D.O School Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EH123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm new to SDN but I have been reading a lot of different posts to get an idea of what my chances are for getting into med school. So far, I have applied to 18 D.O schools (D.O is just a personal preference). I'm still in the secondary application phase so I haven't heard anything back yet...don't expect to until October. Anyway...my stats are below..

GPA: 3.6
SGPA: 3.2 (somewhere in that range...)
MCAT: 21 which is dreadful so I retook it...will find out my new score Oct 15th. ALL of my practice tests were 24-26 (which is considered "competitive" for D.O schools) so I dont know why I sucked so bad on the real thing...

I have over 1200 volunteer hours, including a medical missions trip to Nicaragua where I had some direct patient care. I know basic French and Spanish. I have worked full time and have gone to school full time for my entire college career in order to support myself. I have leadership experience, and because I majored in health science, I have a lot of knowledge about public health/preventative care. I had a well written personal statement. I had a doc read it and said dont change a thing. Possibly useless info: I grew up in a VERY rural community (<500 people) so at least one school has considered that a "disadvantage". I dont know if this means anything but of my 4 other siblings, only 2 of us graduated high school and I was the only one to pursue college (although parents did go to college) so I dont know if that is considered a disadvantage either.

I'm pretty stressed about my MCAT score. My work wouldnt let me have the day off before the test...I felt like a zombie walking out of the testing center because I was so exhausted! So I quit my job after that and took the only time I had (approx 3 weeks) to study like a crazy person and retake/hope for the best. I felt WAY better after the retake but the longer I wait the more nervous I get.

Anyway...most of that is probably irrelevant but someone please read it and tell me if I have any chances :) MSU is my #1 choice (I am a mich resident). A friend of mine at MSUCOM says one of his classmates got in with a 21...obviously hoping for better with the retake but still it sorta made me feel better.

OK!! Let the (hopefully kind) opinions begin!

Members don't see this ad.

OH let me also say this: My most recent science classes (biochemistry, micro, neuro anatomy) I have gotten a 4.0. The neuro class was mixed with grad students. It was a cadaver class and I did better than most of the grad students. Also, I was taking summer classes when I took the MCAT the first time (physics 1 and 2 accelerated online...yeah....perhaps not the smartest choice). Anyway I already know my MCAT sucks. Just wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat or if someone has an opinion about my situation :)

If you can score int he mid 20s this time (at the lowest), then I'd say you have a decent chance at some, but not all programs. Mine looks at avg MCAT score, so, say, a 23, would get you rejected.

Good luck!

I'm new to SDN but I have been reading a lot of different posts to get an idea of what my chances are for getting into med school. So far, I have applied to 18 D.O schools (D.O is just a personal preference). I'm still in the secondary application phase so I haven't heard anything back yet...don't expect to until October. Anyway...my stats are below..

MCAT: 21 which is dreadful so I retook it...will find out my new score Oct 15th. ALL of my practice tests were 24-26 (which is considered "competitive" for D.O schools) so I dont know why I sucked so bad on the real thing...

I have over 1200 volunteer hours, including a medical missions trip to Nicaragua where I had some direct patient care. I know basic French and Spanish. I have worked full time and have gone to school full time for my entire college career in order to support myself. I have leadership experience, and because I majored in health science, I have a lot of knowledge about public health/preventative care. I had a well written personal statement. I had a doc read it and said dont change a thing. Possibly useless info: I grew up in a VERY rural community (<500 people) so at least one school has considered that a "disadvantage". I dont know if this means anything but of my 4 other siblings, only 2 of us graduated high school and I was the only one to pursue college (although parents did go to college) so I dont know if that is considered a disadvantage either.

I'm pretty stressed about my MCAT score. My work wouldnt let me have the day off before the test...I felt like a zombie walking out of the testing center because I was so exhausted! So I quit my job after that and took the only time I had (approx 3 weeks) to study like a crazy person and retake/hope for the best. I felt WAY better after the retake but the longer I wait the more nervous I get.

Anyway...most of that is probably irrelevant but someone please read it and tell me if I have any chances :) MSU is my #1 choice (I am a mich resident). A friend of mine at MSUCOM says one of his classmates got in with a 21...obviously hoping for better with the retake but still it sorta made me feel better.

