CWRU rejection -- will I get more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalapp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a rejection from CWRU recently. So far, though, I didn't receive an interview to any other schools I applied to.

Stats:
GPA: 3.0
Science: 2.9
DAT/PAT: 20/18 ( got a horrible 16 on bio, though )
Notes: 4 W's, 1 D in sciences. Also, one semester of academic probation but the difficulty of my courseload is high.
Recs: Not sure but I expect them to be below average
Quality of Undergrad School: Nationally well-known and respected
( what a waste of money this is )

I applied to seven dental schools across the country, which includes Columbia, Penn, NYU, Detroit, USC, and Pitt.

CWRU is statistically "easier" to get in than most other dental schools. The common belief is that you will get rejected everywhere else if you get rejected by a lower ranking schools.

So should I write the year off and assume I won't get in anywhere?

I know that there are some who would rather feel elated by my news and there would be some that feel sympathy to my cause. But I'd like to know your impartial thoughts to this, if you have any and are willing to share.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't assume anything. It's not over until you get all your letters. Besides, you never know if you'll get interviews to the other schools. Just take it day by day. Maybe you can take a year doing graduate courses to improve your gpa. Just a suggestion. I hope you do get an interview because I certainly know how it is to take a year off. Good luck.

AE

I think you should definitely redo another year to improve your gpa. Take science courses and do well so you can show them you are capable of handling the rigors of the dental curriculum. Getting invited for an interview is all about gpa and DATs. That's what all the students tell me when I go for an interview. If you have good scores the interview is a formality according to them.

Good luck: don't give up if this is really what you want to do!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your DAT/PAT are good. Your GPA's are reasonable. 1 D is survivable (especially since you got a good DAT). The 4 W's are troublesome unless they occurred early in your academic endeavors or were taken because you faced an emergency such as surgery.

I get a sense that competition for spots this year and next will be tougher than recent years due to the economic situation. However, stay the course. There is a lot of movement in January and February when those who are accepted on Dec 1 must put down money to hold their spots. A good number of those folks get more than one acceptance and must "fish or cut bait."

dentalapp

I definitely would not write off this year. I really think you will get interviews. I am actually surprised you didn't get an interview at Case. Here are my stats

Stats:
GPA: 3.0
Science: 2.8
DAT/PAT: 17/17
Notes: More than 4 W's, Also 1 D in sciences.

Your stats are better than mine and I have 4 interviews. In my opinion you will get interviews! Good luck.

Take care.
EcoRI

Originally posted by dentalapp
I received a rejection from CWRU recently. So far, though, I didn't receive an interview to any other schools I applied to.

\CWRU is statistically "easier" to get in than most other dental schools. The common belief is that you will get rejected everywhere else if you get rejected by a lower ranking schools.

So should I write the year off and assume I won't get in anywhere?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by EcoRI
dentalapp

I definitely would not write off this year. I really think you will get interviews.

Of course not! He's not a minority.

slave 4MD's jokes!!!

you forgot female and a minority!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

slave4MD
I don't get it? I'm not a minority.

dentalapp,
You'll get interviews!

I should have wrote:

Of course not! He's not a minority or a female. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let's assume he actually got the remote interviews. It will still be impossible for him because he doesn't talk and the other interviewees are likely to have stronger credentials.

Sorry bud. Quoting my old comp. sci. profs from Berkeley, " Everyone can't be doctors ( dentists are not doctors but the two can be interchanged in this context). We need ****** ( pimp in this lad's case) and ditchdiggers in this world."

ecori,
slave4md aka ranman aka ddsforme....notice how they all joined at the same time and all talk to each other...there are some people on this site w/multiple personalities :rolleyes: lets just all ignore him :clap:

Originally posted by vixen
ecori,
slave4md aka ranman aka ddsforme....notice how they all joined at the same time and all talk to each other...there are some people on this site w/multiple personalities :rolleyes: lets just all ignore him :clap:

Dear Vixen,

I am so sorry, honey. But you have to understand that I am not ranman or ddsforme.

