement.

Reactions: 1 users
Three times?! Once. I hate repeating myself and if I have to explain things to you three times I would be looking for a replacement.
Three might be a bit much, but working in a pharmacy is a unique experience, where there's no way to prepare yourself for it. Often times, when a question is asked, there's a line of people waiting at the pickup and dropoff, so the answer isn't internalized as much as it should be. Being a tech isn't easy at first, and it's nice to have people who are willing to build you up, not look for your replacement.

I worked front store cashier at CVS for over a year, and I've been a tech there for over 4 months. The system, RXConnect is easy enough to use once you figure it out. The register is also easy to figure out.
1. If this is your first tech job, just remember to TAKE NOTES. There's some things yo have to know that aren't really covered on the PTCB.
2. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Your crew would be happy to answer a question than you make a mistake. I've read on here that the rule of thumb is you shouldn't have to ask about something more than three times SO TAKE NOTES.
3. As everyone has mentioned, having a cranky, overwhelmed, or unhappy pharmacist can really make the job unattractive. I got lucky to have awesome techs and stellar pharmacist, and everyone is always happy.
4. On the same lines as #3, be super nice to everyone. Tech, Pharmacist, Patients, Front Store cashiers, EVERYONE. While you may feel like a bumbling idiot at first, these people are willing to help you along your way. Once you've learned the ropes a bit, you can form great relationships with all of them.
5. Work quickly, but never rush.
6. Listen to Feedback.
7. Overall, CVS has a good setup. Just to give you your bearings: The pharmacy will be organized in a few "bays" (shelve units) in alphabetical order. Generic name levothyroxine, and if you're looking for the Brand stock bottle, it will be under S for Synthroid (one of a few brand names). Also, since you're just starting, they'll probably have you at pickup (where patient's pick up their meds), and drive thru if your store has one like mine. Then, you might move to production (filling prescriptions) or drop off (typing and receiving prescriptions).
8. "Thank you for calling CVS Pharmacy this is ____ how can I help you?"
9. If you have any questions on how to do something or how to react to a situation, message me. Good Luck.
Thank you for all the tips! By the way I LOVE ANIMALS AS LEADERS.

Thank you for all the tips! By the way I LOVE ANIMALS AS LEADERS.
My favorite band. I've had the new album on repeat over the last few weeks. You're the first person in this pharmacy world that's ever even heard of them. Let me know if you have any questions.

Three might be a bit much, but working in a pharmacy is a unique experience, where there's no way to prepare yourself for it. Often times, when a question is asked, there's a line of people waiting at the pickup and dropoff, so the answer isn't internalized as much as it should be. Being a tech isn't easy at first, and it's nice to have people who are willing to build you up, not look for your replacement.
All right smarty pants, just you wait until you have techs that need to have stuff explained to them three times, then come back and tell me how I need to focus on building people up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Is CVS as bad as they truly say? I just interviewed as a Technician and everyone has been telling me I made a mistake of a lifetime.
Thoughts?

Call any Target pharmacy and ask them how many people left since CVS took over if you want a real answer.

Also, any Chimp Spanner fans?