Members don't see this ad :)
23+ should get you into one of the newer schools (like LUCOM, LMU, CUSOM, etc.)

23+ should get you into one of the newer schools (like LUCOM, LMU, CUSOM, etc.)

CUSOM and LUCOM wont even let me fill out a secondary unless I have a 24 :/ So Im hoping for a 24-25 on the retake.

Why do people say that "do is my personal preference" when they clearly don't have stats for MD?

Why do people say that "do is my personal preference" when they clearly don't have stats for MD?

Umm...because it really is my personal preference? I strongly believe in the philosophy of osteopathic medicine not to mention I have been surrounded by D.O's my whole life. Do you have anything that is actually useful that you would like to add to the conversation?

24-26 is not competitive for DO. 27 is the average. Combined with your lower than average science gpa, you need 28+ to be competitive.

Going into the exam thinking that you will score 24-26 is a good indicator that you were't ready. Therefore, don't bank on scoring anything above 26.

That being said, you have already submitted your application so there's no point of criticizing you. Let's hope that you did better on the actual test than you were doing on the practice.

Good luck!

Thanks! And I know even a 24-26 wont be that competitive for most schools. Im hoping for some of the newer programs although my 2 friends at MSUCOM said with my stats the minimum I needed to get for them to take me was a 23. Their average is much higher than that but they said that because I am a mich resident and because they look very closely at volunteer experience I should have a pretty good shot. I also know one of the head docs who said he would put in a good word for me with the admissions director (woo hoo!). My GPA over the last few semesters has been more like 3.8+. And good point....no reason really to criticize my shortcomings at this point now that I have applied and spent a million dollars. I will be sure to follow up with the new MCAT score and if I get any phone calls :). If nothing happens this year, I will be getting a job in the healthcare field and do some research projects while working on my masters in bio....and in worst case scenario....retake the MCAT for a third and final time. If I get a 26 though I wont even bother. Thats the average mcat according to many of the individual schools' website.

CUSOM and LUCOM wont even let me fill out a secondary unless I have a 24 :/ So Im hoping for a 24-25 on the retake.
Are you serious? CUSOM and LUCOM have a 24 MCAT screen?

Yeah :( Seems a little crazy considering they are both brand new schools. I was really considering CUSOM because of their international medicine track. If I get a 24+ on the retake I will be submitting an app there.

Yeah :( Seems a little crazy considering they are both brand new schools. I was really considering CUSOM because of their international medicine track. If I get a 24+ on the retake I will be submitting an app there.
Your practice tests were 24-26, so don't lose hope. More likely than not you'll score in that range.

24-26 is not competitive for DO. 27 is the average. Combined with your lower than average science gpa, you need 28+ to be competitive.

Going into the exam thinking that you will score 24-26 is a good indicator that you were't ready. Therefore, don't bank on scoring anything above 26.

That being said, you have already submitted your application so there's no point of criticizing you. Let's hope that you did better on the actual test than you were doing on the practice.

Good luck!

3.2+/3.2+/24+ is competitive

Members don't see this ad :)
3.2+/3.2+/24+ is competitive

I like your optimism, but in reality unless you're an URM or have something that makes you stand out between the crowd 3.2/24 will NOT grant you as many interviews as you would like.

I have 3.35/28. I was flat rejected from LECOM Bradenton and ATSU. On pre-interview hold at AZCOM and WVSOM. Didn't get a response from KCUMB or LECOM Erie. I had everything submitted on Day 1. Good letters, decent research experience, and a cool comeback story.

I like your optimism, but in reality unless you're an URM or have something that makes you stand out between the crowd 3.2/24 will NOT grant you as many interviews as you would like.

I have 3.35/28. I was flat rejected from LECOM Bradenton and ATSU. On pre-interview hold at AZCOM and WVSOM. Didn't get a response from KCUMB or LECOM Erie. I had everything submitted on Day 1. Good letters, decent research experience, and a cool comeback story.

Post back on this thread if you get accepted to any of your pre-interview schools! Or I guess let me know either way :) What other EC's did you have? Good luck!

