D.O. in radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnid45

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year medical student at a DO school and I'm applying for radiology this year. I know that being at a DO school is a hurdle already in my application process, and was wondering what kind of stats I would need to be considered for an interview. These are my current scores:
step I = 231
comlex I = 91%
Top 10% of class
Honors in most of rotations
research in undergrad, NOT related to anything in radiology
Thanks a lot :)

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy. I'm a pion third year as well, and based on what I've read here and there, I think you should definitely give it a shot. Schedule a meeting with your PD, and maybe PDs at other institutions, and show your interest (if you have any interest in a particular hospital or location). You sound like a smart applicant, and don't let the the DO stop you from trying. I think it's too hard to say what those numbers will give you. Everyone will admit that the DO is an obstacle, but no one should say it can't be overcome. Hope this helps.

Definitely apply, your chances are pretty good.

Be flexible with geography.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Skeptic said:
Howdy. I'm a pion third year as well, and based on what I've read here and there, I think you should definitely give it a shot. Schedule a meeting with your PD, and maybe PDs at other institutions, and show your interest (if you have any interest in a particular hospital or location). You sound like a smart applicant, and don't let the the DO stop you from trying. I think it's too hard to say what those numbers will give you. Everyone will admit that the DO is an obstacle, but no one should say it can't be overcome. Hope this helps.

cool, thanks for the input, i will definitely try, with fingers crossed :laugh:

gnid45 said:
I'm a fourth year medical student at a DO school and I'm applying for radiology this year. I know that being at a DO school is a hurdle already in my application process, and was wondering what kind of stats I would need to be considered for an interview. These are my current scores:
step I = 231
comlex I = 91%
Top 10% of class

Many stellar students apply to radiology; however, there are so many spots that the specialty isn't impossible to get into. Just make sure to apply broadly, including many community programs. Also, accept the fact that you might not have control over where you end up geographically.

gnid45 said:
step I = 231
comlex I = 91%
Top 10% of class

You should definitely apply, but yes, apply broadly so that you have options and rotate through some fairly DO friendly MD rads programs to possibly stand out some, even though that's difficult, its not impossible and you can really make people take notice. On the same token, you never know where you might get an interview...I was shocked at some places I got invites. If you can get some strong letters of rec you have a real shot at good programs, but I honestly doubt that you'll have a problem at least matching.

Good Luck!

Vince, DO
Radiology resident in 26 days!!!

Vince and anyone else. What are some ways to get a STRONG LOR from a radiologist. It just seems if one does an away they will work with a resident and an attending for 2 or 3 days during a specific rotation i.e. chest, nuclear, MRI...etc

Vince said:
You should definitely apply, but yes, apply broadly so that you have options and rotate through some fairly DO friendly MD rads programs to possibly stand out some, even though that's difficult, its not impossible and you can really make people take notice. On the same token, you never know where you might get an interview...I was shocked at some places I got invites. If you can get some strong letters of rec you have a real shot at good programs, but I honestly doubt that you'll have a problem at least matching.

Good Luck!

Vince, DO

Vince said:

Good Luck!

Vince, DO

hey congratulations!!! would you have any DO friendly MD rads program on the top of your head? i looked at some DO rad programs........hmmm.........i'm not too sure about those. any pointers?

gnid45 said:
hey congratulations!!! would you have any DO friendly MD rads program on the top of your head? i looked at some DO rad programs........hmmm.........i'm not too sure about those. any pointers?

Being from LECOM, you should look into U Pitt....they take DO's...there PD is a D.O.