D.O. vs M.D. salary difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yousafob

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current 1st year osteopathic med student and was wondering if there was a salary difference between ER doctors who have M.D. or D.O. degrees? I don't believe there should be a salary difference between MD/DO whom practice the same medicine, otherwise that would be discrimination but I just wanted to double check.

Also, do hospitals tend to hire ER physicians with M.D.s as compared to D.O. or does the degree not even matter?

How hard/easy is it to get a job in the ER in high metropolitan states such as CA (is there a shortage of ER docs everywhere)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current 1st year osteopathic med student and was wondering if there was a salary difference between ER doctors who have M.D. or D.O. degrees?
No.
Also, do hospitals tend to hire ER physicians with M.D.s as compared to D.O. or does the degree not even matter?
Most EPs aren't hired by hospitals. We work for contract groups. Some groups hire both. Some groups don't hire DOs and there are some groups that are almost exclusively DOs. It has to do with the hiring preferences of the senior partners or whoever does the hiring for the group.
How hard/easy is it to get a job in the ER in high metropolitan states such as CA (is there a shortage of ER docs everywhere)?
It is harder to get jobs in places that are highly desirable as you'd expect.

No.

Most EPs aren't hired by hospitals. We work for contract groups. Some groups hire both. Some groups don't hire DOs and there are some groups that are almost exclusively DOs. It has to do with the hiring preferences of the senior partners or whoever does the hiring for the group.

It is harder to get jobs in places that are highly desirable as you'd expect.

How hard is it to get ER work in the Rustbelt cities, Pitt, Fort Wayne, Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am a current 1st year osteopathic med student and was wondering if there was a salary difference between ER doctors who have M.D. or D.O. degrees?

DO's are paid in pesos.

When I signed my contract (i'm a DO), they told me I'd be making 10,000,000,000. Alas, I didn't notice the Z$ in front, and that the contract would be paid in Zimbabwean currency. Sadly, that 10,000,000,000 only bought me an egg. I feel hosed.

And realistically, no, there is no difference in pay.

Any osteopaths can correct me on this one, but it seems like the main thing is to get into an EM residency, you may have to take (and do well on) the allopathic USMLE exams.

I am certain there are EM programs out there that take the COMLEX as well, but there are others that require the USMLE.

As for the job search, you mention CA. Certain states (more accurately, communities) are highly desirable to live in. These communities are generally more difficult to get jobs in, and along with that comes a trade off, usually less pay, or more hours, etc. More desirable community = more supply = less demand = less desirable contract/pay.

Any osteopaths can correct me on this one, but it seems like the main thing is to get into an EM residency, you may have to take (and do well on) the allopathic USMLE exams.

I am certain there are EM programs out there that take the COMLEX as well, but there are others that require the USMLE.

As for the job search, you mention CA. Certain states (more accurately, communities) are highly desirable to live in. These communities are generally more difficult to get jobs in, and along with that comes a trade off, usually less pay, or more hours, etc. More desirable community = more supply = less demand = less desirable contract/pay.

you can do a DO EM residency and get good training too. And no need for the USMLE.

you can do a DO EM residency and get good training too. And no need for the USMLE.

Is there any bias towards Osteopathic residency trained EM docs vs Allopathic residency trained EM docs as a resident starts applying for jobs? I understand that most DO EM hospitals are not major trauma centers, and don't offer as much diversity as a big allopathic hospitals, but will this have any effect on job offers.. For me its more logical regionally to apply and get into DO EM residencies since there are so many in my state (MI), and all are really good training sites. I am just curious how potential employers will see me being trained from an osteopathic place.

Is there any bias towards Osteopathic residency trained EM docs vs Allopathic residency trained EM docs as a resident starts applying for jobs? I understand that most DO EM hospitals are not major trauma centers, and don't offer as much diversity as a big allopathic hospitals, but will this have any effect on job offers.. For me its more logical regionally to apply and get into DO EM residencies since there are so many in my state (MI), and all are really good training sites. I am just curious how potential employers will see me being trained from an osteopathic place.

Absolutely not.

Reactions: 1 user

I never took the USMLE, only the COMPLEX and matched into an allopathic EM residency. Some programs may prefer you to take the USMLE, but plenty don't.

DO and MD same paid same.

Wook

Reactions: 1 user