Cyclohexane to chair, HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoooShuuu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Number 64 in Destroyer...

I'm very confused how to go about converting a ring to a chair (where to place the substituents and whether they are axial vs equitorial).

Also, when do you HAVE to use this conversion?

Given two chair conformations--one with both substituents axial or equitorial:

Changing both to the opposite would make the identical molecule.
Changing one would be a diasterisomer. How would you make an enantiomer?

Thanks for your help !

Members don't see this ad.

I dont have destroyer so i dont kno what the question is asking, however, in terms of the chair conformation of cyclohexanes, i would recommend (if you are trying to determine the diasteriomer or the enantiomer of the molecule) you draw the molecule flat as a ring. Look for a plane of symmetry. if you dont find one assign R and S to the asymetrical carbon, and if the molecule has only one assymetrical carbon (stereogenic center) then you can only make the enantiomer, it wont have any diasteriomers. ( Reason being is that the number of isomers a molecule makes is 2^n (n=the number of streogenic carbons) and if there is one then you can only make the enantiomer. If you have two, compare the R and S. If it converts from RR to SS its enantiomer, if it goes from RR to RS diasteriomer. If you post the Question maybe i can be of better help:D