D.O. lor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there fellow SDNers

well here's the thing, I know some schools require a lor from a DO, some say a DO is better choice. I was thinking about using this, a lor from the director of a ER who is a MD. He would write I worked under DOs, MDs, PAs and RNs. You guys think this would be acceptable or not even worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there fellow SDNers

well here's the thing, I know some schools require a lor from a DO, some say a DO is better choice. I was thinking about using this, a lor from the director of a ER who is a MD. He would write I worked under DOs, MDs, PAs and RNs. You guys think this would be acceptable or not even worth it?

This would not qualify as a LOR from a DO, but it sounds like a great LOR so keep it!

DANG IT!!!! Well I'll continue to try and get a LOR from a DO

Members don't see this ad :)
DANG IT!!!! Well I'll continue to try and get a LOR from a DO

A DO applicant's physician LOR scale:

Best) Good letters from MD + DO
Satisfactory) MD + DO letters, but I rushed to get a DO letter, and it may suck.
Keep trying) MD letter only --> Many DO schools will be adamant about the DO letter, so get on it.

Almost every DO secondary has a "DO related question" (why DO, describe a DO experience, etc.). So have something to respond with, and seek a DO to shadow.

It's so lazy of me but the D.O. letter requirement is what kept me from applying to osteopathic schools :oops:. I just didn't want to look for one from a doctor I barely knew.

I guess I'm going to stop being lazy and get one. :xf:Out of curiosity, does the DO have to be someone practicing or can it be someone in their residency too? I know some who will let me shadow them right now but the problem is they are residents. All graduates of where I would like to attend (NYCOM)

Keep in mind, there are schools that don't require one. I only needed one for LECOM, but I also asked him to send it to PCOM since I haven't heard back from them. DO schools seem to be the only schools that ask for a physician LOR (and a minority of them ask for it to be from a DO). I understand why in theory they would want one, but for the most part, physician LORs are a bunch of crap, to be blunt, unless you worked for them.

Keep in mind, there are schools that don't require one. I only needed one for LECOM, but I also asked him to send it to PCOM since I haven't heard back from them. DO schools seem to be the only schools that ask for a physician LOR (and a minority of them ask for it to be from a DO). I understand why in theory they would want one, but for the most part, physician LORs are a bunch of crap, to be blunt, unless you worked for them.

I've never really seen the value in them either. How important would a short, vague LOR compare to the interview anyway?

It's so lazy of me but the D.O. letter requirement is what kept me from applying to osteopathic schools :oops:. I just didn't want to look for one from a doctor I barely knew.
Are you sure it wasn't your 3.9 that kept you from applying to DO schools? ;)

I've never really seen the value in them either. How important would a short, vague LOR compare to the interview anyway?

The value is NOT in a short vague lor. The value is in a DO letter written by a physician who knows you (attributes and limitations) who wrote you a kick butt lor. The point is not to send you out looking for just anyone to write you a piece of crap. The point is for you to have worked with a DO, so that you will have been exposed to their job. Thus give you a reason to want to apply DO... Besides oh its there and I think they might accept me. Because guess what? DO schools prefer candidates that actually have an inkling about osteopathic medicine. Go figure. After all, why put initials after your name that you don't understand? My DO lor was the strongest lor in my file.

OP spend some time with a DO. We are generally a friendly bunch. ;)

The value is NOT in a short vague lor. The value is in a DO letter written by a physician who knows you (attributes and limitations) who wrote you a kick butt lor. The point is not to send you out looking for just anyone to write you a piece of crap. The point is for you to have worked with a DO, so that you will have been exposed to their job. Thus give you a reason to want to apply DO... Besides oh its there and I think they might accept me. Because guess what? DO schools prefer candidates that actually have an inkling about osteopathic medicine. Go figure. After all, why put initials after your name that you don't understand? My DO lor was the strongest lor in my file.

OP spend some time with a DO. We are generally a friendly bunch. ;)

Unfortunately, most applicants I know personally didn't approach the osteopathic LOR with quite that level of commitment. Sorry?

Thanks for all the responses. I have followed some ER DO's in the past, they do know I need a lor but they are too busy. I have been told that, if the doctor isn't in a place that's well known, it's not a good idea to get a lor from them. This is what kept me from going to a privately ruined clinc.

The person broke it down like this
A) DO who works in a hospital with a big name
B) DO who has his own practice in a town no one knows about

Which one would have a stronger lor, because of this, I refrained from asking any DO's outside the hospital setting. Looking at it now, it was pretty much a dumb choice to listen to that guy even though he is a DO.

The best LOR is always from someone who knows you well.

I had two physician LOR- an MD at a very well known hospital, and a DO who is our head of teams DR at my university. Because I am on a team, he has come to know me very well. That is key.

The best LOR is always from someone who knows you well.

I had two physician LOR- an MD at a very well known hospital, and a DO who is our head of teams DR at my university. Because I am on a team, he has come to know me very well. That is key.

Wish I was on that team ;)