Good (cordless) headlight to recommend for D1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

planisphere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new fresh D1 who just had a loupe fair at the school.
I'm pretty much set on Ergo design from q-optics, but their cordless headlight lasts only 2 hours.

Anyone was in the same pickle that he/she had to find a headlight from another company to goes along well with your different-brand loupes?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Curious as to why you’re going cordless. I’m almost certain no one in my class is buying a cordless light. Just too much of a hassle for our current situation.

Lumadents cordless light I believe lasts for 4-6 hours and classmates as well as upper classmen have lumaden corded light with their other branded loupes so it seems to work out. I’d imagine their cordless would work for Q-optics as well

Reactions: 1 user
Curious as to why you’re going cordless. I’m almost certain no one in my class is buying a cordless light. Just too much of a hassle for our current situation.

Lumadents cordless light I believe lasts for 4-6 hours and classmates as well as upper classmen have lumaden corded light with their other branded loupes so it seems to work out. I’d imagine their cordless would work for Q-optics as well
It's been a while! Hope you are doing well in your school.
I mean isn't cordless supposed to be more comfy while you do stuff both in preclinic and clinic? I don't want wires to get in the way, or am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cordless has its merits. So does wired.

When I was in dental school, I swore I would get a cordless light when I graduate. In school, you often take off your loupes so yes, cordless light would be more convenient.

Now that I've graduated and see pt constantly through the day, wired is certainly better. MUCH brighter lights, I don't have to turn off the light for 8 hours and still have charge, and the wire doesn't really bother me once I set it up well in the morning.

I use the orascoptic lights.

I did try the spark. It does add weight to the loupes and certainly convenient as wireless. Ask yourself if the light intensity and battery life are worth sacrificing for going wireless.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, I am a new fresh D1 who just had a loupe fair at the school.
I'm pretty much set on Ergo design from q-optics, but their cordless headlight lasts only 2 hours.

Anyone was in the same pickle that he/she had to find a headlight from another company to goes along well with your different-brand loupes?

Thanks...
I have the ergos from q-optics. I love them. I don't think you should go cordless though. I think it would be too much weight and the wired ones work really well/I have never had an issue with the wire.

It's been a while! Hope you are doing well in your school.
I mean isn't cordless supposed to be more comfy while you do stuff both in preclinic and clinic? I don't want wires to get in the way, or am I missing something?
Many loupe vendors will provide clamps of some sort that can attach to your scrubs so that the cord can be guided out of your working field and field of vision. 2 main things to think of when buying loupes is the magnification you want and the price you are willing to pay. Some people care about the weight too but I never found that to be a major concern with the wired options, as stated above. In my opinion, you should think simple and cheap considering you will be using your loans to pay for them and you can always get a better pair once you graduate and know what you're looking for.

I have Q-optics. Great battery life and comfy, and also were the cheapest.

I use lumadent wireless battery light.
They are light and last about 2 to 3 hrs and then I charge them.
however their light is not as comparable to the light I had from the wired types.
But you don't know how much the wire caused me fraustrations and mini-accidents.
Not to mention the dread, and did I mention the self-hatred everytime the wire got tangled or the battery fell from pocket.
and it made me stupider.
So the wireless light worked fine for me. I bought it for d4 and I use it now in my GPR clinic. I charge it daily..
I mean I wish it was brighter, but I guess when I have more money, I'll upgrade to another brand...maybe

I’m a surgeon, so I use a surgical hand lamp. It may look goofy for a dentist to wear one, but the brightness and battery life can’t compare with the tiny dental lights on the market. Maybe worth considering once you graduate.

I’m a surgeon, so I use a surgical hand lamp. It may look goofy for a dentist to wear one, but the brightness and battery life can’t compare with the tiny dental lights on the market. Maybe worth considering once you graduate.

Yes, let's bring a bulldozer to shovel sand with the kids on the playground.

I have the ergos from q-optics. I love them. I don't think you should go cordless though. I think it would be too much weight and the wired ones work really well/I have never had an issue with the wire.
How is your ergo from q-optics??? I am only D1, but my neck and back already hurts during wax-up/preps. I will have a prescribed lens, so I believe it will already add some weight. Are cordless lights heavier? If so, I should definitely go for cordless.

How is your ergo from q-optics??? I am only D1, but my neck and back already hurts during wax-up/preps. I will have a prescribed lens, so I believe it will already add some weight. Are cordless lights heavier? If so, I should definitely go for cordless.
Cordless lights are heavier as they have to have the battery pack near the light

I use the orascoptic dragon fly, I am very happy with the purchase.