D.o/mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jonathan13180

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone out there a D.O/MBA student at PCOM? Im interested in the combined program...how feasible is it, and how hard is it to get accepted to both? Thanks.
 
you probably wont find anyone here that you are specifically looking for, theres not enough traffic in this forum. is there a website detailing the program? are there any advisors to speak with about these questions? does pcom have a business school? DO mba programs are something i dont know a thing about. anyway, i dont like seeing threads with 0 replies, so ive done what i can.
 
Thanks man (woman), i was feeling pretty lonely there...i realized after i posted that the question might be too specific.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jonathan13180 said:
Anyone out there a D.O/MBA student at PCOM? Im interested in the combined program...how feasible is it, and how hard is it to get accepted to both? Thanks.
glancing at the program not a bad deal if you ask me. Its a pretty standard program. As well as St. Joe's is a good school. I had a visiting prof last summer from St. Joe's teach a marketing class. He was awesome. Shute was his name so if you have a chance to take one of his classes, I recommend him.

If you want a business perspective I'd say go for it. Its only 13 classes max (if you didnt have a business math but maybe you did). My program was 20 classes and i will graduate after taking 22 I think. Good luck
 
My school's DO/MBA is between the second and third year. PCOM's program seems creative in that they find a way for you to not interrupt the transition from basic sciences to clinicals or clinicals to residency, which is good.

I doubt you'd have a problem getting into the program, especially if you do well first year. Keep in mind that you don't need the GMAT with the combined program (saving time and money), so it's probably better to do the MBA in med school rather than later.

As far as taking business with second year classes I have no clue, since I just finished first year. Overall, I see any dual degree DO/MBA program as a great opportunity.
 
Jonathan, PCOM's MBA program was great! I'm no longer a student at PCOM, I transferred to LSU School of Medicine; however, I did complete the MBA program last spring before transferring. Professors were really understanding at both schools. This program will expose you to the business aspect of medicne. It did require a lot of discilpine, so don't sleep or take the program for granted; garbage in, garbage out. The prerequisite classes are just that, but the latter part of the program affords you the opportunity to learn from some of the industry's finest. If you have never presented a power point presentation, get your creative skills together; I promise you this will help you when rounding with attendings, during your clinical years. Finally, MD/MBA or DO/MBA candidates have more bargaining power when it comes down to contract negotiations (ie. salaries); you'll learn this at the end.
 
i want to be a FP operating my own practice. will an MBA really help me that much? i have already run a successful computer business on my own. i read about all of the laws, marketing, profits, costs, etc. it all came mostly natural to me and i did fine. do you really think i should get the mba? kcumb offers one with rockhurst university. it looks like a nice program but kind of expensive.

any thoughts? thanks!
 
espbeliever said:
i want to be a FP operating my own practice. will an MBA really help me that much? i have already run a successful computer business on my own. i read about all of the laws, marketing, profits, costs, etc. it all came mostly natural to me and i did fine. do you really think i should get the mba? kcumb offers one with rockhurst university. it looks like a nice program but kind of expensive.

any thoughts? thanks!
And MBA with a finance track really could help you out with an adequate program. You can learn how accounting/finance structures work, as well as cost and budget analysis which are vital in your field. I believe if you are running a business you need to know what you are talking about. So I'm BIG on the joint degree with an MBA because I think some doctors have NO idea how to run a practice then have their managers doing everything and then when big decisions come up you have NO idea but to trust someone else to make the decisions. Depends on your comfortability factor in that. If its your practice, I would take an interest in that. JMHO.
 
As the president of my college says (he's a DO/MBA), an MBA will help you in so much more than just balancing your books. It will help you in all areas of your medical practice and personal finance. He says it will change the way you think of operating business and managing money (but if you're already highly adept at it, it might not do much for you). I see family practice and MBA going along perfectly together. What a great specialty in which to have the DO/MBA. I wouldn't doubt that completing an MBA will help you out in medicine and your computer business. I would imagine it would give you another perspective on overall management. 👍
 
osucomdustin said:
I see family practice and MBA going along perfectly together. What a great specialty in which to have the DO/MBA.

Family practice or internal medicine is what I'm interested in doing. I have some management background with a management minor in college. By the end of medical school and after residency, if I wanted to run my own practice, I think I need to know more strategies and inside scope of the management world. So, I'm thinking about taking some classes on management or go to the extreme and spend another year and a half for a M.B.A. degree. Not primarily aiming to get "another degree", I just want to be more knowledgeable in this field so that I can run my practice with ease instead of hiring a manager.

If I really want to do that, since my school does not offer a joint D.O./M.B.A. program, will spending another year or so at another school be worth the while? Or, should I be like Shaq and obtain his M.B.A. with Univ. of Phx?
 
osucomdustin said:
My school's DO/MBA is between the second and third year. PCOM's program seems creative in that they find a way for you to not interrupt the transition from basic sciences to clinicals or clinicals to residency, which is good.

I doubt you'd have a problem getting into the program, especially if you do well first year. Keep in mind that you don't need the GMAT with the combined program (saving time and money), so it's probably better to do the MBA in med school rather than later.

As far as taking business with second year classes I have no clue, since I just finished first year. Overall, I see any dual degree DO/MBA program as a great opportunity.
Is the GMAT not required for all of the combined programs, or is that unique to the PCOM/St. Joes program?
 
bbas said:
Is the GMAT not required for all of the combined programs, or is that unique to the PCOM/St. Joes program?
Its program specific but most programs I've heard of will accept MCAT in lieu of GMAT. But I don't know for all programs. Every program I've heard of does so I suggest you check the websites/prgs. (Sometimes usually its says LSAT will be taken in lieu of GMAT as well if there is a joint degree heavily advertised - therefore MCAT I believe would be taken, but as stated, check with programs.) If you go to the schools website usually it would tell you if you need the GMAT or not.