I didn't think the kid is going to get interviews. If he did, I think he's going to get rejected anyway. That was my honest opinion, dear and I'm sure most people prefer honesty to deceit.

:love:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Originally posted by slave4MD
Dear Vixen,

I am so sorry, honey. But you have to understand that I am not ranman or ddsforme.

I didn't think the kid is going to get interviews. If he did, I think he's going to get rejected anyway. That was my honest opinion, dear and I'm sure most people prefer honesty to deceit.

Yes, most people do prefer honesty, but there's a fine line between honesty and putting others down. I personally don't like you slave4MD. By the way, I don't think anyone appreciates being called kid, honey, or dear.

Members don't see this ad :)
slave4md
what's your point about minorities and females?

He means that schools tend to favor minorities and females in order to meet a certain quota.

Hey Vixen,

I thought you decided to go into teaching, which is great, so why r u still hanging around in the pre-dental forum?

I don't understand slavemds point either?
can you elaborate??

damn people, slave4md/ranman are the same person...and a troll at that...dont listen to them....saying **** like its easier for females and minorities to get into school :rolleyes:

ranman/slave4md, im here cause im still gonna go to my interview for the hell of it, keep my options open just in case...got a problem w/that? :D

Chill Vixen - why r u so pissed at me? I swear I'm not slave4MD, I just enjoy his replies and his at times harsh realistic view. The reason he bothers you so much is because you know there is some truth to what he's saying. I've been viewing this board for awhile and enjoy the comments, but at times people seem to be a little too nice and idealistic. That Desidentist is the biggest geek on the planet.:cool:

he annoys me cause he's a jackass....he doesnt know **** about me....now enough of this :)

Vixen,

Forgive me if I sounded so rash. Like I said before, I really am sorry and I wouldn't have made those comments if I knew beforehand that a lady like you would have been offended.

Once more, I apologize and please be assured that none of what I said in my posts applies to you.

As for posts to this one, I was specifically referring to dentalapp. There is no reason for you to feel insulted. In fact, not even dentalapp should be insulted.

Dentalapp wanted to know verbatim on honest possibilities for him. I'll tell him my estimated mileage:

CWRU: No interview, which we know
Columbia: Hell no
Penn: Never
NYU: Maybe an interview ( just maybe ) but it'll be impossible for him to get accepted
Pitt: Again maybe an interview but he won't make it far
Detroit: No interview
USC: No interview

Sorry.

Hey guys, what should I do?

Should I apply to Howard and Meharry? Is it too late to apply there?

Stop asking stupid questions you know the answers to. Not thate I'm complimenting dentistry, but this really isn;t for everyone. If your 4 Ws were from full courses that would be like dropping out of school and this poor academic ability does not prepare you for even pharmacy. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Slave For MD:

What do you think of my chances are getting into dental schools?

I have:

12 Ds
8 Fs
5 Ws

Undergraduate cumulative GPA = 2.73 on AADSAS
Undergraduate science GPA = 2.4
(these are real stats)

Oh wait, hold on, oh ****, I'm already in dental school after applied only once and am getting awesome grades as a D1 (maybe even top 10 of my class of 99) and elected President by my colleagues and am praised by OMS/MD program directors around the country for my interest in that specialty.

The point here is, you're not an admissions coordinator or committee to those dental schools that Dentalapp is applying to, if you don't have something productive or positive to say, then please don't say it all! Who are you to say that Dentalapp will not get in?

Let me tell you some stories, I have Ivy Leaque graduates from schools such as UPenn and Columbia as classmates and you know what, their undergraduate numbers were AMAZING!!! Now in dental school, they study their @sses off, but they just can't seem to earn as high grades as me who got in with a 2.7 cumulative GPA! I have people like you for breakfast!

The schools (Nova, Temple, and NYU) that I was accepted by for 2002, there were hundreds on the wait list that had higher numbers than I did! Admissions committee looks for certain things ESPECIALLY maturity and professionalism! Haven't you heard stories that applicants get turned down/denied even with outstanding numbers?

Applicants with low GPAs or DAT does not equal inferior people than you, maybe they decided to have a life and partied their @sses off instead of studying none stop to get numbers! If you have high marks and numbers, you should use that to help and encourage others and not to condescend those that has less than you.

