D1 interested in omfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thDoc11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just an incoming D1 who may be interested in omfs. I know there's no way of knowing this early in the game but I want to start school of right. The thing is, I have a couple buddies who are also incoming medical students. My dental school doesn't incorporate med school curriculum so I was wondering if I should ask them for resources from their program? This was the advice I received by a dental student who is going into omfs. Are there specific topics I should seek out to have when it comes to studying for the cbse? Our school has no residency programs and is very much focused on general dentistry. Also heard that first aid would be a good book to have during d1.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a copy of First Aid NBDE and First Aid Step 1 in my D1 year. Honestly for most of the basic science classes FA Step 1 is an excellent reference. They have good mnemonics and other good ways of simplifying info.

I would also look into Sketchy micro when you get there, and I liked Pathoma for pathology. You will be able to learn better in your classes but also familiarize yourself with resources if you choose to take the CBSE.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a copy of First Aid NBDE and First Aid Step 1 in my D1 year. Honestly for most of the basic science classes FA Step 1 is an excellent reference. They have good mnemonics and other good ways of simplifying info.

I would also look into Sketchy micro when you get there, and I liked Pathoma for pathology. You will be able to learn better in your classes but also familiarize yourself with resources if you choose to take the CBSE.
Sounds good, thank you! If I remember correctly, sketchy micro and pathoma would be good to start D2 if you're planning on taking the cbse the following summer right?

Do most dental students get First Aid NBDE?

Members don't see this ad :)
Before anyone says contrary I just wanted to chime in and say that it's never too early to think about specializing if that is your goal. There are a lot of people who are very pro GP and have a more relaxed approach towards dental school. If you know you want a career in OMS make sure you start early and do the appropriate things to be competitive. You will be doing a lot of things that your classmates are not and that is okay.

I did a combined program and much of the material we covered in our classes were in excess of what was needed for the CBSE or USMLE 1. The latter has gone pass / fail for medical students. Therefore, I recommend focusing on USMLE 1 board prep rather than what your friends are doing in medical school.

Back in my day the most popular board prep for the CBSE was Sketchy micro, pathoma, USMLE first aid, and USMLE world question bank (probably the best resource). If you struggle with learning and organizing the material, I have heard Boards and Beyond is a great comprehensive systems based video/lecture review of the topics on the CBSE. But if you choose to do that then make sure and start very early.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Before anyone says contrary I just wanted to chine in and say that it's never too early to think about specializing if that is your goal. There are a lot of people who are very pro GP and have a more relaxed approach towards dental school. If you know you want a career in OMS make sure you start early and do the appropriate things to be competitive. You will be doing a lot of things that your classmates are not and that is okay.
Haha thanks! I know its early and decisions/goals may very well change. But like you said if someone enters school with an end goal of being a GP or OMFS in mind, the way they tackle school could potentially be very different. Just trying to make sure I have my bases covered. Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sounds good, thank you! If I remember correctly, sketchy micro and pathoma would be good to start D2 if you're planning on taking the cbse the following summer right?

Do most dental students get First Aid NBDE?
My argument would be that you should use them during your basic science classes in D1 year when you likely will have pathology and micro. Then when you are studying for CBSE, you will have already seen the material once.

It may depend on your school schedule but yes February of D2 is a good time for CBSE imo.

I don't know anymore as the NBDE has been phased out for the INBDE if people still get FA NBDE. Truthfully it wasn't that good anyways except maybe dental anatomy. FA Step 1 is much better for all basic sciences.

My argument would be that you should use them during your basic science classes in D1 year when you likely will have pathology and micro. Then when you are studying for CBSE, you will have already seen the material once.

It may depend on your school schedule but yes February of D2 is a good time for CBSE imo.

I don't know anymore as the NBDE has been phased out for the INBDE if people still get FA NBDE. Truthfully it wasn't that good anyways except maybe dental anatomy. FA Step 1 is much better for all basic sciences.
Gotchya okay! It looks like we cover biochem, path, and micro D2 where as D1 is more behavioral sciences, physiology/antomy, and histology.. not sure if that would sway your argument one way or another?

I've looked at different threads and I know there is no one way to study for the test. With that being said, does it make sense to go through B&B and make notes in FA, Pathoma while annotating with FA, then Sketchy micro/pharm annotating with FA, and then starting Uworld and referring back to FA? Is that good if you have the $$$ to do so or is that overkill? If one does use this many resources, how do you schedule them out if you wanted to take it summer after D2?

Last edited:
Gotchya okay! It looks like we cover biochem, path, and micro D2 where as D1 is more behavioral sciences, physiology/antomy, and histology.. not sure if that would sway your argument one way or another?