I know it wont get me many interviews. Of the 18 schools (plus 4 others if my mcat is a 24+), I am hoping to get 3 interviews and be accepted to one. I am great in interviews :) and I only need ONE acceptance! I dont even care which one it is as long as I get one! :) I feel that me being trilingual is one of my major selling points, plus my volunteer experience. A lot of DO schools say a competitive MCAT starts at a 24 but they consider other aspects of the application as well. I hope my other aspects look REALLY good to admissions :|

Post back on this thread if you get accepted to any of your pre-interview schools! Or I guess let me know either way :) What other EC's did you have? Good luck!

I know it wont get me many interviews. Of the 18 schools (plus 4 others if my mcat is a 24+), I am hoping to get 3 interviews and be accepted to one. I am great in interviews :) and I only need ONE acceptance! I dont even care which one it is as long as I get one! :) I feel that me being trilingual is one of my major selling points, plus my volunteer experience. A lot of DO schools say a competitive MCAT starts at a 24 but they consider other aspects of the application as well. I hope my other aspects look REALLY good to admissions :|

I'm sorry to report that I was just placed on the alternate list after my interview at Nova. So much for the "3.2+/3.2+/24+ is competitive" :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to report that I was just placed on the alternate list after my interview at Nova. So much for the "3.2+/3.2+/24+ is competitive" :rolleyes:

Hey that's better than nothing! You're one step further than the other 4000 applicants. Like one article said, "good things come to those who are wait-listed"! :) chin up and post more if you have any updates. Even if you are accepted in march it's still an acceptance :)

I've noticed too that DO school has been changing a lot the last 2 years. Things have become very competitive for the better colleges. There's basically 2 tiers now: Top = Publics + Established Privates vs bottom = the newer schools. In the top schools it is becoming increasingly worthless to apply under a 3.3/25 where competitive begins at 3.5/27. Note that by competitive I mean desirable for schools while those that sit at 3.3/25 to 3.5/27 are simply adequate. I think a lot of it is our current economy and the caribbean taking a hit from bad press (due to them being bad).

Dang, That sucks.

At the VERY least, you have a wait list at Nova. Deff better than a rejection.

Did you apply to any of the newer schools?

Hey that's better than nothing! You're one step further than the other 4000 applicants. Like one article said, "good things come to those who are wait-listed"! :) chin up and post more if you have any updates. Even if you are accepted in march it's still an acceptance :)

Thank you for the encouragement!

Dang, That sucks.

At the VERY least, you have a wait list at Nova. Deff better than a rejection.

Did you apply to any of the newer schools?

Yeah, only to Marian and I have an interview there. I feel very upset about Nova since I truly fell in love with that school. I hope it's not the end of the road for me at that awesome school.

I've noticed too that DO school has been changing a lot the last 2 years. Things have become very competitive for the better colleges. There's basically 2 tiers now: Top = Publics + Established Privates vs bottom = the newer schools. In the top schools it is becoming increasingly worthless to apply under a 3.3/25 where competitive begins at 3.5/27. Note that by competitive I mean desirable for schools while those that sit at 3.3/25 to 3.5/27 are simply adequate. I think a lot of it is our current economy and the caribbean taking a hit from bad press (due to them being bad).

I agree. Back when I first started reading SDN (in 2008), 3.3/25 was competitive. Starting in 2010, DO schools entered a new era of competitiveness.

What the hell, man. My stats aren't much better than yours either. So much for 27-29 mcat scores being "competitive" for DO schools. :mad:

In any case, good luck to you. I hope we can look back at this in ~8 months and laugh at how anxious we were!

What the hell, man. My stats aren't much better than yours either. So much for 27-29 mcat scores being "competitive" for DO schools. :mad:

In any case, good luck to you. I hope we can look back at this in ~8 months and laugh at how anxious we were!

relax..he has 3 other interviews from what I know (Marian, Western, and Touro-Ca). Everyone and their mother, nearly, that just interviewed at NSU seems to have been waitlisted. and it is still very early.

Whether you graduate from PCOM or KYCOM, you will be a DO with access to all the same residencies. The "tier" of your school matters very little in the long run. All this pining over "established"-ness is silly.

A DO school is a DO school. 3.2+/3.2+/24+ and applying broadly to all the newer ones should get you in somewhere. who cares if you only get into less established schools, they will still lead you to the same destination!

Last edited:
Whether you graduate from PCOM or KYCOM, you will be a DO with access to all the same residencies. The "tier" of your school matters very little in the long run. All this pining over "established"-ness is silly.