You say that you want to do OMS/MD, well, you know what, you're lucky that I don't know your full name, if I did, I would contact the 7 OMS/MD directors around the country that I keep in contact with today and notify them of your poor @ss attitude and the lack of respect for others. Better yet, maybe I should contact all the dental school admissions coordinators/directors to those schools that you're applying to and have them come on this fourm and read your posts! Slave for MD, pssssss, you might as well be slave for McDs.

SDN is a mean for positive sources and sharing experiences. It is not a place for competition or to see how many people's feelings that you can hurt.

I hope to see you encourage others and lead by example.

:cool:

Dentalapp:

Hang in there, if you want it bad enough, you'll get it! Remember, I applied late AND I had low numbers for undergrad, result, I was fortunate to be accepted by 3 great dental schools. If admissions sees your determination and KNOW (contact the schools to let them know that your application is there and the you look forward to meet them in person soon) who you are, you're chances will increase drastically!

Yah-E:

WELL SAID!!!!

Originally posted by Yah-E
Slave For MD:

Undergraduate cumulative GPA = 2.73 on AADSAS
Undergraduate science GPA = 2.4
(these are real stats)

You say that you want to do OMS/MD, well, you know what, you're lucky that I don't know your full name, if I did, I would contact the 7 OMS/MD directors around the country that I keep in contact with today and notify them of your poor @ss attitude and the lack of respect for others. Better yet, maybe I should contact all the dental school admissions coordinators/directors to those schools that you're applying to and have them come on this fourm and read your posts! Slave for MD, pssssss, you might as well be slave for McDs.
]

I wish you could stop making me reply back to this stupid thread.
I was NOT talking about you.

Why do you care as to what I'm telling the other kid? Why must you feel insulted and take his back? The kid says he has a science gpa <3.0 and 4 Ws and 1 D. Did he even do decently in his undergrad years? No way. The guy doesn't even have good recommendations, hasn't received a single interview yet, and was rejected by a non-competitive school for an interview. He claims to have social anxiety as well, which will fail him at the interviews that he really won't get. Much time has elapsed and the elapse of each day adds to his disadvantage. Heck, he even applied to Columbia and Penn. He botched his chances alright, not to mention a cash cow for AADSAS and admissions services.

You're right in that adcoms look at something else too but this kid has nothing else that really stands out and he wanted to know honest thoughts on what will happen to him. This was my opinion and you have your's. And don't relate your gpa experiences with his. You were a mere lottery winner and you don't expect that to with anyone as readily.

Whatever the case is, it is up to the applicant to decide where to go from now.

Slave4MD,

Dude you are either just enjoying posting annoying and rude comments or you have some underlying issues and just in general pissed-off at world. In either case I do recommend seeing a shrink before going into any professional school.
Even if you make it to dental/medical school I do not think you will see the graduation day with the attitude that you have. I have not seen anyone as bitter as you.
I know it is really frustrating not to have a job for a year, and on top of that having good grades but not being sure of acceptance into any professional schools b'cose of past crimes, but still this does not explain channeling this frustration toward other people. I wonder how you behave with people in real life????
So we all would appreciate if before posting your comments you would read it once and think to yourself if this is the right thing that I should write? and how would I feel if someone said the same thing to me.
This way you would save us all the negative posting that we get from you. And also all the flamings that people give in your response.

In response to the original poster: Case Western is statistically MORE difficult to get into than the majority of dental schools. They accept 7-8% of their total applicant pool.

I thought that Case Western was a competitive school. Yah-E, could you verify this for me? I was seriously thinking of attending this school.

Slave4MD:
Just by your screen name, you should be posting in the medical forum. Yah-E is right when he mentions that there are other qualities that make a good dentist other than gpa and dat scores. Who knows, maybe dentalapp has the qualities that adcoms are looking for. Getting into a professional program is difficult enough as it is, but to insult a fellow applicant is uncalled for. If you don't have any constructive feedback, then shut the F**k up! :clap:

Dentalapp
I don't think you should worry so early. I bet you'll get some interviews!
Also, have you considered applying to BU, TUFTS, or Temple?

