1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

D.O/MASTER DEGREE

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by aefdompa, Apr 1, 2000.

1. aefdompa

aefdompa Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello,
    What type of career opportunites are available to Osteopathic Family Physicians who hold Master's degrees. My degree will be a M.P.A in Health Care Adminstration. What about you?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Duo Degree

Duo Degree Member
    10+ Year Member

Depends on what you are interested in. Do you intend to practice medicine, work in administration or do a little of both? For the most part, having a masters degree doesnt mean that much. I think that having a masters degree merely allows you to say that you have had the theoretically information conveyed to you and that you may have a better grasp of certain concepts in healthcare. It's nice, but it doesn't mean that much unless you have experience as well. By the way, exactly why did you choose M.P.A. instead of more conventional degrees such as MPH and MHA degrees?

4. aefdompa

aefdompa Member
    10+ Year Member

I have about three and half years experience working for a managed care company and I choose a M.P.A because it is a nice blend of the M.B.A and M.P.H program. I'm not sure if I want to complete the program and dont know what to do at this point.

Managed care is not what I thought it would be. I'm very interested in preventive medicine,women health issues and dont really care about the business side. Maybe, I should stop and focus on getting into D.O school.

Does anyone have any suggestions or personal experiences that they are willing to share? Thanks.

5. Duo Degree

Duo Degree Member
    10+ Year Member

What kind of issues do you have? I have a couple of more months before I have my masters degree in healthcare administration. I'm then starting medical school this August with the intention of someday blending my two experiences. The executive program at my school is filled with doctors and healthcare administrative people. Most of the doctors that get their MHA want to understand what is happeniing to their career and feel the need for more control. Like I said before, the letters don't really mean much except it gives you some credibility with administration. If you go to a highly recognized, top graduate school then it also gives you some leverage in attaining better administrative roles later in your career. I was fortunate to have chosen a very good program that has a strong alumni network. In administration...it's all about who you know!

why would you want to quit your MPA program now? how long is it? and how much further do you have? I think most medical schools don't look too highly upon applicants who quit their graduate school in order to go to medical school. Most would prefer that you complete the masters program...thats why I deferred a year of medical school. Good luck.

6. aefdompa

aefdompa Member
    10+ Year Member

It is a 48 credit program and at the end of the semester, I would have completed 15 credits.

Initially, I wanted to become a physician executive but I dont like how patients are treated in the managed care system. Everyone is more concerned with bottom line and not providing quality care.

You were right on the money when you said that it's who you know. I dont want to be apart of the political nonsense that goes on in my company. I want to provide direct patient care and play a role in preserving health. I'm so happy that I rediscovered osteopathic medicine and maybe a M.S in Clinical Nutrition would coincide with my interests and career goals.

I see people everyday who are trapped in their profession because they waited too long to pursue other interests. Money is a terrible reason to keep a job you hate. Believe me, I know.

At the same time, I believe health care expenditures have to be reduced but not at the patients expense. What are views regarding cost effective medicine? Do you think that it is possible to achieve? I'm not convinced.

7. aefdompa

aefdompa Member
    10+ Year Member

I looked into the M.S in Clinical Nutrition and they require some prereqs that I have not taken. I guess I can get what I want from the D.O degree. NYCOM offers a couple of nutrition courses as apart of the curriculum.

There are many people who completed this program and now are in very high positions. I dont have to be a physician administrator. Maybe, I can investigate consulting opportunties and maybe work with administrators in trying to achieve cost effective medicine.

I'm not a quitter, just a little disillusioned with things. Thanks for your advice.