Damage control, in need of advice regarding lack of away EM rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think most EM people care about research, so I don't think that's an issue.

If I remember correctly, SLORs can properly only be written by academic EM faculty, that is to say attendings at a residency program. I think the consensus is that it's pretty important to have SLORs from appropriate writers.

I guess I'd try to cast a wider net for aways. I know my [awesome, new] program is very DO friendly but I have no idea what the situation is for med student away rotations. I can try to check if you want.

It sounds like you have some great strengths in your app though. Be careful about saying you didn't get honors because of a technicality; I have no idea what the situation is but some people are very touchy about anything that sounds like externalizing blame for grades. Good luck!

I don't think most EM people care about research, so I don't think that's an issue.

If I remember correctly, SLORs can properly only be written by academic EM faculty, that is to say attendings at a residency program. I think the consensus is that it's pretty important to have SLORs from appropriate writers.

I guess I'd try to cast a wider net for aways. I know my [awesome, new] program is very DO friendly but I have no idea what the situation is for med student away rotations. I can try to check if you want.

It sounds like you have some great strengths in your app though. Be careful about saying you didn't get honors because of a technicality; I have no idea what the situation is but some people are very touchy about anything that sounds like externalizing blame for grades. Good luck!
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was externalizing blame. If it happens it is definitely my fault. What I mean is that I worked really hard and earned good evaluations but was a couple days late filling out the survey we are required to fill out about how we liked the rotation. I'm not sure if that will affect honors or not. Thanks a lot for the feedback btw. If you wouldn't mind checking for me or PMing me a number to call I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
My program (UMass) is DO friendly on the east coast. We have DO away students and DO residents. I don't know if you can get an earlier rotation since it's already September. But because MSPEs don't go out until October anyway, I don't think you'll be at a huge disadvantage if you get a SLOR from your October rotation.

This is the link if you're interested in trying to get an away at UMass: http://www.umassmed.edu/fourthyearelective.aspx

Good luck with everything and try not to make yourself crazy worrying about things you can't change. You have great board scores and clinical grades, and you should do fine with the match.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement and tips everyone! It is easy to get caught up in this whole process.

In a similar vein, how detrimental is it going to be to high pass an away rotation? My med school has an EM residency and I've already done my home rotation. Was just doing an away to experience a new type of program.