D.O. - Need Step 3 to Apply For Cardio Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into IM - OMS-III
Taken already - Step 1, Comlex 1, USMLE Step 2CK, Comlex 2 CE, Comlex 2 PE

Do I need USMLE step 2 cs and step 3 to apply for a fellowship? I wasn't planning on taking these....

Members don't see this ad.

Going into IM - OMS-III
Taken already - Step 1, Comlex 1, USMLE Step 2CK, Comlex 2 CE, Comlex 2 PE

Do I need USMLE step 2 cs and step 3 to apply for a fellowship? I wasn't planning on taking these....

Lol a bit too early to be thinking about taking Step 3 for fellowship. You generally take this during intern year and you cannot register for the exam until after you graduate medical school. Also, if considering cardiology which is one of the most competitive along with gastroenterology, realize you will be competing with many other MD's who will have Step 3 as well. Though Step 3 isn't viewed as strongly as Step 1/Step 2 CK, it would not look great if you barely pass it.

Conclusion: Step 3 may not be required to apply, but know that many other applicants will have taken it and passed it (with average or above average scores).

OP very very few DOs take step 3, of which you need to take all previous steps to sit (look how many DOs take CS a year...)

Maybe reach out to an alumnus from your school who is in cards to ask. I’m positive they would be more than willing to lend some advice. I’d also bet my house you don’t find a single one who suggests taking CS and subsequently step 3.

GL!

Reactions: 1 user