1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

D.s.m 4

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Knicks, May 25, 2008.

1. Knicks

7+ Year Member

For many, topics like biochem makes them want to vomit.

I don't know about most people here, but the thought of the DSM IV and/or psychiatry makes me wanna gouge my eyes out. (even typing 'DSM IV' is enough to make me hurl).

So my question is, although not everyone gets tested on all topics equally since everyone's test is different, but OVERALL, how much emphasis should we place on the DSM IV (personality/psychiatric disorders) during our exam preparation?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. agranulocytosis

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't spend too much time with that crap. For the most part, I feel as though the behavioral and personality disorders are straight forward, except for the timings of things like schizophreniform vs schizophrenia and acute stress disorder vs PTSD, etc. I think major key points to go over are defense mechanisms, the Kubler-Ross model thing about death and grief and maaaaaybe the differentials of timings of disorders like I stated above. And of course ethics.

And if you're talking about the ACTUAL DSM, forget it. I have not seen one single question in any Qbank asking about which axis something belongs to.

4. Knicks

7+ Year Member

^^ Thanks for your input.

And no, I wasn't referring to the actual DSM IV, but rather the DSM IV sections of the Kaplan/FA books.