A DO school is a DO school. 3.2+/3.2+/24+ and applying broadly to all the newer ones should get you in somewhere. who cares if you only get into less established schools, they will still lead you to the same destination!
The issue goes further than that. More established schools have better clinical rotations and access to other resources. Their board pass rates are typically higher and have their act put together very well. Besides, what you say about residency is not completely true. Those that want residency in the Northeast are better served by going to PCOM and its known reputation that then are by graduating from a school in Kentucky. Also, it depends where you want to live. You can't compare 4 years in philadelphia to 4 years in kentucky. Sure, apply broadly, but there's more to medical schools than just the ability to land a residency.

I think a lot of it is our current economy and the caribbean taking a hit from bad press (due to them being bad).

Speaking of Caribbean schools, what's so bad about SGU? 97% first time usmle pass rate, 90-99% match rate for US students, it's half the tuition, and after the first 2 yrs of school you go back to the states for years 3 & 4. SGU has been around for 35yrs and seems like a pretty legit school. I personally am considering doing medicine internationally. SGU is accredited by a half million other countries. Plus you live in Grenada :)

I know that all other 60+ Caribbean schools are crap except maybe Ross. But SGU sounds like its worth a second glance, and because of the growing physician shortage the negative stigma surrounding Caribbean docs is fading. Opinions??

Speaking of Caribbean schools, what's so bad about SGU? 97% first time usmle pass rate, 90-99% match rate for US students, it's half the tuition, and after the first 2 yrs of school you go back to the states for years 3 & 4. SGU has been around for 35yrs and seems like a pretty legit school. I personally am considering doing medicine internationally. SGU is accredited by a half million other countries. Plus you live in Grenada :)

I know that all other 60+ Caribbean schools are crap except maybe Ross. But SGU sounds like its worth a second glance, and because of the growing physician shortage the negative stigma surrounding Caribbean docs is fading. Opinions??
Oh boy, that would be a discussion that would take forever. It has been discussed ad nauseum and would recommend that you search the forums for in-depth information that has statistical hard evidence backing that the caribbean is a poor option.

In short, don't believe everything you hear. 50% of those that enter don't make it past their first 2 years. Those high pass rates on usmle boards is because they hand a test to people that's nearly identical that they must pass before they are allowed to take the real USMLE. Only 45% of those that apply for residency get in with the bulk going to primary care, not by choice but because they don't have another option. Debt is significantly higher as things like milk will cost >$7 a gallon and they have a scheme of multiple "semesters" that add up to more each year. Accreditation internationally is lower than osteopathic colleges and respect for caribbean graduates is diminishing as more people realize that osteopathic is a better option. Living in Grenada doesn't sound appealing to me, but to each their own.

Well for anyone who cares (which may only be me, lol but anyway...) I retook the MCAT, got a 23, and I have been accepted to Liberty University :D!!!! I am a christian so the fact that this is a christian med school is pretty awesome! Plus the area is great and the campus (on the outside so far!) is gorgeous. I have another interview at LMDCOM but I think I will politely decline. Liberty is pretty much my dream school :) Anyway best of luck to the rest of you if you are still waiting on an acceptance! And congrats to all of those who have already received the great news :)

Reactions: 2 users
Well for anyone who cares (which may only be me, lol but anyway...) I retook the MCAT, got a 23, and I have been accepted to Liberty University :D!!!! I am a christian so the fact that this is a christian med school is pretty awesome! Plus the area is great and the campus (on the outside so far!) is gorgeous. I have another interview at LMDCOM but I think I will politely decline. Liberty is pretty much my dream school :) Anyway best of luck to the rest of you if you are still waiting on an acceptance! And congrats to all of those who have already received the great news :)

I am not trying to discredit you but you said earlier they screen out anyone below a 24. Was there a mistake somewhere??

Reactions: 1 user
I am not trying to discredit you but you said earlier they screen out anyone below a 24. Was there a mistake somewhere??

That's what I originally thought. Both websites said a competitive score started at 24. I think liberty has a 22 screen and I think their website states that now. Not sure about Campbell I guess I assume theirs is 22 as well but it may also be 23.

