D.P.T. or M.P.T.

Started by mtm34
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mtm34

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I was hoping to get some feedback and see what everyone thinks- I have applications in to a few DPT programs and 1 MPT program. I live in Pa which has tough instate prices so all the dpt schools are about 60-80k all said and done while the MPT program would be about 30. The idea of getting an mpt while all my peers are getting their doctorate weirds me out but I know there are t-DPT programs everywhere and you can probally get someone to pay for it...? Feel free to give me whatever opinion or feedback you may have on the topic I appreciate it.
 
Hey I was hoping to get some feedback and see what everyone thinks- I have applications in to a few DPT programs and 1 MPT program. I live in Pa which has tough instate prices so all the dpt schools are about 60-80k all said and done while the MPT program would be about 30. The idea of getting an mpt while all my peers are getting their doctorate weirds me out but I know there are t-DPT programs everywhere and you can probally get someone to pay for it...? Feel free to give me whatever opinion or feedback you may have on the topic I appreciate it.

you can get your tDPT later and have your employer pay for it.
 
I think there are a bunch of threads about this topic, so check out those threads as well. I personally chose an MPT because the tuition and I liked the school. I don't know if ALL the extra cost of a DPT, compared to an MPT, can be justified. Some of that extra cost seems to be only paying for the title.

Anyways, I'm sure there are people that think a DPT worth the extra cost, so I'd like to hear some different opnions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
at work now, so can't search until I get home but is there a big difference in the schooling between MPT and DPT other than cost?
 
I've talked to a couple of Duke DPT graduates (27k/yr) who do not regret their student loan debt at all. I've also talked to PT employers that would hire a DPT student from Duke or UNC (where I applied) over an MPT student.

In addition to cost, consider the reputation of the school, the resources, the community connections, and where you want to live/work after graduation. If you want to live in the town with the MPT program, then it would be wise to go to school there and meet clinicians in the area while still in school. If you want to move across the country to work, then a reputable school with a big name would be a wise choice.

That being said, doing a residency or a tDPT after getting an MPT would look good and could be the economical way to go if you don't mind spending the extra time. A note though - I think at least some tDPT programs require some professional experience before applying.
 
at work now, so can't search until I get home but is there a big difference in the schooling between MPT and DPT other than cost?

According to the APTA the breadth and depth of topics covered in PT school has been increased.

APTA: Is the graduate of a professional (entry-level) DPT program more competent than the graduate of a professional (entry-level) BSPT or MPT program? Some APTA members believe that this may be the case because of the augmented didactic component and the extended, more mentored clinical education experience. However, there are insufficient data to demonstrate any correlation between the DPT and higher levels of clinical competence or improved treatment outcomes. Moreover, it would appear that there are no major economic advantages to the DPT.
In the absence of compelling data, perhaps the more important question for any physical therapist should be: "How can the physical therapy profession position itself to accommodate the changing expectations for practice and the changing health care environment in a future that is entirely uncertain?" The answer for some physical therapists will include acquiring a "transition" DPT; for others, the DPT will not offer sufficient benefit.


They don't put up a very good argument for the DPT in my opinion. There is no economical benefit. They state on this website that practicing PT's will never have to get the DPT to practice. However, they also make some references in their 2020 vision for the PT profession statement that by the year 2020 they want to see the DPT as the standard for practicing physical therapists.

APTA: What is the difference between a professional (entry-level) DPT program and a professional (entry-level) MPT program? The length of the majority of DPT programs is three years. Based on a recent informal survey, accredited and transitioning DPT programs have augmented the breadth and depth of content in the professional (entry-level) program. The specific augmented content areas include, among others, health systems screening and differential diagnosis, pharmacology, radiology/imaging, health care management, prevention/wellness/health promotion, histology, and pathology. In addition, the final or culminating clinical education experience is typically extended beyond the average of 15 weeks; some are 1 year in length.

Because of the particular content that is augmented in the DPT it appears to me that the goal is to produce PTs with a better foundational knowledge in diagnosis, and ability to recognize when the patient needs to be treated by other medical professionals. I think increasing depth and breadth of these areas of study should make the graduating PT more autonomous within health care team. This would coincide with the APTA's goal of achieving Direct Access to patients in all states.

This information was gathered at the APTA website under FAQ for DPT
http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...ID=62334&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm#BM11
 
Last edited: