da da da da DATTSSSSSSSS ALL FOLKS! DAT DONE! 8/12/11! aka I MADE IT!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wired202808

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT 20 (79%)
QR 17 (76%)
RC 25 (97%) :D so damn good makes you wanna slap yo momma!
BIO 19 (77%)
GC 18 (62%)
OC 19 (71%)
Total Science 18 (63%)
Academic Average 20 (88%)

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone on this site! Each and every individual who has helped me through this journey. This has been the most stressful time of my life because I wanted this more than I wanted to breathe. I have taken exams that were important before, but I never ever cared. The morning before my exam I wanted to barf! I wish I didnt have to take this exam because I was scared of failing. Of getting a 16 and thinking I aint good enough for dental school.

I considered myself as a bricklayer. I do not have a 3.99 GPA and I am not blessed by my parents genes to be smarter than Einstein. I am an average guy, but I excel in my work habits. For this exam, I gave up going outside. You read it right. I allowed myself to leave the house maybe once or twice a week. When I came out, I felt like a savage who could not believe that there are people outside, PLAYING AND HAVING FUN! How dare they enjoy life? Life is all about the DAT, and nothing else :D

Before I get to my breakdown I want to give hope to all those people who doubt they can make it, to those that doubt they can success, to those that wish they would have taken the "easy road" in life. I dedicate this to you, remember the Great Wall of China was not built overnight, they built it just like they build all other buildings/walls..... ONE BRICK AT A TIME!

Breakdown:

PAT (20)
ADA 2009: 19 - Pretty Representative
Keyholes: On par with CDP however I recommend getting your hands on Topscore, Achiever and ADA 2009.

TFE: Almost on par with CDP, but is a bit harder.

Angles: A JOKE COMPARED TO CDP! Angles so wide, a blind man tell them a part lol no offense just super easy!

Holepunching: DAMN EASY! Easier than CDP. I used ConDogs modified grid method, I put a Cross for each problem, instead of a 4x4 grid, its less time and I can pretty much figure out where the holes go.

Cube Counting: Easy easy easy! Thank g-d its not like CDP, the last CDP I did I had structures with over 30 cubes, that was just BS lol

Pattern Folding: Harder than CDP, on par with Achiever. Do this one carefully as this was the most confusing section.

I finished with 10 minutes to spare and I double checked all my angle problems (i usually get those wrong)

QR (17)
ADA 2009 - 18; dont remember how this would compare to the real DAT.
Not to brag, this score is low but the questions were damn easy, it was more like Topscore with a few hard Math Destroyer problems. Math Destroyer is much harder, but here its about time. Some questions take too much time to get right, so I skipped them and moved on. I went back to review stuff but did not have enough time to do all that I wanted. I'm horrible at math so I'll take the 17.

Bio (19)
ADA 2009 - 17? Same level of breadth and depth.

My recommendation is to do all the Topscore, Achiever, Destroyer problems, BUT THEN....... READ THE CRAP OUT OF ALL THE BIO YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON! This exam is like a random lottery in terms of Bio, and I know if I would have spent all my time reading bio for another 2 weeks, I would have gotten more questions correct. The questions are both specific and broad, you either know it or you don't. I would say read read read, I will also leave you guys with a major GIFT! For some reason NO ONE HAS EVEN MENTIONED THIS! But you can get Campbells for FREE! Not the book, but the PowerPoint Slides that are awesome and have all the necessary info! If I could do it again I would re-read all those in the week before the exam, even if it feels like its too much, you dont know what your brain remembers until you're under pressure and guess what somehow you remember this bullcrap little fact you read somewhere and BAM! go it right... NEXT!

http://www.course-notesDOT.org/Biology/Slides/Campbells_Biology_7th_Edition

Remove the DOT to get the linl.

GC (18)
ADA: 18 or 19;
This was MUCH MUCH MUCH HARDER than the 2009 ADA test. The questions were confusing as sheet. Some setups were there but they were confusing. I knew this section was crap after I was done. Its confusing and hard to prepare for. It did not feel like Chad's or Destroyer or TopScore or Achiever, it was a weird mix of confusing problems and setups that made my head hurt. I'm fine with this score and I wish I didnt study as much for this, it wasn't as easy as Chad and was probably on level of confusing as Destroyer (if not harder) Granted some Q's were easy, but a lot were marked and I didnt review them all.

OC (19)
ADA: 19; MUCH HARDER THAN 2009

I heard from peeps that this section was easy, BS and KAKA DUDU LOL thats all I have to say, there were def a few WTF questions. Some stuff was basic, but it was NOT A CAKE WALK! I felt pretty good about this section, but knew I didnt do that well after it was done. This seems like a gimme section for those that are lucky to get it, mine was hindered by WTF questions that ate my score like a fat kid eats cake!

RC(25) :eek:
ADA 2009: 18 :laugh: go screw yourself fake ADA test!
America has the Statue of Liberty, France has the Eiffel Tower, China has the Great Wall, and WIRED HAS READING BY THE BALLS! HAHAHA

I am very very very very happy about this section. I ate it up and then asked for more. This is the thanks I get from all those books that I read. From 2005 to middle of 2007, I read over 200 books (plus another 50 books unfinished) I used to ride the train and would read EVERY SINGLE DAY ABOUT 100 PAGES! I feel in love with reading and this is where it shows. I dont brag but this is the time I will. The best resource for reading hands down is CDR! Achiever is retarted and so is ADA 2009. While topscore is pretty equivalent to this, CDR tests you in a nice way (while I disagreed with some of the answers in CDR, the 10 test edition is worth every juicy penny)

I hit a few 23's on CDR and hit about 21 and 22's on Topscore. Achiever was a kick in the groin with 15s, 16s, 17s.

