D in Ochem 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AggieStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am currently a second semester sophomore with a 2.7 GPA. I have 2 C's in gen 1 and gen 2, a C in Bio 2 and a D in ochem 1. Is it time to drop pre med? I know that I will do better starting this semester because I have figured out what I've been doing wrong and I am ready to work hard to fix my GPA but is it already too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Low grades in pre-reqs is not a good trend. Remember than Med School is not for everybody. Reevaluate what you want to do in life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!
I am currently a second semester sophomore with a 2.7 GPA. I have 2 C's in gen 1 and gen 2, a C in Bio 2 and a D in ochem 1. Is it time to drop pre med? I know that I will do better starting this semester because I have figured out what I've been doing wrong and I am ready to work hard to fix my GPA but is it already too late?
You can still be a doctor if you have the motivation. You should consider retaking all those science classes you got a C or lower in and take advantage of the DO replacement grade policy. Or do a Post-bacc.

Thank you this is very encouraging! :)
How does the grade replacing policy for DO work?

Last edited:
Thank you this is very encouraging! :)
How does the grade replacing policy for DO work?
You can retake classes that you did poorly in at any institution, either the same one or a different one, as long as the credits awarded are the same or greater.

You still have a chance, especially for a DO, but definitely retake those bad grades.

If you get A's in the retakes and show a strong upward trend, then you'll be in good shape for a DO school, provided you shadow a DO and show some interest in the DO profession, as well as having a decent MCAT score and good ECs.

If you insist on an MD, then you'll have to drastically turn around, becoming a straight A student AND get a great MCAT score (33+) AND do an SMP.

Hello everyone!
What was it that you were doing wrong? I ask mostly out of curiosity.

Sorry, I do think it's time to drop the pre-med.

Hello everyone!

Unless you can start hammering out A's in everything from now... I just don't see it. You will probably need to repeat those courses (and more alarming since they are core BCPM courses).

Like others said, consider DO or carib MD/foreign MD as last resort if you are REALLY SURE you want to become a physician.