USMLE CY-P450 manifestation on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izchief360

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Since I haven't come across too many practice question's regarding this, I thought I'd ask since Sketchy makes it a point to indicate CY-P450 inducers and inhibitors. Basically, how will questions asking about this concept manifest? I can imagine something along the lines of:

"Here is patent A with x, y, z, symptoms (perhaps status epilepticus). Which of the following is an adverse effect of the first line prophylactic treatment?" options: alteration of hepatocyte metabolism (phenytoin)

But I'd love input from those who may have more experience with this concept.

Members don't see this ad.

"What specific CYP enzyme does X inhibit?" is also a very potential question. I don't consider anything "low yield" in regards to this exam.

"What specific CYP enzyme does X inhibit?" is also a very potential question. I don't consider anything "low yield" in regards to this exam.

I've seen this pop up from time to time but it's not covered in FA. Any resources you'd recommend to hammer 'em?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are cyp inducers , inhibitors and substrates in First aid.

correct, page 243 of FA 2017 has the information you mentioned. The information we're looking for is specific CYP enzymes induced/inhibited.

Edit: this is a start:

Reactions: 2 users
I believe there is a section of specific ones in Katzung. I don't recommend going gung-ho on making sure you know every single one, but they are possible questions!