CWRU v Emory v GW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubsfan

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curiuous...I have heard wonderful things about each of these schools and a few negatives.

Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

I was really impressed by Case. While they certainly do not have as nice a classroom as Duke or Hopkins (they have those orange chairs cira 1970), the students I spoke to (random ones I ran into in the halls) were all really content. The only real complaint I heard was of lack of parking. I don't know enough about the others to speak, but I think Case was a really nice school.

I for one definitely want more info on Case. I liked it when I went, and met a couple of very cool fellow interviewees when I was there. The students seem really happy and there seems to be a lot of support from faculty. I've called to ask a couple of questions before and every time I get a quick response - seems that the faculty and ths student office are very willing to take time to talk to students and to advise them.

Does anyone know anything about the school's negotiations with the Cleveland Clinic?

i forgot to mention the negatives of Case, the main one being the high tuition. However, the cost of living in Cleveland is laughably low when compared to other large cities.

Members don't see this ad :)
been to gw and emory. loved both. :) the cost of living in dc is much higher than in atlanta. both schools are in great neighborhoods. grady hospital in atlanta is 20 min away from the campus. honestly i did not enjoy the panel interview at emory.
on waiting list at both. :p

How are you on the wait list at Emory? They haven't sent that out yet I thought

Cubsfan - you don't permit for PM... but what were your thoughts, and what pos/negs have you heard about these schools?

I would agree that DC is an awesome city, although not very big. It's not the cheapest, but definitely manageable.

not a wait list. i guess i am just another "basket case". u know they throw u in the basket and reconsider at each meet. :rolleyes:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jasmine:
•Does anyone know anything about the school's negotiations with the Cleveland Clinic?•••••Negotiations between CWRU, University Hospitals, and the Cleveland Clinic have been pretty secretive. A lot of my info comes from somewhat speculative articles from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Recently, a short term (16 months, I think) affiliation deal was renewed with UH. That is for sure. The new university president (former dean from Rochester Med)will start during the next academic year to make the affiliation agreement with UH more long term.

Future affiliation with CC may very well be on the not so distant horizon. I think the main motivation is NIH research dollars. Imagine how that would change the total NIH research funds for the university. Affiliation with CC would also stick in UH's craw, because they are such fierce competitors (with CC being dominant). Hence, these affiliation negotiations stir up a lot of political issues and very little comment from university bigwigs. (As a side note: I once read that the CC is considering starting up their own little med school sometime soon. I'll believe that when I see it.)

Has anybody heard about Cleveland Clinic trying to start its own medical school?

Does anyone know anything about the school's negotiations with the Cleveland Clinic?

The Cleveland Clinic is associated with Ohio State.

The second half of the following article provides a better summary.

<a href="http://www.cleveland.com/world/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/1014723001187370.xml" target="_blank">CWRU, UH, and the Clinic</a>

Wow, Hairless, thanks for that article. I had heard of that vague notion that new affiliations with the hospitals would result in CWRU jumping into the top ten - was curious if that was actually true.

I don't know about Case, but I think I would definitely choose emory over GW--isn't it a much better school? :confused:

Unless the city is what intrigues you (DC is definitely a fun location)

To answer jasmine, et al...here's my opinion. I have interviewed at all three and am on Hold at CWRU and GW. Emory is deciding in the next week (March 11-15).
Emory and CWRU I have tied on my persona list right now. CWRU is H/P/F, non-traditional, out of class by 1pm. Emory is grades, very traditional, rumors of extreme competitveness. HOWEVER, I love Emory's facilities, Grady affiliation, residency ranking (12th in USNews). Basically, this decision (if I am fortunate enough to be accepted) would be a lot easier if Emory was not on grades.

GW was awesome, being in DC...but I would put it 3rd

•••quote:•••Originally posted by boceifus:
•Does anyone know anything about the school's negotiations with the Cleveland Clinic?

The Cleveland Clinic is associated with Ohio State.•••••Ohio State and the Cleveland Clinic will stop their affiliation next year.

Thats weird...OSU sent out an email stating this years entering class would have the opportunity for electives in the 3rd and fourth years at CCF. Where did you get your info Sevo?

I am a first year at Case at here is what little I know:

- with regards to parking, there is no problem with it as long as you sign up for it over the summer. If you wait until the first days of class, you will be unable to get a parking pass. I was shocked at how easy it was to get a parking pass because I was unable to get one at UNC for all four years that I was there.

- the Cleveland Clinic medical school was going to involve teaching about 20-40 students at Case for 1-2 years and then send them back to the Clinic (the reason for this was that it would expedite the accrediting process for the Clinic). However, I have recently heard that the Clinic has given up on this idea and will take the long road towards a medical school of its own.