D.O. friendly M.D. programs in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

culling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know of any M.D. anesthesia programs in NY that are D.O. friendly? I am interested in some of the more prestigious programs like NYU, Mt. Sinai, Cornell but I'm afraid they only exclusively take MD's. Any current D.O. residents out there at any of these programs? Anyone with any advice on the topic would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

St lukes, maimonides, montefiore have definitely taken DOs before.

I think NYU is very explicit in their no DO policy (but please double check that)

Sinai has taken DOs for their fellowships but not for residency.

I don't know if Columbia or Cornell interview DOs but I'd be willing to be a lot of money that they don't take DOs in their program.

If you are looking for a major academic center, monte is probably the best bet given their current probation status.

I'll never understand the D.O. unfriendliness in NYC. if hopkins, Uchicago, and WashU don't have problems, i don't get why NYU would have a 'no D.O' policy

i'd just apply wherever you are interested, if you are really dying to go somewhere and have competitive stats, do an audition and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll never understand the D.O. unfriendliness in NYC. if hopkins, Uchicago, and WashU don't have problems, i don't get why NYU would have a 'no D.O' policy

i'd just apply wherever you are interested, if you are really dying to go somewhere and have competitive stats, do an audition and see what happens.

I think a lot of the stuff having to do with DOs is related to what state a program is in. Some states have several DO schools. Some states have no DO schools. I don't know all the rules/regulations behind what goes into it, but it sort of seems to be true.

Sinai has taken DOs for their fellowships but not for residency.

I can second that...when there interviewing I was told that DO's weren't really considered for residency but that I should definitely apply for fellowship :confused:

The rest of the day was pretty awkward after that.

Thanks for the good info. I'm setting up my 4th year electives right now and I dont want to waste my time. I have top board scores and grades but I guess thats not enough as a D.O to get my foot in the door at some of the bigger name M.D. programs in NY. Maybe one day we can all live in a world where M.D's and D.O's can live in peace and harmony. Maybe I'll start the revolution.

bump

and does anyone happen to know about nj?

bump, any new info in the last two years?

Will take DOs: St. Luke's, Maimonides, Downstate

Will not take DOs: Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mount Sinai, and now Einstein (new PD with a "no DO policy")

This seems to be the case regardless of scores, clinical grades, LORs, and research experience. If you do have your heart set on one of these programs, try doing an away rotation and ask the PD about it.

university of rochester does as well