Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Arizona
Status
I lived in Nova Scotia for two years and grew to love the people and the area. I am applying there but they only accept 6 US students every year.

Any thoughts on this school? I searched the archives and it is highly regarded and seems very competitive. Is it next to impossible to be accepted to these Canadian schools?

DB#1

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Burlington, ONTARIO
Status
Ruprick said:
I lived in Nova Scotia for two years and grew to love the people and the area. I am applying there but they only accept 6 US students every year.

Any thoughts on this school? I searched the archives and it is highly regarded and seems very competitive. Is it next to impossible to be accepted to these Canadian schools?

Yeah, it is competitive to get into Dal. and all other Canadian schools.
I think you need an A average if you are from outside Novascotia,
and you need to have good marks in your Microbio and Physiology.
I applied there too, good luck.
E-mail Nancy, shes realy nice and helpfull.

OP
Ruprick

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Arizona
Status
bump

I'd really like to hear what anyone else thinks .....

germ

Riding Dirty
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
South
Its a good school considered one of the top in Canada. They take about 35 students, however the application pool is only about 160

dentite001

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Status
You need a lot of prereq's for Dalhousie. That being said, the class sizes are small and the tuition is probably the best deal anywhere. I doubt many Americans apply there. If you like the culture, go for it.

OP
Ruprick

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Arizona
Status
dentite001 said:
You need a lot of prereq's for Dalhousie. That being said, the class sizes are small and the tuition is probably the best deal anywhere. I doubt many Americans apply there. If you like the culture, go for it.
I have all the pre-req's except for biochem, which I will take this summer.

My concern is my science GPA, which is about 3.5. I'm not sure if that is competitive enough to get into a Canadian dental school.

snwman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2004
Status
They take 6 american students, but that number is a little misleading at first. Those spots are first offered to any qualified Maine student who wants them. Dal has an agreement with the state of Maine (which is in dire need of dentists and has no dental school of its own) to save 6 seats. The way I understand it is that if those spots arent used up by Maine students, then they are opened up to the rest of the US, although I dont know if other states may have a simmilar program. This may seem a little unfair at the start, but the fact is, Maine rarely uses any of those seats, let alone all 6. Maine sends maybe 5 students to dental school a year, and most stay in the US (I turned down my interview invite at Dal for another school). There are a couple of reasons the agreement exists. 1) like I said, Maine realy needs dentists. 2) our "state" dental school is UCONN, and for those of us who want to go into general practice, thats not the best match. 3) Maine is geographicaly close to Dal. 4) Dal was built years ago with funds stolen when the French raided the British fort in Machais (Maine) and rumor has it this is a way to pay that back somewhat.

OP
Ruprick

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Arizona
Status
snwman said:
They take 6 american students, but that number is a little misleading at first. Those spots are first offered to any qualified Maine student who wants them.
That's good to know, thanks!

golfpro3

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Status
I am from the U.S. and am in Dalhousies dental school. In my class there are 36 students. 30 from Canada, 2 from Maine, and 4 from Utah. Dalhousie is an awesome dental school and I love it here. With our small class size we have a great time together as a class.
If you are from the states I would say to apply here for sure. especially anyone who applies late, becuase they don't interview until march/april, and They let me know I was accpeted in mid-late april. I heard it may be a little later for the candians to find out.

princessfiona

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Dalhousie has an excellent reputation across Canada and internationally. The best oral surgeons in Canada have come from the specialty pogram through Dal.

Apply- where else can you go to dental school for about $65000 Canadian for 4 years tuition? Nova Scotia is beautiful.

Nancy Webb is the contact that a previous poster noted. She is very helpful. Dal's GPA average is high. Translates to A- average.

I have an interview this Saturday at Dalhousie.

Good luck