D3 sport in college or forget about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAGABLM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Asking for a friend"

I can get accepted to a "public ivy" and be one of hundreds of students who try not to get weeded out... or go to a small D3 school (average academically) and play sport and "standout". Either way, I will need a good MCAT score. I am confident I will get As or Bs in state school but straight A's in D3 school. I still need to "check all the boxes" in either setting. So, does playing D3 sport make any difference? Of course, I enjoy the sport and am a competitive athlete. (Top 10% for that D3 school.) So yeah. small fish in big pond or big fish in small pond. With medical school as the goal, what do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your friend can manage a 3.95 or better while playing a varsity sport and do well on the MCAT (equivalent to an 1590 on the SAT), then the undergrad institution won't matter in the least. As the GPA sinks, and if the MCAT is less than stellar, then the student's status relative to students at schools known for their academic rigor will decline precipitously.

Small schools that have smaller classes often provide more opportunities for students to interact with full-time faculty (not TAs, not adjunct professors) and get letters of recommendation that are very meaningful. Sometimes the competition for research opportunities and the like is less robust and a student can find a placement much more easily than in a big school with literally thousands of freshman pre-meds (far fewer as the years go on like a season of Survivor).

Reactions: 3 users
Go to the D3 school and play your sport. You will carry those experiences and friendships with you for the rest of your life and may be the last chance you have to play your sport competitively. Also, getting straight A's at the D3 school will benefit you more than getting a lower GPA at an ivy IMO.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Asking for a friend"

I can get accepted to a "public ivy" and be one of hundreds of students who try not to get weeded out... or go to a small D3 school (mediocre academically) and play sport and "standout". Either way, I will need a good MCAT score. I am confident I will get As or Bs in state school but straight A's in D3 school. I still need to "check all the boxes" in either setting. So, does playing D3 sport makes any difference? Of course, I enjoy the sport and am a competitive athlete. (Top 10% for that D3 school.) So yeah. small fish in big pond or big fish in small pond. With medical school as the goal, what do you all think?
You need to pick the situation that is best for you if you want to get into medical school. And only you know which one. Keep in mind you need grades and MCATs whether you go Ivy or D3.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses. The sport can be played outside of college via adult leagues or club level etc. So it won't end.

And it is only a "public ivy" state university and not the private ones. (It is harder and harder to get into those state schools but definitely not comparable to the private ones.)

The other difference to throw in would be D3 = full ride to $13K (room and board) or state school = $25K (very low odd of merit scholarship).

100K is a lot of money over 4 years... 48K still matters but overall, the difference is not that much anymore.

Last edited:
I don't know if D3 athletics comes with scholarships. I would ask what type of community and support exists for prehealth students at either school. A bigger school can have advisors but they may not be very accessible or knowledgeable. A smaller school may not have many data points or any dedicated, knowledgeable advisors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There are no scholarships in D3 - at least none athletically

There are no scholarships in D3 - at least none athletically
The student fully understands that D3 has no athletic scholarship; it would all be merit. Hence it is an average college attracting top high school scholars. If full ride merit, then playing sport is really just a bonus... and perhaps one way to stand out among the sea of MD applicants. Thus, the question perhaps is: is D3 student athlete "worth" that much as a MD applicant.... everything else is just $$$.

The big state school has medical school, hospital, etc and sends many students to medical school around the country. It is just a big school with many smart students that weeds out students.

As for the small school - yes - some research has to be done with current pre-med students and school advisors to see if they can provide committee letters etc.

Thanks for the responses again.

Last edited:
Don’t necessarily think the boost from a public Ivy would be worth it if you’re dead set on medical school. If there is a chance you shift career choice (which is a significant possibility considering the attrition rate of premeds), choose the public Ivy (assuming UVA, Berkeley, UCLA, Chapel Hill etc.) all of which place well from what I’ve seen.

Reactions: 1 users