It seems like SlaveMD enjoys pissing people off.
Why doesn't everyone that posts on this forum just ignore him? I think he will get the hint...

dentallapp,

Every dental school has their own mission statement. And their selection process base on that. I believe 100% that the selection process does not base wholly on scores and GPA. Plus, have 4W is not as bad as have 4F or 4D. So, don' t worry.

If you receive early rejection, call the school and tell them....

Even for school like ucsf, I have seen people with 17 and 18 with 3.0 getting in. They only select people who have commitment, kindness, willing to work for the underserved public and less fortunate. If I were you, I would add some more schools now. And don't forget to add ucsf. Work hard on its secondary and you will get in.

Believe in yourself, do not believe in anyone who wants to deceive you.

If you do not get in this year. PM me and I'll help you applying to ucsf post bac program. Then, you'll get in.

Best of luck
Tink

Dentalapp,

if you are that worried, why don't you apply to more schools? you know you can still add schools right? cheer up! it's still only october!
:love:

~Qoo

got rejected everywhere.

interviewed at only one school but heard they called accepted students last Monday.

"Go Lakers" has some great advice!

I can add to your story. I graduated in 1998 with my degree. I applied 3 times during that time. Never really thought the DAT counted for anything other than just something you have to take to get in and the score not really counting. My scores were horrible. I think i had a 13 bio and a 14 PAT. The first time applying i did not receive a single interview, the next 2 times i applied i interviewed at one school but was rejected. I was devistated going through all of this schooling and not being able to get in. Well i decided to take a break and went a year of graduate school before getting a full time job as a chemist for a major refining company. I spent almost 2 years there making pretty good money but decided something was missing. I knew I had to give dentistry one more shot. I sent my application in the earliest possible date (very important). I then studied all summer for the DATs. I worked from 8 till 5 then went home and studied from 7 till midnight. I didn't have much of a summer but i had to make sacrifices. I took my DAT in august and i was dissapointed. My scores was a 16/17. Considering i have been out of school for 4 years i guess it could have been worse. I also improved my scores by 3 points which the schools took into consideration. I ended up getting 4 interviews. I thought all of my interviews went very well. Well Dec. 1 came this week and i was waitlisted at three schools (including CWRU) until today when i received my first acceptance. It has been such a long road for me with a lot of dissapointments but i am finally getting my opportunity of a lifetime. I know i am not the most stellar applicant with multiple acceptances but i am going to be a dentist just the same as them and that is all that matters. I know there is other people with similar stories to mine. My advice is never give up. I will be 28 when school starts but i plan to work until i am 70 anyways. Do your best on your DATs because it will help you better and i am convinced i was waitlisted at the 3 schools because of my scores because my interview went well. I am actually going back to school next semester to brush up on some bio and then take the summer off before school starts. Good luck to you in your application process.

Dentalapp,

The previous two posts were "priceless." It can be done. I sent you a PM please let me know what you think.

DesiDentist

i thought slave4md was kicked off this forum. is there any way to prevent him from posting here?

sorry, didn't see that the majority of these posts were sent in october. so slave4md was kicked off.

I agree with Yah-e, as grades are not everything and hard work and determination will get you far.

With this being said, there is still a lot that you should know about Dental School (Those already in Dental School, including Class Presidents, should pay close attention).

Below are 4 simple decrees that I live by, which will definitely help you get through Dental School:

1) Online Multimedia, such as these student forums, are an excellent tool available to anyone with Internet access?. such as me.
2) Be careful who you make friends with in Dental school, as you never know who will talk behind your back?or in the cases of certain nerds?on the internet.
3) And finally, as in any election, be careful who you vote for.
4) Since I know some of you enjoy the internet so much?here is a website that I think might reveal more about yourself than just GPA, maturity level, or professionalism: http://www.thespark.com/gaytest/

Love,
UPENN Grad (I sit in the quadrant next to Yah-e in Dental Anatomy lab)

P.S: Yah-e?you have people for breakfast??