Method I used to score 25................ SEARCH AND DESTROY! MODIFIED! I read the first and last paragraph when I start a passage, n then I bomb for details BUT lets say I find detail #2 for problem #2, not only will I read that WHOLE PARAGRAPH, but I'll also read the one after it. Usually I get the whole passage out of the way very fast, I finished the first passage in about 13 minutes with all questions, then I slowed down, n then I killed the last one and had time to review.

All I can say for this is READ READ READ! Passages were mainly non-science based, but it helps to get comfy reading on a PC, while is 100000 times different than reading paper books. (google it, if you dont believe me)

All In all I am VERY VERY HAPPY! While I cannot brag about my NS, I am in the top 3% percentile when it comes to Reading. Oh I forgot to mention.... English is my 2nd language. :D

Thank you again all my friends, without you I would be nothing. I learned all about this test from you guys and I want to say thanks for the bottom of my heart.

PS. While my NS sucks, does anyone know how schools like Columbia would look at me?

I have a 3.40 GPA, 3.51sGPA, and a 3.65 BCP. I know my AA is probably their average, but my Reading is a monster and I want to use it and abuse it.

I'm a NY resident and I am debating where else to apply. Thanks y'all. To continue to spread the love, please post anything about the exam and I will answer it (as long as its not specific Q's; I will not violate the ADA policy)

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the scores, they are very competitive combined with your gpa. about how much extra time did you have on RC when you were done answering all the questions?

230.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations!
damn that RC looks nice

I guess you must have gotten a hard version for science, but great job!

great job wired! enjoy having your life back! looks like you did get the hard science sections, i know you knew your shiz!

thanks everyone for the well wishes! i def needed you guys to make it! unfortunately my crappy QR score keeps me out of the 21+ AA thread. but im still almost up there.

ahhh what it feels like! haha i wanna leave my house forever and never go back to my room. haha im starting to hate sitting here hahaha

Congrats dude! These are very solid scores!

mr polar bear, thanks for you're help mate! i know i reached out to you on many occasions, and you're amazing science skills were there for me. do you know any scores that heavily favor RC? do you think Columbia is a possibility?

Members don't see this ad :)
mr polar bear, thanks for you're help mate! i know i reached out to you on many occasions, and you're amazing science skills were there for me. do you know any scores that heavily favor RC? do you think Columbia is a possibility?

No problem dude, I'm happy I can help.

Columbia would be quite a stretch, as they jizz all over 22+ DATs, and avoid other DAT scores like the plague. The average accepted student last year had a DAT AA score of 22 (~98 percentile). Not saying your scores are bad, but Columbia has highest average DATs in the nation, even higher than Harvard's (21).

There is an excel file that shows you how much each school cares about each section of the DAT. Have a look! It summarizes the ADEA handbook.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=700459

Congratulations Wired on your excellent scores man, you definitely do deserve it after you put in so much time helping out other people like me. Congrats on being done too.

Congratulations Wired on your excellent scores man, you definitely do deserve it after you put in so much time helping out other people like me. Congrats on being done too.

Hannibal, I know you'll kill it man! its not that bad as most people say. I thought bio was nice and not as crazy as folks make it out to be. But I def got spanked by gc and OC. just study and go in! PS dont sheet a brick like I did during PAT, feeling that you just bombed the whole science section!

No problem dude, I'm happy I can help.

Columbia would be quite a stretch, as they jizz all over 22+ DATs, and avoid other DAT scores like the plague. The average accepted student last year had a DAT AA score of 22 (~98 percentile). Not saying your scores are bad, but Columbia has highest average DATs in the nation, even higher than Harvard's (21).

There is an excel file that shows you how much each school cares about each section of the DAT. Have a look! It summarizes the ADEA handbook.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=700459

thanks bear. ill review it. Ye i can life w/o Columbia, just wondering. I'm more focused on Buffalo or Stony (since they're instate and cheap) at least this way I can be close to home (i hope i get into east coast schools) I really dont want to go far away.

thanks bear. ill review it. Ye i can life w/o Columbia, just wondering. I'm more focused on Buffalo or Stony (since they're instate and cheap) at least this way I can be close to home (i hope i get into east coast schools) I really dont want to go far away.

Yeah, try to go to the cheapest school you can.

In the end, we're all gonna be dentists.

thank you golfguy! appreciate it! you were inspirational too as I know you got your sciences down pat!

I thought you were impressed with my 16 QR, lol.

A 20 should snag you some interviews and acceptances. That RC sticks out like a John Holmes. :eek:

I thought you were impressed with my 16 QR, lol.

A 20 should snag you some interviews and acceptances. That RC sticks out like a John Holmes. :eek:

hahaha thanks mate! QR was funny, i thought it was so easy, i was almost sure i would score like a 19 in it. once i was done, i skipped that bs survey and just waited for the loading n my eyes dropped to the AA. I wanted to get up and yell lol and scare the crap out of those MCATers haha

Math is a gamble, i think it depends on how fast you can do it, plus how good your guess is. I am shocked at those that manage to break a 20 in QR. I'm just glad I got a 19 in bio (which seems competitive) plus the RC saved my AA and that schools care about Bio and Rc more than anything is what matters.

Congrats, AA 20 and every section above a 17. You now have nothing to worry about. Apply sensibly and you will be bound to get in somewhere!

Great job. Destroyed that reading. Feels good to be done, right?:)

I agree, the QR was very mysterious in that the problems seemed so easy. And then when looking at the score, it was like :confused:.