I've looked at different threads and I know there is no one way to study for the test. With that being said, does it make sense to go through B&B and make notes in FA, Pathoma while annotating with FA, then Sketchy micro/pharm annotating with FA, and then starting Uworld and referring back to FA? Is that good if you have the $$$ to do so or is that overkill? If one does use this many resources, how do you schedule them out if you wanted to take it summer after D2?
So my point is go through the CBSE resources in your classes as you do the classes. Then you will have separate time to study CBSE by itself.

I think it may be difficult to do boards and beyond and pathoma and UW. UW can also get very expensive as it a subscription model. I’d probably stick to FA at the beginning, maybe B&B and see how you feel with the material. Don’t get overwhelmed with too many materials, esp when you are just starting to pace yourself in d school.

reach out to D4s or others that have matched OMS at your school and ask them the best time to take CBSE and guidelines etc. imo the schools scheduling can make it much easier or harder.

So my point is go through the CBSE resources in your classes as you do the classes. Then you will have separate time to study CBSE by itself.

I think it may be difficult to do boards and beyond and pathoma and UW. UW can also get very expensive as it a subscription model. I’d probably stick to FA at the beginning, maybe B&B and see how you feel with the material. Don’t get overwhelmed with too many materials, esp when you are just starting to pace yourself in d school.

reach out to D4s or others that have matched OMS at your school and ask them the best time to take CBSE and guidelines etc. imo the schools scheduling can make it much easier or harder.
is it okay if I DM you?

is it okay if I DM you?
I just turned D2. I'm taking the CBSE July 30th. I piggy backed off the material my medical school friend used for his Step Preparation. I used Sketchy, some boards and beyond but not that much, I'm cramming pathoma right now with some Kaplan Q bank. Will start U world at the end of this month until test day. This is with juggling dental school classes

I just turned D2. I'm taking the CBSE July 30th. I piggy backed off the material my medical school friend used for his Step Preparation. I used Sketchy, some boards and beyond but not that much, I'm cramming pathoma right now with some Kaplan Q bank. Will start U world at the end of this month until test day. This is with juggling dental school classes
Good luck! I was discussing with periodont, I think it’d be a good idea to start B&B and refer back and forth with FA D1 year and if I’m feeling confident and want to further strive for OMFS, I’ll start pathoma and sketchy either next summer or start of D2 and finish with Uworld. You think that sounds solid? Figured if anything B&B would help build a solid foundation and do well in my D1 courses anyways

Good luck! I was discussing with periodont, I think it’d be a good idea to start B&B and refer back and forth with FA D1 year and if I’m feeling confident and want to further strive for OMFS, I’ll start pathoma and sketchy either next summer or start of D2 and finish with Uworld. You think that sounds solid? Figured if anything B&B would help build a solid foundation and do well in my D1 courses anyways
My perspective is having one year of grad school before walking into dental school so I was already brought up to speed with the level of rigor dental school brings. I do think BoardsnBeyond is good since you may have never even touched pharmacology or immunology in your life. I would sprinkle in Sketchy though. It is hard to understand pharmacology if you don't know physiology or immunology at all, so maybe start sketchy after stepping through BnB one time through. Shoot for maybe end of Christmas being done once with BnB and then start sketchy as you're coming back. It's a really hard and often times lonely road to study part time for the USMLE. You probably will be the only person trying it this early, like me haha.

My perspective is having one year of grad school before walking into dental school so I was already brought up to speed with the level of rigor dental school brings. I do think BoardsnBeyond is good since you may have never even touched pharmacology or immunology in your life. I would sprinkle in Sketchy though. It is hard to understand pharmacology if you don't know physiology or immunology at all, so maybe start sketchy after stepping through BnB one time through. Shoot for maybe end of Christmas being done once with BnB and then start sketchy as you're coming back. It's a really hard and often times lonely road to study part time for the USMLE. You probably will be the only person trying it this early, like me haha.
Haha yea that is a possibility! The reason I was thinking of holding off on sketchy and pathoma is that we don’t start micro, biochem, and pathology until D2 and pharm D3.. I’ll definitely start with B&B and Fa and see how things go.. who knows, maybe that will be overwhelming enough lol

Haha yea that is a possibility! The reason I was thinking of holding off on sketchy and pathoma is that we don’t start micro, biochem, and pathology until D2 and pharm D3.. I’ll definitely start with B&B and Fa and see how things go.. who knows, maybe that will be overwhelming enough lol
You will see very very quickly. A tidal wave will crash over your head. But, it happened to all of us. It's a right of passage