That's what I originally thought. Both websites said a competitive score started at 24. I think liberty has a 22 screen and I think their website states that now. Not sure about Campbell I guess I assume theirs is 22 as well but it may also be 23.

did LUCOM know you were christian??

did LUCOM know you were christian??

Yes I talked about my faith in the interview. It was the first place I felt comfortable doing so.

Yes I talked about my faith in the interview. It was the first place I felt comfortable doing so.

Did they ask you directly about your faith or did you bring it up when it was appropriate??

Did they ask you directly about your faith or did you bring it up when it was appropriate??
I brought it up when they asked me why I wanted to be a doctor. I've been on a medical missions trip so I talked about how that influenced me. I've always had a heart for missions. Liberty's mission is to educate in a Christian environment and one of their values is commitment to Christianity. I talked about how my mission and values complimented those of the school's and how liberty was the perfect fit for me.

Regarding the caribbean schools, you have to keep in mind that you are looked at as a foreign graduate. Not saying that it is a bad thing, but it is an obstacle. I interviewed with 2 guys who did 1 year at Ross and SGU and they said that their upperclassmen were having trouble getting residencies in the US. This is more than likely due to the increase in medical schools and no real increase in residency positions. If you can get into an american school, you will have a much better chance at getting the residency you want than caribbean. I know caribbean grads in competitive residencies at big hospitals, but they were very, very shiny stars with great backgrounds. I also know a lot of DO's who have the Ivy League residencies and are the cheifs of the program. Main point: work hard and get good scores, you can do what you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. But if your dream is to be a doc and US schools don't see your potential, one of the four top Carib schools are a good back up plan. Just be prepared to work harder!

Agreed. But if your dream is to be a doc and US schools don't see your potential, one of the four top Carib schools are a good back up plan. Just be prepared to work harder!
Are you christian (episcopal, protestant, etc) or are you catholic christian? Did you make it clear what kind of christian you were/did they ask you??

Are you christian (episcopal, protestant, etc) or are you catholic christian? Did you make it clear what kind of christian you were/did they ask you??
I've basically only gone to private catholic schools (grade school up to college). An interviewer stated that he was catholic and did the same thing and wondered if I practiced (it was more a small talk interview question). I told him that I have been non-practicing. That was basically the only thing that came up about religion towards me. I think people put too much stock into "It's a Christian school for Christians only!" Yes, it is a Christian school, but it is the principle of how to act towards others and not "we are going to brainwash everyone who enters and no heathens allowed." I believe that there were Muslims interviewing at the same time I was and I believe that some non-christians have been accepted... but don't quote me on that. Check out the LUCOM 2013-2014 forum on SDN.

I am baptist but no it never came up in the interview. We didn't really go into detail about it

I told them that my husband was attending their online school and was working on his masters of divinity, so Im sure they assumed

I've basically only gone to private catholic schools (grade school up to college). An interviewer stated that he was catholic and did the same thing and wondered if I practiced (it was more a small talk interview question). I told him that I have been non-practicing. That was basically the only thing that came up about religion towards me. I think people put too much stock into "It's a Christian school for Christians only!" Yes, it is a Christian school, but it is the principle of how to act towards others and not "we are going to brainwash everyone who enters and no heathens allowed." I believe that there were Muslims interviewing at the same time I was and I believe that some non-christians have been accepted... but don't quote me on that. Check out the LUCOM 2013-2014 forum on SDN.
Exactly. No the school is not for Christians only. When I interviewed, they said about 30% of accepted students were not Christian. They don't plan on brainwashing anyone lol or even pushing Christianity on the students with other beliefs. So I agree with your thread, and yes I believe there were a few students who mentioned that they had a different religion (muslim, etc) that were accepted. Don't worry if you are not a Christian and you have an interview at LUCOM. They won't use that against you. BUT the school's motto is "Training champions for Christ", and I was told specifically in the interview by the dean that they are a Christian school, not just based on Christian morals. My understanding is that no, you won't be rejected just for being a different religion, but yes, they do intend to stick to their motto. Most if not all of the profs are Christian so I am sure that Christianity will be incorporated but not necessarily taught. Does this make sense? lol.

What's this mean? you are christian but you don't go to church regularly?? Sorry, very unfamiliar with religion.
Like EH said, glad they sound very accepting though!

I don't go to church and believe in the catholic values.