D.O./M.D. over P.A.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know how many people out there thought about going to P.A. (physician assistant ) school over medical school.

I have heard a lot of positive things about P.A. school, and more and more bad things about becoming a physician.

Your thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, here are a few thoughts...

I don't think it makes sense for the typical premed to pursue PA, unless they happen to have the required prereqs (which aren't covered in the premed requirements), and the hundreds of hours of direct patient experiences that most PA schools require. Of course, its easier to get these classes than to pursue becoming an NP, but its still a pain in the butt especially if you have been aiming for medical school all along. As a PA you will have less responsibility in the end, lower autonomy, and of course lower pay. On the plus side you will incurr lower debt as a PA, and less schooling (which can be good or bad, I happen to like school and is one of the reasons I decided on DO/MD vs. PA).

I did seriously think about taking the PA route because I am married and hoping to have children in the next few years. I do work for a couple of doctors also who are really burnt out and are constantly reminding me that being a physician isn't always as good as it seems. But, as Yposhelley mentioned, the PA programs near me require many hours of hands-on patient contact. This meant that I would have to get another certification such as nursing assistant or EMT to get that contact. I figured if I had to go through an additional year or so to meet the qualifications for the PA program, well I might as well just do it all. I don't like working for other people and I want to have control over how I practice. Some people really like the greater predictablility of being a PA as far as hours and vacations.

Members don't see this ad :)
marie337 said:
...are constantly reminding me that being a physician isn't always as good as it seems.

hear this all the time also.

oh well, its too late! :laugh:

Go to PA school.

i was accepted to PA school out of college: had a moment of hesitation and then decided to withdraw b/c i would have been quite young when i graduated, 24, and i felt that was too young to treat patients. i worked for a few years (in biomedical/big pharm) and QUICKLY realized that PA was not the way to go for me, i needed autonomy, and that meant physician. if you need to be as close to your own boss as possible, think twice about PA. but the only way you will ever realize what you want out of a job or career is to actually work before you choose a pathway. that doesn't mean shadowing a doctor once a month, but having a real job and realizing the ramifications, postives, negatives, to what you do... gl

I totally agree with Ratch. Working in the field and experiencing the different roles that providers play and how everyone's day unfolds is the best way to figure this one out. For example, I know that I would never pursue the NP route over the PA route because I've seen how much more respect a PA gets in the office. Patients tend to hear the "Nurse" part of NP and think they are not as qualified as a PA. So, if you are really up in the air, find an office or hospital to spend some time in.

marie337 said:
I did seriously think about taking the PA route because I am married and hoping to have children in the next few years. I do work for a couple of doctors also who are really burnt out and are constantly reminding me that being a physician isn't always as good as it seems. But, as Yposhelley mentioned, the PA programs near me require many hours of hands-on patient contact. This meant that I would have to get another certification such as nursing assistant or EMT to get that contact. I figured if I had to go through an additional year or so to meet the qualifications for the PA program, well I might as well just do it all. I don't like working for other people and I want to have control over how I practice. Some people really like the greater predictablility of being a PA as far as hours and vacations.

I feel the exact same way. I was planning on going the PA route for quite some time. I eventually became frustrated with trying to find a hands-on patient care setting without having the extra certification (I was already in school full-time, finishing pre-requisites). It got so frustrating that I said screw it, I'm gonna be the boss! Salary-wise, I figured that as a doctor I'll make up the lost salary that I would have had by going the PA route and getting out quicker in five years or less. That made me throw out the idea that the quicker easier route to a good paying job was the way to go. Plus, I started to realize that I do have a stronger personality and prefer to lead and make decisions rather than not. Always remember to look at the big picture and try to analyze your future in the long-run, not just now.

Good advice. I'm old (34), I've been an EMT for a year and a half, and I just passed a year working as an ED Tech. I guess PA schools might like me... but I still need all the pre-reqs, and the Post-Bac where I'm going will only get me most of those. At this pace, I could either be a 41-year-old intern, or a 41-year-old PA. PA would be much better, during that year.

