D+ in math, is it over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1123640

Overall cGPA right now of 3.5, semester gpa of 3.2 (3 As and 1 B in a lab)

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to retake any prerequisite classes in which you scored a C- or lower, for them to count on your med school application.
Was it a Calculus class? If so, take Statistics instead next time because most med school want that class.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will have to retake any prerequisite classes in which you scored a C- or lower, for them to count on your med school application.
Was it a Calculus class? If so, take Statistics instead next time because most med school want that class.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was precalculus. I have calculus I and II to take, still. I imagine those would likely hold a bit more weight being higher level? I don't have to take statistics and I really don't want to since the math department at my university is known for being terrible.

Edit: I think there might be a biostatistics class that's not in the math department if that could count?
If you have to retake a D to graduate, you have to do it. If you need calculus for your degree, you have to do it.

Biostatistics is fine.

Ok, I know I'll have to retake it. What I'm asking is will this automatically screen me out from med schools? Like, will they look and see "D+, next!", or do I still have a shot? Our math department is just known for failing over a quarter of the class. They don't hold office hours, scribble on the board, and tell you to try harder when you ask for help. Come test day, they just elaborate upon what they didn't teach you, so unless you are an expert in the topic, you'll fail. Our class average was a 68.
Many people get in with a low grade or two on their transcript so no, it isn't that significant.

What is significant is how you react to classes like this. This class won't be the only one where either the department sucks or the teacher sucks. What did you do about it other than just accepting it? In the world of youtube, Kahn Academy, the student success center at your school, there are a plethora of options available to you. Sometimes you have to work harder to achieve success academically than you realistically should be required to but at the end of the day it is your grade and your responsibility. Medical schools don't want to hear "the teacher/department sucked". Figuring out how to overcome challenges in classes like this should be your most important step moving forward.

Many people get in with a low grade or two on their transcript so no, it isn't that significant.

What is significant is how you react to classes like this. This class won't be the only one where either the department sucks or the teacher sucks. What did you do about it other than just accepting it? In the world of youtube, Kahn Academy, the student success center at your school, there are a plethora of options available to you. Sometimes you have to work harder to achieve success academically than you realistically should be required to but at the end of the day it is your grade and your responsibility. Medical schools don't want to hear "the teacher/department sucked". Figuring out how to overcome challenges in classes like this should be your most important step moving forward.

Ok, I know I'll have to retake it. What I'm asking is will this automatically screen me out from med schools? Like, will they look and see "D+, next!", or do I still have a shot? Our math department is just known for failing over a quarter of the class. They don't hold office hours, scribble on the board, and tell you to try harder when you ask for help. Come test day, they just elaborate upon what they didn't teach you, so unless you are an expert in the topic, you'll fail. Our class average was a 68.
one bad greade will NOT screen you out. The committee on admissions wants to see an uptrend in grades when they interview you. But the thing that they will screen is overall/science GPA and MCAT. For a US MD school you will need above a 3.7 overal GPA And science GPA and over a 510 on the MCAT in order to be granted interviews. So continue working hard in order to make yourself stand out.

i got an II this cycle with a D in a math class lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've done all those, it's just a matter of they don't let us know what we need to know.
A D in one class won't get you out of med school, but this mindset will. You need to take that external locus of control, internalize it, and learn something meaningful from your failure to apply to your future success.

Reactions: 4 users
A D in one class won't get you out of med school, but this mindset will. You need to take that external locus of control, internalize it, and learn something meaningful from your failure to apply to your future success.
N/A

Like I said, how can you do well in a class where they don't tell you what you need to know? I'm gonna give you a test but all you know is it's on trigonometry. You don't know if it's on proving identities, figuring out values of sides, figuring out angles, or anything in between. How do you know what to study and what not to?
Does your math department or student services office have a Tutoring center for math?

Like I said, how can you do well in a class where they don't tell you what you need to know? I'm gonna give you a test but all you know is it's on trigonometry. You don't know if it's on proving identities, figuring out values of sides, figuring out angles, or anything in between. How do you know what to study and what not to?
The simple answer is make sure you can do all of it. Most of my classes have been "anything in lecture between this test and the last one is fair game" and some of them include review from past tests as well. If it's gone over in class, you're doing yourself a disservice by not studying it. Very few of my classes have a laid out guide for what is on tests. This is why academics is hard. Anyone can cram a few specific concepts for a test when told exactly what to study, but that is zero indication that you actually learned/know the material.

Won't screen you out. Why do you need to take Calc I and II? A lot of pre-med friendly majors don't require calc. Most med schools don't require calc either.

Agree with above posters, if there are people getting A's in the class, that means where there's a will there's a way. If there aren't, you might be able to take it up with the school.

if you got a D in pre calc, I would advise you not to take calc 1 and 2, especially if you will be taking it with a bunch of engineering/chem/physics/computer sciene majors. Take stats or other applied math as others have mentioned. If you have to take calc, take the calc series for life science majors.