Cyber Security Assessment for Small Clinic?

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by JStevens212, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. JStevens212

JStevens212

Apr 20, 2017
    Hey guys.

I was hoping someone could fill me in on how much I might be expected (or should be willing) to pay to have a cyber security consultant come into a small clinic (two M.Ds) and give a general security assessment of the environment. I've seen prices for Security Audits of information systems and IT infrastructures range anywhere from $3000-$10000, but I'm not really sure how good/bad those prices would be compared the what's generally offered.

Has anyone here had cyber security services offered in their own office? Would you say 3-10k was a worthwhile expenditure for the service?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. septoplasty

septoplasty Exceptional 5+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Call Room
    Interesting question.. but that figure sounds way expensive.

Are they basically checking if your internal lan/router/internet is secured? What services specifically?

If you're pretty handy with computers and can set up a WPA security on your internet/physically lock your devices/have good passwords that change often, you might save some money if that's what they're offering.

Guess it also depends on your EMR whether that's stored on a physical server at your office or on a cloud (if latter, then usually the cloud service helps w/ security).

4. JStevens212

JStevens212

Apr 20, 2017
    So the service would be a general security and compliance assessment, followed by the providing of an Information Security policy. I don't think it would be priced that high though...1.5-2k tops. Just wondering how beneficial it would be to have a trained professional come in and provide those kind of deliverables at that price.