But at 45 or 50, I'd be an attending... or a PA. I don't need to be the boss, and I like working on a team. But damned if I'm going to be 50 and not have a nice loud voice and a vote in how the team I'm on practices. :D

Febrifuge said:
Good advice. I'm old (34), I've been an EMT for a year and a half, and I just passed a year working as an ED Tech. I guess PA schools might like me... but I still need all the pre-reqs, and the Post-Bac where I'm going will only get me most of those. At this pace, I could either be a 41-year-old intern, or a 41-year-old PA. PA would be much better, during that year.

But at 45 or 50, I'd be an attending... or a PA. I don't need to be the boss, and I like working on a team. But damned if I'm going to be 50 and not have a nice loud voice and a vote in how the team I'm on practices. :D

Very well said! My story is very similar to yours and I hear the constant encouragement to go into nursing or PA. But I know myself, I want to to my own work as a doctor not always being on the non-thinking end of the equation. (or not as independent thinking end if your a PA) and like another poster said I like school.

Here's what my mother says: If I was you I'd go for med school. She's been a nurse for for over 20 years and is now an NP. So I listen to my mother who knows me and not all the naysayers or whining physicians.--Ben

Good for you guys! My mom went to medical school in her mid-40s. She always says it was the best decision she could have made.
:thumbup:

chan said:
Just wanted to know how many people out there thought about going to P.A. (physician assistant ) school over medical school.

I have heard a lot of positive things about P.A. school, and more and more bad things about becoming a physician.

Your thoughts...

If you are a female...PA is a good option if you are worried about a family, etc.

If you are a male...PA is not something I would ever consider. Might as well take up knitting. :laugh:

JMC_MarineCorps said:
If you are a female...PA is a good option if you are worried about a family, etc.

If you are a male...PA is not something I would ever consider. Might as well take up knitting. :laugh:

Thanks for the overly gender-stereotyped perspective. We always need more of those around here :p

Seriously, try and not depress the females around here. We like to believe we can balance both our careers and families, and not have to sacrifice one for the other. ;)

yposhelley said:
Seriously, try and not depress the females around here. We like to believe we can balance both our careers and families, and not have to sacrifice one for the other. ;)

It can be done!

I have a friend who wanted to go to medical school, but decided that since she wants to have a family she would rather do PA school. Doesn't make sense to me, though. It's possible to do both. Having a career does not make it impossible to raise a family. And being pregnant does not make you an invalid and incapable of treating patients during that time.

Just ask my mom who finished rounds after her water broke and walked herself down to L&D. :laugh:
Nor does being a woman make you the sole care taker of your family. Presumably you'd have a male counterpart to create these children and he'd be just as capable of watching them as you are.

yposhelley said:
Thanks for the overly gender-stereotyped perspective. We always need more of those around here :p

Sorry, it just comes out sometimes. Women have it tough, and I am not kidding. Women do it all, which can take a toll. Try keeping the house clean, feeding the family, helping the kids with homework all while trying to keep up with med school or worse with the hours of a resident. Possible? Yes. Practical? That's one for each of you to decide.

I have a family...my wife is trying to get into a nursing program. I know first-hand how much there is to juggle. Its exhausting. We have two girls, 7 and 3.

EMTLizzy said:
It can be done!

I have a friend who wanted to go to medical school, but decided that since she wants to have a family she would rather do PA school. Doesn't make sense to me, though. It's possible to do both. Having a career does not make it impossible to raise a family. And being pregnant does not make you an invalid and incapable of treating patients during that time.

Just ask my mom who finished rounds after her water broke and walked herself down to L&D. :laugh:
Nor does being a woman make you the sole care taker of your family. Presumably you'd have a male counterpart to create these children and he'd be just as capable of watching them as you are.

Right on sister! I never knew my mom when her face wasn't buried in a textbook after she came home from work. I feel like she set a good example of what you can do with yourself despite the odds. I feel empowered by her focus. That a woman should either have a career or a family is B.S.!

I have four brothers and sisters, most of them younger, when my mother started going to medical school when I was around 13. That was hard to juggle, but she gave me a wonderful example. Me, personally, I'm terrified to have kids, but I'm even more terrified to have them in medical school. I can hardly handle a needy boyfriend (just kidding honey), let alone an innocent child. But more power to all the women who are going to be tackling it during school. Don't ever let anyone tell you you should settle for less! Whew, its hard being a type A :laugh: