D School Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bballa775

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

This is my plan for applying to Dental school and just wanted to see what you guys think. After shadowing a few close dentists that I know they all told me to apply early (without my BA). So I have decided to apply next year knowing that it is uncommon these days to get in without a BA. But my strategy is if I get rejected at least I am on file and the school will know me (by attending open houses and meeting professors). In addition, if they do reject me that gives me the opportunity to seek a reason and what I need to improve on, as opposed to getting a BA then possibly getting rejected and having to start a post-Bach program.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.40 GPA, an acceptance without a baccalaureate degree is very unlikely, as you seem to already be aware. I don't have the statistics but if you hunt around on this forum you should be able to find them. You may want to put quite a bit of thought into this before needlessly wasting hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Also, if you don't get accepted after obtaining your BS/BA, you don't necessarily have to do a post-bacc program. There may be other areas lacking in your application that instead need attention and improvement.

All you have to do is make sure you finish your bachelors degree before you would enter DS. You dont have to wait to graduate from undergrad to apply to DS.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think its impossible to get in. my good friend applied this last year with a 3.6 gpa, 19aa (got a 16 in RC), and somehow got accepted to NOVA. Every other school rejected him without interview. If you feel you can get a good enough score on your DAT and keep your grades upwards this next year, you can take a crack at it

Yea good points. Like I said I have talked to 3 dentists and an orthodontist who also teaches at the school and they all advised me to apply early. I totally understand its not likely I will get in applying early but at least I can get a definite reason and will be able to improve my application for the next cycle, therefore improve my chances.