D.O. chances in getting MD spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdubguru

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm a ms3 interested in doing a MD ophthal residency. I'm in the top 5 percent of my class and scored a 255 on the USMLE I. Will being a DO hinder my chances of landing a spot say at the cleveland clinic or something like that in ophtahl.Also what else could I add to help my chances. Have no research experience btw.

Or would I be better off looking at another field, like radiology, in order to get into a MD residnecy.

Members don't see this ad.

Will being a DO hinder my chances of landing a spot say at the cleveland clinic or something like that in ophtahl.

Yes, it in all likelihood rules you out of all but the least competitive programs. I can't think of the last time a DO took one of those residency spots.

Or would I be better off looking at another field, like radiology, in order to get into a MD residnecy.

I kinda doubt radiology is going to provide you with better opportunities. Best of luck though.

Why do you have your heart set on an allopathic residency? Why not an osteopathic ophthalmology residency? I never understood the difference between the two, or why so many D.O.s apply for MD spots. If I was in your shoes and I wanted to do ophtho, I would apply to both MD & DO programs rather than applying to my 2nd choice specialty just because it may be easier to land an allopathic spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I'm a ms3 interested in doing a MD ophthal residency. I'm in the top 5 percent of my class and scored a 255 on the USMLE I. Will being a DO hinder my chances of landing a spot say at the cleveland clinic or something like that in ophtahl.Also what else could I add to help my chances. Have no research experience btw.

A rather tasteless question my friend.

Do you have passion for ophthalmology? or Rads?

Your lack of genuine interest in ophtho will be a much bigger hindrance than your D.O. degree. ;)

pdubguru,

Do what you are passionate about! My best friend is an osteopathic student such as yourself and he is going after plastic surgery (statistically top 2 in competitiveness). He has a 97% cumulative average and just took his USMLE and COMLEX. The statistical odds are against him being a future DO grad but I would bet my house and 2 cars that I have that he will succeed. He is tenacious and self-efficacious. Two of the BEST ophthalmologists I have rotated with were DO's and had to fight tremendously back in the 80's when they did their residencies to become ophthalmologists. One went to the military and the other was in an obscure (basically unheralded OMD residency program) but they DID it.

Good Luck.

I would try for a DO ophtho spot before considering switching specialties.