Dallas area moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenGeek

PGY4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am off-cycle PGY3 at a SoCal program. I start 4th year next month. I have followed SDN and it has helped me get into med school, my original Anesthesia residency and even switching over into a Psych residency mid-PGY2 year that I absolutely love. You guys rock!

Basically, I'm looking to relocate to Dallas when I graduate next spring so that my family can be closer to our relatives in Southlake/Irving/Plano. I was interested in finding out about moonlighting opportunities in the Dallas area so I get a feel for the area and build some connections. I hope to have my suboxone and TX medical license by March. I've browsed the web and haven't found much. I've signed up for websites to find opportunities but just got bombarded with a thousand recruiters to fill positions that require BE/BC. I know here in California we find out about moderately lucrative moonlighting opportunities ($130-200 per hour) mostly through connections and could use some help doing the same in Dallas.

Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Just cold call facilities directly, explain who you are and what you can offer. They'll tell you if you can be used or not.

The primary turn-key opportunity in Dallas is at Green Oaks Hospital, which is a large private hospital. You work in the ED; rates range between $100-150/hour depending on the time and need for shifts. I work there currently and it’s an enjoyable experience.

Timberlawn is closed so that’s no longer an option. There used to be a good amount of moonlighting available at Terrell State Hospital (about an hour or so away from Dallas), however they’ve hired additional staff and the need for moonlighters has evaporated.

A buddy of mine moonlights at Greenhouse, which is a private substance-treatment facility essentially doing psychiatric evaluations for reasons other than those directly related to substance use issues. In other words, a patient is admitted, a detox regimen is started by another physician, and on intake the patient complains of _____ psychiatric symptom and he sees them. He gets paid somewhere in the range of $150/hour to do this.

One of the senior residents here does telehealth for an urgent care center around here, essentially evaluating patients that present with psychiatric complaints. He gets paid an hourly rate (something around $50/hour) for simply being on call and then an additional per-head fee (something like $100/eval). I don’t know much about the position beyond that.

I’ve heard of a few other places that are attempting to hire moonlighters but the conditions aren’t great (worse pay than the above, don’t cover malpractice, etc.). I haven’t tried cold-calling places as I’m pretty happy with the Green Oaks gig but I’m sure there are many opportunities available if you’re willing to go off the beaten path.

Reactions: 1 users