D1 Student worried about hand skill grading for specialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tvirtumas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m currently a finished D1 who’s going to finish the year with a 3.9. I’m worried about how my hand skills will be next year since more of the grading is based on what we can do.

I’m interested in OMFS and would look to start studying for the CBSE since we get no time 3rd year. Currently, my hands are solid but I’m worried that can change.

Would it be worth my time to study for the CBSE now or should I wait and see? Have you seen a student who got good grades 1st year and practice often not be able to specialize due to hand skills?
Hand skills won’t keep you from specializing. You can be trained on that. Kill the CBSE.

Reactions: 1 user
Only focus on what you can control, which is your effort. Do your best in school and on the CBSE, and don’t compare yourself to others. Grading can be subjective and frustrating, but it’s something every student faces. One suggestion that helped me was to only think about the positives of this challenge, not the negatives or potential pitfalls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't seen someone not specialize because of hand skills. Most entry into specialty programs are based on grades, rank, interest in the field, research, etc. I know what you mean though about how poor hand skills could lead to less ideal grades and subsequently a lower ranking. However, like previous posters have mentioned, most hand skills can be taught and honed with good practice. If you find yourself struggling for some reason, ask someone with good hand skills from the class above for advice/guidance.

1st year operative 1 course I was a B student in terms of prep and fills. I asked someone from the class above who was good and he sat with me for a few practice runs with tips on what worked for him. Spring semester rolls around and I got an A and became an operative course tutor as a 2nd year. "Practice does not mean perfect. Perfect practice means perfect."

Reactions: 1 users
I’m currently a finished D1 who’s going to finish the year with a 3.9. I’m worried about how my hand skills will be next year since more of the grading is based on what we can do.

I’m interested in OMFS and would look to start studying for the CBSE since we get no time 3rd year. Currently, my hands are solid but I’m worried that can change.

Would it be worth my time to study for the CBSE now or should I wait and see? Have you seen a student who got good grades 1st year and practice often not be able to specialize due to hand skills?
It was been my experience that the "Fumble Finger" people weed themselves out long before specializing becomes an issue.

You will develop hand skills with lots of practice. Now is a good time to start studying for the CBSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.