D.D.S.<>M.D.<>D.O.<>DPM<>Pharm D-An Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An update on an old topic.

Code:
			Enrollees	
	Year	# Sc    Appli	Enrol	ratio	gap o	GPA sci
Podiat	2006	8	844	586	1.44	3.3	3.1
Optom	2007	17	779	553	1.41	3.37	3
Vet	2007	28	5740	2657	2.16	3.54	
Dental	2007	56	12010	4599	2.61	3.54	3.48
Pharm	2007	106	      ~11000		3.54	
MD	2007	129	42315	17759	2.38	3.65	3.59

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for info, and not to discredit your posting, but i feel as though this isn't really an update. it's been this way for many years. comparing all these health professional fields.....podiatry is relatively easer to get into, and med school is relatively the hardest to get into, (though medicine also has a lot more schools, allo + osteo).
actually, i heard that vet school admissions is EXTREMELY difficult. maybe 1/7th applicants vs. med, but i believe there's only ~25 schools (with small class sizes) in US, ouch.

thanks for info, and not to discredit your posting, but i feel as though this isn't really an update. it's been this way for many years. comparing all these health professional fields.....podiatry is relatively easer to get into, and med school is relatively the hardest to get into, (though medicine also has a lot more schools, allo + osteo).
actually, i heard that vet school admissions is EXTREMELY difficult. maybe 1/7th applicants vs. med, but i believe there's only ~25 schools (with small class sizes) in US, ouch.

The stats are right there, both med and dental have a higher ratio of applicants to acceptees than vet schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've always heard that getting into vet school is near impossible, and that you need above a 3.8 to even have a shot. Is that just a myth? Anyone heard stuff along the same lines?

I know it is very competitive, but like many other professional schools, it depends on a variety of factors. I was told (by someone attending our state vet school) that you have a better chance of getting into her vet school if you're male because they have so many women applying. She told me they let a guy in who had just above a 3.0...without even interviewing! She wasn't happy.

So I've always heard that getting into vet school is near impossible, and that you need above a 3.8 to even have a shot. Is that just a myth? Anyone heard stuff along the same lines?

ummm...I don't have any first hand experience on the subject...but based on the data above I'd say that a 3.54 would have a shot (among other factors. ) I'm no statistician but (again based on data presented above) 42.3% are accepted of those that apply. 42.3% > 0% so I'd rule out that it is impossible to get in.

2 of my best friends were accepted to vet school with gpas under 3.5

The stats are right there, both med and dental have a higher ratio of applicants to acceptees than vet schools.

well yes, i can see that. but again, just to repeat, i've only heard that vet school admissions is harder (not experienced first hand, just based off word of mouth). i didn't mean to challenge the OP's post, i'm just curious where these stats are from, a source was never stated.

does "MD" clump Allo and DO together? What if we were to seperate those two?
An update on an old topic.

Code:
            Enrollees    
    Year    # Sc    Appli    Enrol    ratio    gap o    GPA sci
Podiat    2006    8    844    586    1.44    3.3    3.1
Optom    2007    17    779    553    1.41    3.37    3
Vet    2007    28    5740    2657    2.16    3.54    
Dental    2007    56    12010    4599    2.61    3.54    3.48
Pharm    2007    106          ~11000        3.54    
MD    2007    129    42315    17759    2.38    3.65    3.59

wow..i'm surprised to see that dental has higher applicant to acceptance ratio than med.... dental is sure catching up real fast...

I think alot of premeds have been switching into predental because of its better lifestyle and potential $$$ in dentistry....

I don't see the better lifestyle as a student. Med students have a much higher quality of life than any dental student.

If by small class size you mean 50+ (1 school), 60+ (1), 70+ (2), 80+ (7), 90 (4), 100+ (3), 110+ (2), 120+ (1), 130+ (3) 140+ (1), then they are on the "small" side. The 129 med schools are all allo. Our perception of reality is a heck of a lot easier to accept than the real thing.

well yes, i can see that. but again, just to repeat, i've only heard that vet school admissions is harder (not experienced first hand, just based off word of mouth). i didn't mean to challenge the OP's post, i'm just curious where these stats are from, a source was never stated.

The dubious sources are AAVMC, ASCO, AAMC, ADEA, AACP, PCAS, AACPM.

Members don't see this ad :)

There is some confusion between mean gpa scores for specific school and the mean scores for the nation. There may be 2 schools that fit the gpa that you describe (3.8) but it is still a mean not a minimum requirement. That would be like saying that getting into ds is "near impossible" based on the mean scores for Nebraska (at 3.85) or Harvard (3.78).

There is some confusion between mean gpa scores for specific school and the mean scores for the nation. There may be 2 schools that fit the gpa that you describe (3.8) but it is still a mean not a minimum requirement. That would be like saying that getting into ds is "near impossible" based on the mean scores for Nebraska (at 3.85) or Harvard (3.78).

to bump a really old thread...

Hey Doc,
can you post the sources for your info above. My friend is about to kill me because he doesn't believe your data.

The dental GPA's are inflated. AADSAS counts an A+ as 4.33 while AMCAS counts an A+ as a 4.0. This is no small deal as it has the potential to drastically inflate the dental GPA. Just look at the >4.0 GPA's on the dental side. Even with those with under a 4.0 have an inflated GPA if they received at least one A+. Maybe an * should be placed next to dental/non-standard GPA calculations.

The dental GPA's are inflated. AADSAS counts an A+ as 4.33 while AMCAS counts an A+ as a 4.0. This is no small deal as it has the potential to drastically inflate the dental GPA. Just look at the >4.0 GPA's on the dental side. Even with those with under a 4.0 have an inflated GPA if they received at least one A+. Maybe an * should be placed next to dental/non-standard GPA calculations.

Thats not true. If you notice on AADSAS we have two gpas. one GPA and the GPA w/o. The w/o doesn't count any + or -. When Adcoms look at your GPA they usually only look at the GPA w/o. Thats what I saw in my folder at several schools during my interview. Also how many schools in this country even give A+? not that many. Most schools give A- but not A+.

The degree of "inflation" that you claim for dental gpa may be bit exagerated. According to AADSAS, whether or not a +/- system is used in calculating gpa is a function of the request by the schools. At the moment, there is no evidence to suggest that dental and medical schools do not use the same conversions, at least, in the reports submitted for statistical purposes. Moreover, there is also scant evidence that there are overwhelming numbers of colleges and universities in the U.S. that use the alpha +/- system of grading. There is some evidence that +/- system is more common in graduate than undergraduate schools.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2007amcasgradeconversionguide2.pdf
https://portal.aadsasweb.org/aadsas2009/instructions/conversion_grade.htm

https://portal.aadsasweb.org/aadsas2009/gpas.htm
"AADSAS also calculates GPA’s in two different ways: with and without +’s and –‘s. This is done at the request of the dental schools. Some prefer to use the +/- system and other prefer to use grades without +’s and –‘s. "

Also how many schools in this country even give A+? not that many. Most schools give A- but not A+.

I'm with you on this one! At every institution I've attended an A+ was like some mythical anomaly.

I'm with you on this one! At every institution I've attended an A+ was like some mythical anomaly.

if i remember right there are a couple of ppl on this board that have over a 4.0.. lol

if i remember right there are a couple of ppl on this board that have over a 4.0.. lol

Not cool at all!

Actually, there's a good chance most of them end up being your classmates. ;)